This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Video Game Offers

Comments

• It seems Steam's having some sort of treasure hunt wherein people earn 'achievements' for chances to win games on their wishlists. An interesting concept to be sure, but it seems like a lot of work.

As an aside, Chime: worth 1.25? I'm leaning toward yes, but I don't know what the fuck it actually is.
  • As an aside, Chime: worth 1.25? I'm leaning toward yes, but I don't know what the fuck it actually is.
    Hell yes.
  • As an aside, Chime: worth 1.25? I'm leaning toward yes, but I don't know what the fuck it actually is.
    Hell yes.
    Very much so.
  • Oddly, if I go via the deal to the Chime page, it says chime is reduced but it isn't showing up in the "Specials" tab, is this happening for anyone else?
  • Wow, this sale is a brilliant marketing strategy/use of achievements to encourage sales...
  • See, now I have a reason to earn achievements. There is a tangible benefit for them instead of TF2 wankery/WoW Dragons.

Thank you, Valve, for sucking my youth away in order to sell your delicious downloadable games at low, low prices.
  • It looks pretty bad. You have to buy games and then complete things in them and that only gets you the chance to win. Seriously?
  • Oh, it's not a direct benefit? Like a gamerscore-to-coupons type of thing?

Fuck you Valve.
  • Even if you are guaranteed to win the prize, it's still a bad idea for you, and a genius idea for Valve. Let's say it takes you an hour to get an achievment on a game you already own. In one hour, you could have earned minimum wage, which is enough to buy a game. The time it takes isn't worth it. It's only worth it if you are poor or a kid who can't get a job.
  • Actually Scott. If you read the rules right you earn a chance every time you complete one of the daily achievements.. so it took me one minute to make an avatar. So hopefully they keep adding a "achievement" that is to work on your profile in a particular way, combined with games you already have and may have already achieved, then you'll get your chances without any trouble.
  • Even if you are guaranteed to win the prize, it's still a bad idea for you, and a genius idea for Valve. Let's say it takes you an hour to get an achievment on a game you already own. In one hour, you could have earned minimum wage, which is enough to buy a game. The time it takes isn't worth it. It's only worth it if you are poor or a kid who can't get a job.
    Except that spending an hour playing a game to get an achievement is a lot more enjoyable than spending an hour doing some bullshit minimum wage food service.
  • Except that spending an hour playing a game to get an achievement is a lot more enjoyable than spending an hour doing some bullshit minimum wage food service.
    Yes. However, many games have the same grind mechanic that most minimum wage jobs do.
  • Fuck achievements. Also, fuck hats.
  • Except that spending an hour playing a game to get an achievement is a lot more enjoyable than spending an hour doing some bullshit minimum wage food service.
    Yes. However, many games have the same grind mechanic that most minimum wage jobs do.
    You need to do 10 of the objectives for a chance to get 100 games. There are a total of 28 objectives that you can do. I don't think you're going to have too much grinding here.
  • Aren't there laws in some states where you have to be able to enter the contest with no purchase necessary? When I get some time I'll read the fine print and see if we can mail a postcard to get entered without getting any achievments.
  • I have an idea what is going on here: instead of having a "sale" of a gave they are going to hold a contest that requires you to play a game to achieve a meaningless achievement. As you can imagine if you have bought the game already shouldn't be a problem, but for those who want to get them all people will pony up the cash to get the game in the contest. I am going to use the reasoning if I have the game maybe give it a try, but not purchasing a new game just for a chance to win a contest or get a silly hat.
  • Yeah, I don't think I'll bother at all with this. I haven't even bothered to set up a wishlist.

I did buy Chime just now, though.
  • Aren't there laws in some states where you have to be able to enter the contest with no purchase necessary? When I get some time I'll read the fine print and see if we can mail a postcard to get entered without getting any achievments.
    Notice the first "achievement" for the first day wasn't something you had to buy a game for.
  • This isn't Uplink.
  • If you're a fan of horror games, Amensia: The Dark Descent is well worth $10.
  • If you're a fan of horror games,Amensia: The Dark Descentis well worth $10.
    I've been eyeing that one.
  • Has anybody played "Greed Corp?" It looks pretty good.
  • Has anyone played Greed Corp.? What's the verdict?
  • Shatter (Still on sale for $2.50) is surprisingly good. It's a really well done Breakout-like.
  • Monday Night Combat is coming to Steam. Anyone play it for console?
  • Not on the west coast it ain't. But I look forward to it when it gets here.