This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hipsters

Comments

• Here they ride track bikes with no brakes. I don't care what style of bike people ride, but I can't tolerate not having brakes.
    Must be a regional thing. Here it's what I describe along with those Honda Cubs, AMF Mopeds and Bicycles with very small gas engines bolted to the frame linked to the rear wheel.
  • I'm trying to integrate hipster into the language as the white equivalent to "Nigga."
    "Hipsta' please, look'a' dat hipsta w'his Starbucks and Mac -"
    "Dumb-ass broke Hipsta can't afford ticket to the Gogola Bordello concert, had to settle fo' Ben Folds."

Given enough time, maybe they will learn. In the meantime, you can stave off this plague by bathing, shaving (or trimming professionally) and drinking real beer.
  • To me a hipster would be riding an old schwinn or late 70s/early 80s style road bike.
    Here they ride track bikes with no brakes. I don't care what style of bike people ride, but I can't tolerate not having brakes.
    Wait, doesn't NYC have a metric shit tonne of cars?
  • Wait, doesn't NYC have a metric shit tonne of cars?
    Yes, but also bikes.
  • But thankfully not bikes without breaks.
  • edited August 2010
    But thankfully not bikes without breaks.
    There are some bikes with and without brakes and/or breaks.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • There are some bikes with and without brakes and/or breaks.
    One would hope the vast majority of them come without the latter.
  • One would hope the vast majority of them come without the latter.
    Sadly...
  • But thankfully not bikes cars without breaks.
  • A little know fact is Jesus was a Black Hipster. But back then you did not need the black adjective. Everyone was black. And he did not change water into wine. It was water into PBR.
  • Hipster image.
    I'm moving to a loft space in Bushwick with artists, but only for a month.
  • Hipster image.
    Fucking hipsters....
  • I'm moving to a loft space in Bushwick with artists, but only for a month.
    You will single-handedly start the ironic juggling trend.
  • edited September 2010
    You will single-handedly start the ironic juggling trend.
    FUCK. Just as I start seriously getting interested in juggling (like whoa!), hipsters are poised to ruin this shit. Just like they ruined liking Camus.

Whatevs. I'll juggle anyway. Lord knows I've been called a hipster too many times to care anymore.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Whatevs. I'll juggle anyway. Lord knows I've been called a hipster too many times to care anymore.
    You gonna juggle? You fucking hipster.
  • I only appreciate, like, the early vaudeville jugglers, y'know?
  • Wow, Bushwick really is hipster central. Everything in this thread is true to a scary extent.
  • edited September 2010
    Wow, Bushwick really is hipster central. Everything in this thread is true to a scary extent.
    Bushwick and Williamsburg are, from what I've gathered, New York's version of Chicago's Wicker Park and Logan Square, and vice versa. Let's all just consider ourselves lucky that hipsters cloister themselves in gentrified neighborhoods that are still grungy instead of just spreading out and corrupting everything.

Also, today a friend called me a hipster for running Linux on a Dell laptop. lol wut
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Also, today a friend called me a hipster for running Linux on a Dell laptop. lol wut
    You were clearly being ~*ironic*~
  • Also, today a friend called me a hipster for running Linux on a Dell laptop. lol wut
    You were clearly being ~*ironic*~
    My Corona t-shirt gave me away. Guess I better invest in some PBR and Lucky Strikes and some pink flamingos for my living room.
  • My girlfriend is a hipster. A couple weeks ago she bought me a powder-blue shirt with a rainbow across it, and a bear shirt. When I say "bear shirt," think "wolf shirt" but with a fuckin' bear and "Bear Country, USA" on the arm. And the moon, of course.

Yeah. She's trying to turn me.

Otherwise she's awesome. Science girl, Starcraft 2 killer, good at many... things. But her aesthetic? And a certain amount of cynicism? Well... it is what it is. I'm glad she's not full hipster. A little is cute. Too much is deadly.
  • You never go full hipster.
  • full hipster.
  • edited September 2010
    There is no such thing as a full hipster, they kill themselves in *irony*.
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • I think I'm going to do a photo project while I'm in this apartment/loft. I'll take as many photos of the other residents as I can, and post them in this thread, and then we can rate them. At one end of the scale is "Gone Full Hipster" and at the other can be "Only happens to live in Bushwick."
    edited September 2010
    Sounds great. On the one (1) end will be the full hipsters, it will likely consist of one (1) person.
    Post edited by ... on
  • I think I'm going to do a photo project while I'm in this apartment/loft. I'll take as many photos of the other residents as I can, and post them in this thread, and then we can rate them. At one end of the scale is "Gone Full Hipster" and at the other can be "Only happens to live in Bushwick."
    I think I should do this when I hang in Adams Morgan or U st. again.
  • in a goddamnmoped gang
    Dude, I want to be in a motorcycle gang! Or at least build a cafe racer and be a bikerat and ride around the city busking.
    I think I should do this when I hang in Adams Morgan or U st. again.
    I could do this at U of I.
  • This pretty much sums them up for me.