This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Minecraft - First Person Dwarf Fortress.... Kinda

Comments

• Heh. I fill in creeper holes around my house with floating blocks.
  • Here's my Fallingwater inspired house.

The structure atop the upper balcony was meant to feel very open from the inside without looking flimsy from the outside.

I made the end of the two balconies "curved" to pay tribute to the small cove that the house is built next to. It's shaped so that it mirrors the cove when you look up at it from the ground, as if the blue sky were water.

I plan to do some terraforming on the shore there, and create a stadium-shaped arrangement of houses. Sort of like an Italian coastal city.
  • Monaco + Minecraft = Mineaco or Monacraft?
  • Well I made a gallery, so I don't clog up this thread with large images.
    Screenshot the first: An overview of the train station.
    Screenshot the second: The press button for cart button.
    Screenshot the third: Select a station!
    Screenshot the forth: Get in the cart and get auto-boosted!
    Screenshot the fifth: My track switcher section, complete with semi exposed wires.
    Screenshot the sixth: Entrance to the dark underbelly of the whole operation.
  • edited November 2010
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Images
    ..so, how much is monthly rent?
  • edited November 2010
    @Jason: Could you zip and post the save folder? Also, what texture pack are you using?

Also, did you mine all that yourself or just spawn it?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • ..so, how much is monthly rent?
    Your mom.
    Could you zip and post the save folder?
    Knock and the door shall be opened to thee.
    Also, what texture pack are you using?
    Quandary.
    Also, did you mine all that yourself or just spawn it?
    Mined. You can explore the map and find the extensive cave systems all around that were just LOADED with goodies.
  • edited November 2010
    Right now I'm still at the most basic minecrafting levels. My mine is just that, stemming from an open cavity in the ground that has a ton of twisting stairways down into the bowels of the earth. The rooms are almost all natural and discovered by chance. For some reason, I can't seem to figure out what I want to build or how I want it to look. Architecture seems to be my weak area as an artist. My most interesting features so far are some really neat underground waterfalls and lavafalls, and some remarkably large caverns that I have mined into.
    Also, I am having an extraordinarily difficult time finding enough iron to make the mine carts, boosters, and tracks that some of you guys have made. Hell, just finding enough of anything but cobblestone, wood, and coal is a major effort. As a result, my mine is very utilitarian. I also haven't used any cheats or hacks to get any of the materials I have currently.
    I also have no clue how to "wire" doors and things to open. I know it involves redstone torches somehow, but the rest is beyond me.
    Also, I have buckets of lava...what can I use them for besides making awesome lava-flow decorations?
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Also, I have buckets of lava...what can I use them for besides making awesome lava-flow decorations?
    You can power your forge with a bucket of lava.
  • Also, I am having an extraordinarily difficult time finding enough iron to make the mine carts, boosters, and tracks that some of you guys have made. Hell, just finding enough of anything but cobblestone, wood, and coal is a major effort.
    Go spelunking.
    I also have no clue how to "wire" doors and things to open.
    Put a pressure plate right in front of the door. No need for redstone. Or, if you really want to use it, make a redstone path from the door to a lever. Use the Minepedia recipes!
    It's very inefficient. Coal is good, wood burns quickly, but is more efficient in the long run.
  • Also, I have buckets of lava...what can I use them for besides making awesome lava-flow decorations?
    Don't waste them powering the forge. You'll be out both the lava and the bucket it's in. Suggestions:
    Make a giant glass cube at the top of a tower and turn it into a lighthouse.
    Put two of them in a 2x1x1 trench and use it as a garbage disposal for all that gravel.
    Use a lava block, a water block, a pooling area, and a series of steel doors & switches to generate an infinite cobblestone source.
    Dump water on them after you place them to generate obsidian blocks.
    Use them to burn out infested caverns.
  • edited November 2010
    A cleverly designed lava lamp is a great way to mark the entrances of hidden caves. Build a glass tower around the lava flow where it can be used as a navigation beacon back to the cave!

