This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hipsters

Comments

• These are pretty cool shirts:Japanese CyclopsFahrenheit 451
    Could those people look more depressed.
    edited August 2010
    It's all a status game. Say you like something that other people might frown upon in the subculture? No problem, you like it ironically. You like Miley Cyrus? Not cool. You Ironically like it? You're cool again.
    Which is why I say that they're insecure and that I find it dumb.

EDIT: Also, abundant use of quotes whenever you talk about these 'hipsters'.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited August 2010
    Could those people look more depressed.
    Nope because they "hate" wearing that shirt.

EDIT: We should do an SLC Punk remake with Hipsters...
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • Well, I think the real problem is that their enjoyment of things is disingenuous. That makes it hard to really form a bond of any sort, unless you're "in the know." Even then, the whole social structure is only based around "being in the know" and not actually about what anyone really likes.

It's sort of the opposite direction of, say, shonen fighting or cheesy metal. You like a shonen fighting show or Amon Amarthdespitethe fact that they're both stupid; you still actually like them, and you're honest about it. A hipster only likes things - or pretends to like things - that they thinkarestupid. The former is more honest and makes for better social interaction.
    That's really how I think that being a hipster boils down simply to their own personal attitude. A hipster can't necessarily be defined by their clothes, facial hair or accessories, because if they truly love them with a passion, then you can't really hate them for that. Now, if that same person is into something you do not know or that you are personally not a fan of, and chooses to ostracize you or look at you as a lesser person because you are not like the person in question, then they are a hipster.

The person would have to take half-and-half to be the negative stereotype of a person.
  • The problem with this is that hipsters 'ironically' like things that others just like. Example: Darkwing Duck is awesome. You'll see insecure 'hipsters' who 'ironically' wear a Darkwing Duck shirt.
    That kind of makes sense. I like Darkwing Duck. I liked it as a kid. I've seen some of it recently, and it holds up.

That being said, I wouldn't wear a Darkwing Duck shirt. I don't like it that much. Nor do I think a shirt with Darkwing Duck on it is very styling.
  • That being said, I wouldn't wear a Darkwing Duck shirt. I don't like it that much. Nor do I think a shirt with Darkwing Duck on it is very styling.
    I wish I had a Darkwing Duck shirt...

I do have a Chip n' Dale: Rescue Rangers shirt, though, and it's pretty damn awesome.
  • edited August 2010
    What's funny is I was thinking about fixies earlier today, and I think based on it my camaro is the hipster equivalent of a sports car. :P
    A Pacer is a hipster's sports car.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • edited August 2010
    Holy crap I wrote a long, boring post here. Redacted.

tl;dr - Hipsters are just people in a clique, doin' a thing that is different from your thing. Like any trend or subculture that is entertainment- or socialization-based, it is only meaningful to people inside it. If they bother you, ignore them.
    Post edited by balderdash on
  • If you answered yes, the person you are looking at considers themselves to be a Hipster
    This is not accurate. Much like goths, the more of a hipster a person is, the more likely they are to deny it.
  • Darkwing Duck was the best back in the day. But the older I get, the more I see Tale Spin as the clear winner of the Disney Afternoon.
  • Darkwing Duck was the best back in the day. But the older I get, the more I see Tale Spin as the clear winner of the Disney Afternoon.
    Gargoyles was the best in regards to an over-arching story, but Tale Spin was probably the best purely episodic show.
  • I think the reason to look down on hipsters is that they are not productive. In fact, they are the opposite of productive. Despite being against pop-culture, they are ultimately consumerist and materialistic. Granted, some geekeries are also this way, such as comic collectors. However, most geekeries are productive. Most of the awesome creations we see on the Internet every day are from geeks. What to hipsters make? They don't make shit. They buy clothes, they buy beer, they play online poker all day, watch movies. When is the last time you saw a hipster make something awesome? At least hippies made music and beatniks made poetry and literature.
  • Hipsters do make music and poetry and stuff. Where are you getting this online poker thing?
  • Hipsters do make music and poetry and stuff. Where are you getting this online poker thing?
    I know some hipster types who sit around doing nothing but playing WoW/online poker all day. It's more that it's something that trust fund kids do. They don't have to work, so they play video games and watch movies all day. There's just a large crossover between the trust funders and the hipsters.
  • edited August 2010
    While I share disdain for unproductive hipsters, I generally hate the term "hipster" being used as a derisive adjective for anything new, unusual, countercultural, "too" creative, or uncomfortable in the eyes of the mainstream. It attaches to works and things described as such that "if you like X thing, than you are an annoying faux-ironic loser fuck." This is not an uncommon phenomenon; things I have seen described as such include:

