This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game Offers

Comments

• I play with an Xbox controller and do well enough, at least with some driving aids
  • Don't play with driving aids, it only numbs your understanding and holds you back.
  • So I picked up my copy of Halo. Well for preordering I go a few DLC items. It game me codes to download Avtar Armor of the Chief (M and F versions). No where on the insert I saw said you needed to pick and download only one. Soooo I am offering my female Master Chief avatar armor to first person who wants it. And please dont be a tool and sell it. Use it and prove you used it by being my friend on 360 and lets play some campaign or a few rounds of match making.
  • I am thinking about going to the Nintendo store in NYC this weekend for the Zelda release. Anyone else?
  • Tim - I can't use the female code, but I'll take you up on the offer of matchmaking if you want. Always looking for a few more people to play with.
  • I am thinking about going to the Nintendo store in NYC this weekend for the Zelda release. Anyone else?
    Doesn't seem like anything crazy enough to warrant the trip in for me. They're unveiling a Master Sword statue. Anything else going on that I may have missed?

Had all these plans to go to the big Mario setup they did in Times Square this past Sat, bring the kid and take some pics of her with Mario characters and such. Didn't transpire since I got really sick, and this launch looks less appealing.

• I was also thinking about getting multiple people into my 3DS Mii games. Just need a few more puzzle pieces.
  • http://store.steampowered.com/app/22330/
    Oblivion is 75% off
    The deluxe edition was six bucks and change. I couldn't resist.

• Don't play with driving aids, it only numbs your understanding and holds you back.
    Honestly, no. I tried going without driving aids and all I did was slide around on the road. Maybe that means I suck, and maybe with time I will get better, but for now, I'd rather play with the ability to at least maybe keep the car on the road if I'm careful.
  • Super Meat Boy anniversary bundle - 25 bucks for a bunch of games every sane person should own.
  • Super Meat Boy anniversary bundle - 25 bucks for a bunch of games every sane person should own.
    Wow, I own every single one of those games expcet for one 0.o

On a related note, is Bit.Trip.Runner worth money?
  • I've got all of them except for VVVVV. I would not pay for either of the Bit.Trip games again. Stylistically pleasing as interactive art, but weak games.
    Wow, I own every single one of those games expcet for one 0.o

On a related note, is Bit.Trip.Runner worth money?
    I got it for about $1, that's about all I'd be willing to put into it. Awesome atmosphere and music, unreasonably difficult/punishing gameplay.

• edited November 2011
    I've got all of them except for VVVVV. I would not pay for either of the Bit.Trip games again. Stylistically pleasing as interactive art, but weak games.
    VVVVVV is the second best out of the bunch, next to Super Meat Boy (coming from someone who still hasn't played HL2 in its entirety.) DEFINITELY worth the $2.50 you can get it for right now.

Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • On a related note, is Bit.Trip.Runner worth money?
    I tried it and wasn't really a big fan. It's pretty meh. If you're gonna buy that game alone, it'll probably end up even cheaper sometime next week for the Thanksgiving/Black Friday sale.
  • I've got all of them except for VVVVV. I would not pay for either of the Bit.Trip games again. Stylistically pleasing as interactive art, but weak games.
    VVVVVV is the second best out of the bunch, next to Super Meat Boy (coming from someone who still hasn't played HL2 in its entirety.) DEFINITELY worth the $2.50 you can get it for right now.

Steam blocked at the Uni. Can't download shit, captain.

• edited November 2011
    I've got all of them except for VVVVV. I would not pay for either of the Bit.Trip games again. Stylistically pleasing as interactive art, but weak games.

Where there's a VPN, there's a way.
    Post edited by Pegu on
    You know, the Humble Bundle version of VVVVV is DRM free, and wouldn't require Steam...

• edited November 2011

Highly fucking illogical, Captain.
    You know, the Humble Bundle version of VVVVV is DRM free, and wouldn't require Steam...

If someone has a link, I would gladly accept it.

Where there's a VPN, there's a way.
    Except I'm dialed into the uni network via a VPN, and Steam is blocked based on ports. I'm not sure I can get in.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I'm not really too knowledgeable here but can't you tunnel all your traffic through a connection to an outside computer or something?
    Honestly, no. I tried going without driving aids and all I did was slide around on the road. Maybe that means I suck, and maybe with time I will get better, but for now, I'd rather play with the ability to at least maybe keep the car on the road if I'm careful.
    How can a man ever learn to truly walk if he refuses to cast away his crutches?
    How can a man ever learn to truly walk if he refuses to cast away his crutches?
    I know it's not the same thing, but when I turn the wheel of a car when I drive, I don't spin out every single time. In F1 2011, I tried turning off the assists and then I put the car on a max downforce setting during a practice session so I could give it a try. Without fail, on almost every single turn I spun. I tried several tracks, I tried various amounts of brake and throttle(and just plain coasting). If there is something completely obvious that I am missing, or if there is a video that will explain to me how to drive the car correctly, please let me know. I'm all for a "more authentic" experience if I can have some small degree of fun with it. When I watch the real drivers, even rookies like Ricciardo in the HRT, they don't spin on every single turn, so something is clearly off here.
  • I agree with Hitman. I like racing games, but I'm more a fan of the arcade style. My favorites are those such as Initial D or Virtua Racing.

When it comes to the Gran Turismos and Forzas of the world, it's just not fun. Sure it may be realistic, but if realism means that you can't make it around any curve faster than gradma without crashing, then why play?

If I'm driving a real car, I can at least feel the g-forces and go around the turn at a speed that won't involve crashing. In GT or Forza I crash almost no matter what. Even when I put on the colored hint line that tells you when to brake and when to accelerate, it's not accurate! I hit the brake button exactly when it tells me to and the car is still going around the corner too fast. The only thing worse than no tutorial is a tutorial that lies to you. I've tried every combination of slamming the brakes, coasting, no gas, some gas, pumping the brakes, everything. The only thing that doesn't result in going off course is going crazy slow. Going crazy slow, of course, means that all the CPU cars pass you like lightning and you're done.

I have the same problem with all realistic games. They favor simulation to the point of eliminating fun. It's possible to have lots of fun and a very difficult test of skill without realism or simulation. See Counter-Strike.
  • I would enjoy the realistic simulations if I had a sweet rig with which to play them. Force feedback (seat and wheel), full-size steering wheel, full pedals.

As such, I enjoy the Initial D arcade machine above the rest. It's a shame arcades are dead.
  • See, in F1, unless you are going fast enough, you will spin out. If you wanna stop yourself from spinning out, you'll probably have to go faster through those corners.
  • It's a shame arcades In the US are dead.
    We've covered this already.
  • See, in F1, unless you are going fast enough, you will spin out. If you wanna stop yourself from spinning out, you'll probably have to go faster through those corners.
    That's ridiculous. Even if they are going for realism, they fucked up. F1 cars can drive very slowly. Also, the brakes are so powerful that if you even began to spin out at going at such a slow speed, you could stop instantly.

The only thing is that you do need to warm up the tires and brakes during the pace lap or they won't be as effective. I don't know if the game takes that into account.
  • It's a shame arcades In the US are dead.
    We've covered this already.
    They'll die everywhere else in time. We're just ahead of the curve. ;^)