A lava "trash can" in your base is also a good way to get rid of shit blocks you don't need, like when you have an inventory full of cobblestone.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • See, this is why I want a FRC server. I'm good at exploring and building easy-to-maneuver-in areas underground, and building safe zones that you can easily duck into in order to escape monsters. Once I see an idea, I can replicate it or assist in building. I'd love to combine it with what you guys already know how to do and get something really neat going.
  • See, this is why I want a FRC server. I'm good at exploring and building easy-to-maneuver-in areas underground, and building safe zones that you can easily duck into in order to escape monsters. Once I see an idea, I can replicate it or assist in building. I'd love to combine it with what you guys already know how to do and get something really neat going.
    For the love of Zardoz, dude, get teh serverz going. We'll Skype in and have a mining party.
  • For the love of Zardoz, dude, get teh serverz going. We'll Skype in and have a mining party.
    God damn it.

Tell you guyz what. Once ecommerce is up (expect it this weekend unless I fuck something up), and I finish one or two other things, I'll try to set up some servers on my FIOS.

The only caveat: some of you will have to volunteer to admin them. That is, if I make a CS server, you guys will have to be the anti-shitcock brigade.

I'll see what I can do. I have two servers lying around unused.
  • edited November 2010
    For the love of Zardoz, dude, get teh serverz going. We'll Skype in and have a mining party.
    God damn it.

Tell you guyz what. Once ecommerce is up (expect it this weekend unless I fuck something up), and I finish one or two other things, I'll try to set up some servers on my FIOS.

The only caveat: some of you will have to volunteer to admin them. That is, if I make a CS server, you guys will have to be the anti-shitcock brigade.

We're calling it Shitcocklesstan again right? Perhaps Shitcraftlesstan? Shitcocklesscraft?

Cockcraft?
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • For the love of Zardoz, dude, get teh serverz going. We'll Skype in and have a mining party.
    God damn it.

We're calling it Shitcocklesstan again right? Perhaps Shitcraftlesstan? Shitcocklesscraft?

Cockcraft?
    Mein Cock!
  • The residents of said server can be called Cockburgh-lers.
  • edited November 2010
    Chinnko wo Goutouni Haittemasu Tachi ni youkoso! [Lit: Welcome to the burglers of penises.]
    I hope you're pleased with yourselves.

Server Priority:
    Minecraft
    CS:S
    Tribes 2
    Edit: Moved Minecraft up as it's something everyone can enjoy.

Mention on the show we're setting them up and ask people to go to the forum to sign up to help test them (So they don't get flooded all at once.).
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited November 2010
    I feel your pain MacRoss. I look at all the beautiful things people make and look back to my world and feel kinda sad.
    Ha, while posting this I was reminded of the old spice guy and imagined Jason doing a "Look at your world, now back to mine."
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • I feel your pain MacRoss. I look at all the beautiful things people make and look back to my world and feel kinda sad.
    Ha, while posting this I was reminded of the old spice guy and imagined Jason doing a "Look at your world, now back to mine."
    Does your man look like me? No. But can he have a Minecraft map as good as mine? Yes.
  • I feel your pain MacRoss. I look at all the beautiful things people make and look back to my world and feel kinda sad.
    What's really sad is to play on server, where you know that you've had same time to do things as everyone else and still it seems that everyone else has managed to do awesome epic things while you made one little hole.
  • Yes, but with a server, you can be a slave labourer and be happy that you're contributing.
    What's really sad is to play on server, where you know that you've had same time to do things as everyone else and still it seems that everyone else has managed to do awesome epic things while you made one little hole.
    Just remind yourself, they have no lives. You were out doing things. They were sitting at home mining.

Also, follow someone around and build something with them.
  • What's really sad is to play on server, where you know that you've had same time to do things as everyone else and still it seems that everyone else has managed to do awesome epic things while you made one little hole.
    Just remind yourself, they have no lives. You were out doing things. They were sitting at home mining.Not really. The start of the server happened while I was visiting my parent's witch mean I had nothing better to do than sitting on a computer and play games. So I pretty much mostly played Minecraft that weekend and still got less done. So I just wasn't as productive as other people. But yea, not really bothered with that, at least I get something cool to look at.
  • I found a new texture pack called Tronic. There aren't any lightcycles, but the aesthetic is neat.

Here you can see the progress meter for breaking a block (coal):

Here's a forest fire I came upon, with no apparent source:

MechaSheep:

RoboCow:

TermiCreeper:

SkeleTron:
  • Skin a saddled pig as a lightcycle!
  • ^That's cool. Looks much better than the default one.