-Threadless, Teefury, Woot!, and DBH shirts (just now on Facebook)
    -Indie music, from the Decemberists to Andrew Jackson Jihad.
    -Underground comix or comics considered bizarre because they are not Underwear Pervert books. This includes Maus, the works of R. Crumb and Chris Ware, Love and Rockets, and American Splendor.
    -Films people don't understand or make them uncomfortable.

If you want to discuss pseudointellectual bullshit, the people who write off shit they don't get or don't like as "hipster fuckery" are at least as guilty as the subculture they despise so much.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Hipsters n. People who engage in illogical activities/wear apparel that makes them look unpleasant.

P.S. Note to hipsters: the reason no one's heard of your favorite band is because it sucks.
  • Who are these trust fund kids? I've never met anyone with a trust fund.
  • Who are these trust fund kids? I've never met anyone with a trust fund.
    No, you only think you haven't. It's not hip to make it public knowledge that you're a trust fund baby.
  • Sadly? My stepsisters...Their mom is the County Executive, and her parents left behind money. My eldest stepsister used it all to go to college though, so the younger of my two stepsisters (both are older than me, though) didn't have as much for her college education, which she dropped out of anyway.

Seriously, trust funds are more trouble than they're worth. I mean, I wish I had one to pay for RIT, but my stepsisters are spoiled as all hell.
  • edited August 2010
    One who has a skull so frail that I might crush it with a single head-butt yet who's bodies are so filled with PBR pisswater that they are inedible, also they are thin and quite wiry. Best to avoid.
    Post edited by Sova on
  • They are all Nazi's.. or Communists or is it Terrorists now......(Punk.... Goth.... Emo.....hipster?)......
  • To all of you who "hate" the hipsters, be wary of following the trend that every American generation seems to follow. Counterculture will always be counter, and railing against it is pointless and old-man-ish.
  • They are all Nazi's.. or Communists or is it Terrorists now......(Punk.... Goth.... Emo.....hipster?)......
  • It's sort of the opposite direction of, say, shonen fighting or cheesy metal. You like a shonen fighting show or Amon Amarth despite the fact that they're both stupid; you still actually like them, and you're honest about it. A hipster only likes things - or pretends to like things - that they think are stupid. The former is more honest and makes for better social interaction.
    This was one of my favorite points you made at the metal panel at ConnectiCon.
  • edited August 2010
    The funny side effect of the hipster movement is most of my interests became "in" because people think I like them in an ironic sense... When in reality I've always liked them in the real scary sense :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • So that makes you a hipster squared?
  • I'm counter counter culture yo. I'm in the forces, I'm white, straight, I hate bad music and like German beer and violence. Can't be more conformist than me. I follow the rules of nature, where if you're the wrong color we throw you out of the hive at best, murder and eat you at worst.
  • In a culture where everyone struggles to differentiate themselves, acknowledging that you're a conformist is nonconformist.
  • Tonight I saw such a stereotypical hipster I almost took a photo.
  • Tonight I saw such a stereotypical hipster I almost took a photo.
    You should have seen the two guys I passed on the way home today. They were walking their track bikes up the bridge.

Here's a notice for everybody. I don't care what culture or subculture you are from. Track bikes are for bike tracks, and not for anywhere else. If you are biking in public, you need some fucking brakes other than rubbing your shoe on your rear tire. Technically this is illegal in NYC, but none of the laws against cyclists are ever enforced.