This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game Offers

Comments

• I'm definitely counting on there being another sale after Christmas, maybe new years. This one was really lacking the heavy hitters.
  • Hopefully cyber (or digital, whatever) monday will have the best deals.
  • edited November 2010
    Re: TF2: The install size went from 15 to 23GB over it's life, so I'm probably not reinstalling any time soon.

Alright, the haul so far:
    BTBeat
    Audiosurf
    Lara Croft & The Gaurdian of Light
    The Polynomial
    Rhythm Zone
    World of Goo
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I usually like the indie games and if I get two hours of entertainment out of it (here in CR the average movie ticket is 2000 colones, about $4) I'd say is a good buy.
  • Here's my haul from the sale:
    And Yet It Moves
    Audio Surf
    Beat Hazard
    Bit.Trip Beat
    Gish
    Grand Theft Auto IV: Episodes from Liberty City
    Jolly Rover
    Machinarium (A gift from a friend)
    Puzzle Agent
    Recettear
    Rhythm Zone
  • edited November 2010
    Jesus everyday there is at least one game I wanna get. Just got "The Ball" today. I read some reviews, it's an fps of which you only have one weapon, sort of like the gravity gun on HL2, and a ball. Doesn't sound amusing for a long time, but I read the graphics are amazing and the puzzles are intriguing.
    Post edited by sucrilhos on
  • edited November 2010
    I have about 25 of the Cogs puzzles on my iPhone. It's really fun. I've heard good things about Tidalis and Puzzle Dimension, too, but the game is worth it for Cogs, in my opinion. Try the demo; it's like a mix of steampunk mechanics puzzles, Rubik's cubes, and Fantastic Contraption.
    Hmm, I'll have to look into these then.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I got the Indie Story Pack and the Indie Clever Pack. I think I'm set game-wise for a good while. Loving Recettear, VVVVVV and World of Goo.
  • Wait. You need to buy DLC keys to break that shit open?

Man,fuckTF2.
    We told you guys. The very day they added achievement-based game-affecting content, we told you. All that we have predicted has come to pass, and scarily, the game has even in some regards become worse than we expected.

Man,fuckTF2.
    We told you guys. The very day they added achievement-based game-affecting content, we told you. All that we have predicted has come to pass, and scarily, the game has even in some regards becomeworsethan we expected.
    Damn, and it looks like fun, too.
  • Eh, the game is still fun if you don't care about being competitive. You just can't really take it as a serious competitive FPS anymore.
  • Damn, and it looks like fun, too.
    It was when it first came out. It had a low individual skill ceiling and played out like a hybrid of a "three legged race" and "paper rock scissors," but for what it was, it was a good game. Had it included a "pro mode" where the maps were twice as big, the players twice as fast, and the accuracy of the weapons ten times tighter, I would likely have kept playing even today.

Well, until they shat all over the game with stateful leveling, game-affecting microtransactions, and game-affecting drops, making it little better than DDO or Gunbound. Few business models are more keen to destroy any vestige of what makes a game worth playing than the "free to play, microtransactions and statefulness to actually be competitive" one that's gaining so much traction these days.
  • Eh, the game is still fun if you don't care about being competitive. You just can't really take it as a serious competitive FPS anymore.
    If I want to play a non-competitive game, just for the lols, there are many better choices than TF2. For example, the recently released Poker Night is quite good.
  • Oh god, Rym's ego has reached critical mass, it's begun expanding by itself!
  • Oh god, Rym's ego has reached critical mass, it's begun expanding by itself!
    What's that got to do with this discussion?
    The fact of the matter is, he's right about TF2.
  • edited November 2010
    I was refering to him saying he predicted this when it first came out.
    Going to give the TF2 episode a listen, see what they actually said.
  • edited November 2010
    The day they added unlockable weapons, you mean.
    Definitely go and listen to the episode, though; there might be exaggeration that stands to be caught.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Gotta say good work to them for the episode descriptions.

I don't get why Rym's complaining that that they didn't make a radically different game though.
  • Is bit.trip beat worth five bucks?
  • don't get why Rym's complaining that that they didn't make a radically different game though.
    TF2 was a radical departure from TF1. I expected a direct sequel, and what I got was a very different game. A fine game, I might add, just not to my taste by any stretch.

Then, as I said, they shat all over it. ;^)
  • edited November 2010
    Alright, "Team Fortress" on the search yields six results, I'm going to start at the top. If someone wants to help, start at the bottom.
    We are looking for:
    Specific predictions (Look for these most.): Opening and/or empahissed predictions with specific outcomes. May or may not be conditional.
    Speculations: The "Could happen" kind of things often lead into after the specifics.
    Vauge/shotgun predictions: Things stuck in lists or mentioned off-handedly.

@Rym: They're probably raking in the cash though. As is WoW.

Man,fuckTF2.
    We told you guys. The very day they added achievement-based game-affecting content, we told you. All that we have predicted has come to pass, and scarily, the game has even in some regards becomeworsethan we expected.
    I have never played TF2 for any significant period of time, so it really doesn't affect me. I'm just surprised that Valve would fuck shit up that badly.
  • edited November 2010
    Oh, I forgot, very importantly, get the time code of when they first mention TF2.
    060718 - 21:30
  • Okay, okay, PAUSE on the TF2 conversation.

I'm hoping the biggest sales will come on the last day. With these sales, my laptop doesn't have the strength to run many of these games smoothly, so I'm more or less building up a game bank for when I get a better computer. It's nice, but I'll wait. I'm kicking myself for not getting Recettar, from how you guys are responding.

But still, yay for sales.
  • I saw my friend playing TF2 once, it felt like that card game, Wink Murder. It looked like it was a game intended for kids.
  • edited November 2010
    But still, yay for sales.
    Indeed. I'm looking forward to tomorrow as well. (Cmon racing games cmon racing games...)
    For example, the recently released Poker Night is quite good.
    I've been eyeing that game.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I've been eyeing that game.
    RPS hates it.
    "Ultimately, as intriguing as it certainly is to have such iconic gaming characters all around one baize cloth, this is a poker game. When you’ve heard Max screech about chequer boards made of human bones for the fifth time, and listened to the Heavy and Strong Bad discuss boxing yet again, what you’re left with is the card game. And it’s beyond dreadful."
  • edited November 2010
    RPS hates it.
    "Ultimately, as intriguing as it certainly is to have such iconic gaming characters all around one baize cloth, this is a poker game. When you’ve heard Max screech about chequer boards made of human bones for the fifth time, and listened to the Heavy and Strong Bad discuss boxing yet again, what you’re left with is the card game. And it’s beyond dreadful."
    Let me clarify, it's funny but short. Once you hear all the jokes, game over. It's not actually a good game. You're just playing poker against an AI. However, it is funny for a few hours, and really inexpensive.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited November 2010
    RPS hates it.
    Let me clarify, it's good but short. Once you hear all the jokes, game over.
    I could also stream a comedy on Netflix and save a few bucks.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • I've been eyeing that game.
    RPS hates it.
    Let me clarify, it's good but short. Once you hear all the jokes, game over.
    I could also stream a comedy on Netflix and save a few bucks.
    Or just watch the game on youtube.