This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game Offers

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Why would you buy a new DVD player if you already have an HTPC with a $9 DVD-ROM?

Just about anything not streaming that's actually available is on Pirate Bay anyway.
    I wouldn't buy a new DVD player, but I sure as heck would buy a Blu Ray player because Blu Rays really do look better than DVDs and at the moment I don't have fast enough internet to download everything I want quickly. Also, I want to support the people who make the content I enjoy so that they can continue to do so, even though I know this isn't a charity.
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • Well, the real trick is that I wait for basically everything to come to streaming or I don't watch it. ;^)
  • edited January 2013
    Well, the real trick is that I wait for basically everything to come to streaming or I don't watch it. ;^)
    1. See if something is streaming on Netflix or Youtube (since some good TV shows upload their full episodes). If it isn't streaming, then...
    2. Decide if it's worth the 10 minute wait to torrent it. If so, Pirate Bay.
    3. If it's not worth the wait, don't watch it.

No Hulu or Ads, only Man.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Well, the real trick is that I wait for basically everything to come to streaming or I don't watch it. ;^)
    1. See if something is streaming on Netflix or Youtube (since some good TV shows upload their full episodes). If it isn't streaming, then...

Not all of us have super speed internet, unfortunately. I can understand the perspective, but it doesn't work for me. Either way, that Sony player is a really good streaming box and it's not that much bigger than just a dedicated streaming device.
  • No Hulu or Ads, only Man.
    Even during the 2-year stretch where I had no cable service, we cancelled Hulu Plus and completely stopped using it b/c they still showed ads to paying customers.

Not all of us have super speed internet, unfortunately. I can understand the perspective, but it doesn't work for me. Either way, that Sony player is a really good streaming box and it's not that much bigger than just a dedicated streaming device.
    You need to rethink your life. Move to New York, get FiOS, fold paper pizza plates and put them in the trash like a worthwhile human being.

• edited January 2013
    I'm a little confused by the Hate for Hulu Plus and Ads, now I understand this is the internet and everyone hates ads, but Hulu Plus is no different from paying for cable, but significantly cheaper. I don't see why paying 7 dollars for something like 300+ anime and 1,000's of other stuff (some content available a day after it airs) is worse then someone paying 60 bucks a month for a bunch of channels most of them covered in ads that break in underneath and all sorts of other crap. I don't know, I enjoy Hulu Plus, I like Netflix more but Hulu Plus plus Netflix runs me like 14 bucks a month...
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Hulu Plus is definitely not worse than cable, but both are in the category of "not worth paying for" to me. Netflix is worth paying for, though I really wish they had more content. A high speed internet connection is definitely worth paying for, if it's available.
  • When cable TV first came into existence the promise was that since you are paying for the TV there are no ads. Then eventually cable filled with ads. So you pay twice. That's bullshit, and we can see that bullshit. If I give you money, there should be no ads. If you are making money from ads, what do you need my money for?
  • Hulu claims that the ads help keep the price of Hulu Plus low, but I don't see why they couldn't have a higher tier ("Hulu Ultimate") that doesn't have ads.
  • When cable TV first came into existence the promise was that since you are paying for the TV there are no ads. Then eventually cable filled with ads. So you pay twice. That's bullshit, and we can see that bullshit. If I give you money, there should be no ads. If you are making money from ads, what do you need my money for?
    We both know the actual answer to that question, Scott.
    Nope.

Only actual "pay TV" (HBO, Cinemax, etc) are commercial free. Other channels have always had commercials or were a commercial.

• RymRym
    edited January 2013
    When cable TV first came into existence the promise was that since you are paying for the TV there are no ads. Then eventually cable filled with ads. So you pay twice. That's bullshit, and we can see that bullshit. If I give you money, there should be no ads. If you are making money from ads, what do you need my money for?
    Nope.

Only actual "pay TV" (HBO, Cinemax, etc) are commercial free. Other channels have always had commercials or were a commercial.

Nope.

When I was a kid, we got one of the early rollouts of cable tv in Detroit. MANY channels had no ads at all. They trickled in later.

It might have been a highly regional thing.

Post edited by Rym on
    Nope.

Nope.

When I was a kid, we got one of the early rollouts of cable tv in Detroit. MANY channels had no ads at all. They trickled in later.
    Eeeeyup.
  • Cable TV has always had ads in the north east.

You need to rethink your life. Move to New York, get FiOS, fold paper pizza plates and put them in the trash like a worthwhile human being.

Guarantee me a full time job and I'm there ;)
  • If anyone here doesn't have Super Meat Boy at this point, now is a good time to grab it; it's $3.75 on Steam.
  • CS:GO is on sale for like, $7.
  • If people do not have it they need to get it!
  • Trine 2 is on super sale on Steam for $3.74. Never beat Trine 1, but the price is so low...
  • I kinda thought that game was boring. Maybe if you play coop it would be funner.
  • I'd buy it but looking at how many steam games I still haven't even tried, I think I'll wait and just hope it's in a humble bundle.
  • edited February 2013
    It is time

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/system_shock_2

and in order to maintain balance in the world

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/daikatana
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • We already played SS2
  • We already played SS2
    It is time again!
  • I will wait until it hits Steam, I have plenty of other unplayed games to hold me over until then.
  • AmpAmp
    edited February 2013
    Killing floor is on offer at the moment along with some other games. Was thinking if the Counter strike server is still down we could have some rounds of that instead.
    Post edited by Amp on
  • Awesome deal on Sticker Star. I'm considering Layton, but I haven't even beat the other games. I was never really that interested in Kid Icarus,

http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/18knm0/paper_mario_sticker_star_1999_professor_layton/
  • Also goddamn it Nintendo why you give out great deals after.
    http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/14/3988306/3DS-xl-free-game-promotion
  • Awesome deal on Sticker Star. I'm considering Layton, but I haven't even beat the other games. I was never really that interested in Kid Icarus,

http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/18knm0/paper_mario_sticker_star_1999_professor_layton/
    Amazon is supposedly pricematching some of those too.