This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Minecraft - First Person Dwarf Fortress.... Kinda

Comments

• Really? On this forum, of all forums, someone's shying away from discussion?
  • edited November 2010
    Really? On this forum, of all forums, someone's shying away from discussion?
    They feel like it's needless discussion, because no matter what, this will end the same way. It's just creating drama otherwise. I have to somewhat agree, but I know where you're coming from.

Comments like this however don't help.
    Server over after two days due to drama. Just walk away, everyone.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • edited November 2010
    There is a problem here I seeking to resolve, which I honestly believe is worth the effort to resolve. From here, on I'll keep this between myself and Jason.

It's like how we don't just dismiss people talking religion, we take the time to try and show them where the problems are.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • The vault:
  • The vault:
    Don't fall.. wooaAAAoooOAAAHH!

Eighty percent complete: The Dark Tower Mission... fraught with exploration, danger, traps, and rewards!
  • To whoever put the TNT under the walls of my castle: go fuck yourself.
  • How much TNT is it? If it's at the bottom you could drop it down a shaft as it detinates.
  • To whoever put the TNT under the walls of my castle: go fuck yourself.
    Just cover it with water. If any water is touching it, the explosion won't do any collateral damage at all.
  • The damage is done. One block exploded and did a small amount of damage to the wall I was working on. At that point I realised that this kind of bullshit could undo hours of work, and that I shouldn't waste my time. No hard feelings if this was supposed to be a funny prank, but I've got other things I could be doing.
  • >playing minecraft
    >tower to the heavens is almost complete
    >try to craft some shovels to gather sand to make glass
    >click on the boundary of the crafting window
    >JRE has crashed!
    >restart minecraft, calmly reload save
    >tower gone
    >close minecraft
    >shutdown computer
    >take a shower

You know, that was ten hours of progress. I mined and placed thousands of blocks, and because of one bug it is now gone forever. I am disappointed.
  • At that point I realised that this kind of bullshit could undo hours of work, and that I shouldn't waste my time.
    The bad guys can do the same damage. Hence, why I turn them off.
    You know, that was ten hours of progress. I mined and placed thousands of blocks, and because of one bug it is now gone forever. I am disappointed.
    And here is the major flaw with many indy games. Multiwinia and NS2 both have major networking issues making them unplayable. I just discovered that major bug in Puzzle Agents. I got stuck in that Gish game. Minecraft has crashy. The list goe son.

Professionally produced games, no matter if they are good or not, are tested like crazy. Those poor poor game testers press every possible button on every possible spot to weed out as many bugs as possible. Sure, some still get through now and then, like the Bust a Move on the DS that was unbeatable. However, the percentage of professional games that are broken seems low, and most of them get patched up. Mostly it's the really big PC games that are buggy and then get a patch in a month that fixes it all. I really think that's just a matter of the publishers intentionally deciding to release a buggy game to get the sales, knowing they can patch it, rather than delaying release. It seems that many indy games have bugs that are just never fixed.

If you're just giving away a free download on your site of some game you made, then it's fine to have bugs all over. But as soon as you are charging people money, you gotta polish that shit. I basically refuse to play a game that is technologically broken. It's just not worth my time.
  • edited November 2010
    Something I'd like to see added short-term would be items that change how your avatar behaves:
    -Running boots.
    -Jumping shorts.
    -Iron boots that stop you being pushed around by currents.
    -Diamond lava waders.
    -Bubble helmet.
    But as soon as you are charging people upwards of the £20 range.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Something I'd like to see added short-term would be items that change how your avatar behaves:
    -Running boots.
    -Jumping shorts.
    -Iron boots that stop you being pushed around by currents.
    -Diamond lava waders.
    -Bubble helmet.
    - Flashlight
    - Elevator block
    - NPCs
    - Portals that go from one assigned spot to another assigned spot
  • - Flashlight
    Make the torch work in your hand!
    Those other ones are a bit more long term.
  • - Flashlight
    Make the torch work in your hand!
    Laterns were supposed to be implemented on Halloween, but he's delayed them. I'm hoping you can hold those.
  • It'll be hard, I think the lighting is all block based, so he'd need to add in an extra lighting system to deal with light coming from objects.
  • You kids and your drama.

Anyway, I'm not making a server. A full inventory of my available hardware leaves me with:

1. An old but functioning computer with 3x 80GB PATA drives which can't book from USB.
    2. A less old and surprisingly fast computer with 2x 320GB SATA drives, but with no video card.

I can't build the former, as I own no burnable media (who uses that stuff anymore?). I can't build the latter, as I have no way of hooking up a display to futz with the BIOS to let it boot headless.
  • Someone you know probably has a dead computer sitting around you could take the GPU out of. Save that, you should be able to get a blank CD from someone at work.
  • Someone you know probably has a dead computer sitting around you could take the GPU out of.
    We have no more GPUs. Most people who aren't gamers use integrated video cards, and other than ScoJo, no one keeps extra parts around anymore.
    Save that, you should be able to get a blank CD from someone at work.
    Not likely. I highly doubt anyone at work burns CDs for anything either. I once needed to burn a copy of our GUI for a customer who wouldn't accept a USB drive, and it turned out that no one had one. No one. Not even at home.

If I get one, I'll get one, but this is at the bottom of my interest queue now. I only went for it in the first place because I had two computers lying around and, had they worked, it would have been a quick project. I'm less interested now that there are any complications at all beyond boot and install.
  • Then put a call out on the podcast for people to send you blank CDs. It'd be funny to see if anyone does.

If you see any photography shops on the way home, just pick up a pack.
  • If you see any photography shops on the way home, just pick up a pack.
    Eh. It was a weekend project. I'll probably build it eventually, but I'm not doing it this weekend as I'd originally said.
  • Ah right, you didn't say it was a weekend project. No problem.
  • I have a hojillion blank optical discs I'm not using.
  • Shit talk, Shit talk. Shit talk, Shit talk. Shit talk, Shit talk.
  • I just blew a hole down to z-level -50 from the surface. I've been filling it with TNT. I'm still not done, and I've laid nearly ten thousand blocks.

This will be interesting.
  • I just blew a hole down to z-level -50 from the surface. I've been filling it with TNT. I'm still not done, and I've laid nearly ten thousand blocks.

Could we see video of this?

Do not be anywhere near it or looking in it's direction. That shit will freeze and crash like no tomorrow. I would run redstone to a switch about 20 tiles away or something. :P

Could we see video of this?
    If I can get it to run, yeah.

I just blew a hole down to z-level -50 from the surface. I've been filling it with TNT. I'm still not done, and I've laid nearly ten thousand blocks.

Do not be anywhere near it or looking in it's direction. That shit will freeze and crash like no tomorrow. I would run redstone to a switch about 20 tiles away or something. :P
    Hovering obsidian bunker. Dropping a primed TNT block to the surface to start the mess.
  • edited December 2010
    This will be glorious. I saw a video the other day of two guys filling a sizable cave with 30,000 of TNT and letting it fly. In the console, the server literally said "AHHHHH!" as the world locked up. The immense cavern formed from the aftermath was pretty cool.

EDIT: Wait a tic...are you doing this...on the FRC server?
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on