This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game Offers

Comments

• Sleeping Dogs is $10 on Steam.
  • Xbox live Gold cards are currently $35 on Amazon.com. They are region free, although you have to have an American address to ship too. I'm sure you could work something out with some forumites, should it be needed.
    I almost bought one, but then decided to just let Xboz Live Gold expire.

• For some reason my Xboz Gold auto-renewed when I didn't expect it :(
    There's no way to cancel it other then letting your credit card expire, or calling Microsoft on the phone.
    There's no way to cancel it other then letting your credit card expire, or calling Microsoft on the phone.
    You can turn off auto-renew on the Xbox live website.
  • edited January 2013
    For some reason my Xboz Gold auto-renewed when I didn't expect it :(
    You can turn off auto-renew on the Xbox live website.
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • Xbox live Gold cards are currently $35 on Amazon.com. They are region free, although you have to have an American address to ship too. I'm sure you could work something out with some forumites, should it be needed.
    I almost bought one, but then decided to just let Xboz Live Gold expire.
    Don't miss Xbox Gold Live one bit.

• I'd buy it, but I simply never use Xbox live gold. Christ, I haven't even hooked my xbox up to the internet since well before the kinect existed.
  • If I can netflix without it I'll probably just cancel it.
  • Yeah, requiring a gold account to use things like Netflix has always bugged me.
  • Netflix and Steam on an HTPC means no reason in the world to pay for XBLAGOLD.
  • Netflix and Steam on an HTPC means no reason in the world to pay for XBLAGOLD.
    True story. I only wish you can change the interface from Netflix.com to be the same. I probably can do that if I install XBMC onto my HTPC and use the Netflix plugin. However, I'm lazy.
  • I can't get any of that there, I'm pretty sure we only get the usual benefits of gold (online multiplayer, some extra demos/free games), but we don't get netflix or any of that - which really makes it even less worth the money.
  • One day I'll build an HTPC but until then I'll just pay the cheaper 60
  • You save oceans of money with an HTPC instead of an Xbox 360 once you factor in the fact that you probably already have a Steam library of great games and you can emulate most of the last 30 years of gaming history. Also, get a private tracker invite and use the HTPC as a seedbox; enjoy all the free media.
  • edited January 2013
    I let my Xbox Live gold expire ages ago because I had a 3-month card from somewhere. Just told myself I'd use the 3-month code if I ever had the need to use Gold, even for a day. Still haven't scratched the card. Might sell it.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Having a TV with Internet apps built in is the best ever.
  • Having a TV with Internet apps built in is the best ever.
    Until the Internet apps update their APIs and the TV never ever updates its software and you have to get an HTPC again.
  • Any opinions on Apple TV?
    Tiny, cheap, does a lot, but it's still has some huge limitations that will leave you wanting a real HTPC.
  • Samsung has been pretty good about updating their apps.
    Apple TV and Roku 2 are both a fantastic value for $99. They both have glaring faults, but I think the Roku 2 is a better device hands down. Only thing Apple TV has over it is Youtube support and an optical audio out. Roku has much more content (if you are OK without Youtube).

That being said, neither of these were suitable replacements for a cable subscription in my home. It was HTPC all the way, but I can understand why someone would drop $99 on one of these. They suit a lot of people's needs, just not mine.

• I would think that most of us on the forum, our needs are best with a HTPC. For everyone else, Apple TV, Roku, or Smart TV is a good bet.

I should have gotten my HTPC ages ago.
  • edited January 2013
    Wow I'm a dummy why didn't I think of just using my wii lol ok no more gold. I also moved my ps3 into my living room to play some demons souls so I could use that too.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • edited January 2013
    Any opinions on Apple TV?
    Buy it only if you want to mirror an Apple computer. If not, there are better options. I usually recommend a Sony Blu Ray player to most of my customers(I work at Best Buy for those not in the know) and you can get the 390 which does all your streaming plus plays Blu Rays and upscales DVDs for $90.
    at Best Buy
    at Amazon through other sellers
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • I would never recommend a Blu-Ray player because physical media is dead, and spending money on useless plastic blu-rays is the dumb.
  • edited January 2013
    Eh, if you have a lot of physical media, it's so cheap these days to get a blu-ray player that if you lose a DVD player or need a new sound system get one with blu-ray. Then pay the 1 dollar more for blu-ray disk netflix and get all the stuff they never get on streaming.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • RymRym
    edited January 2013
    Why would you buy a new DVD player if you already have an HTPC with a $9 DVD-ROM?

Just about anything not streaming that's actually available is on Pirate Bay anyway.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • If you must, you can add a blu-ray drive to your HTPC for $25.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106325
  • edited January 2013
    yeah if I was a movie pirate arrrrr.

or you can get one with your sound system for no extra cost if you are a awesome price shopper like me...Since I bought the last year model it was the same cost as the same speakers without the player.
    Post edited by Cremlian on