This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Minecraft - First Person Dwarf Fortress.... Kinda

Comments

• edited November 2010
    I think the hottub would looks better lava powered.

Also, with all this bacon, I think a beach barbeque is in order.

In future, I'm going to set up the orchard in a more grid like pattern and put it far away from other things, then we can harvest all the wood and set all the leaves on fire.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Investigating the interesting properties of bamboo. Mostly it's growing speed and the fact that you can walk through it like air, but it stops water like a normal block. May be useful in clearing areas of water and for building airlocks in the underwater tunnel.
  • Our server message/mission board, with Andrew's fortress in the background. Join today (service guarantees citizenship)!
  • Hey there I heard you have the server up and going, wanted to go and ask for permission before entering it my username is therealcoldguy
    Sorry, we were playing and didn't hear you. You should have just joined the server! I've given you permissions to build now.
  • Server down?
  • Server down?
    Nope, I've been on it for a while.
  • edited November 2010
    After half an hour, I've managed to get Sun Java installed on Ubuntu and have to work out how the hell to have it accept keyboard input.

Flange.. this. I'll play tommorow. This is why people don't use Ubuntu.
  • Flange.. this. I'll play tommorow. This is why people don't use Ubuntu for gaming.
  • edited November 2010
    Flange.. this. I'll play tommorow. This is why people don't use Ubuntu for general purpose desktop use.
  • edited November 2010
    After half an hour, I've managed to get Sun Java installed on Ubuntu and have to work out how the hell to have it accept keyboard input.
    sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jre
    java -jar Minecraft.jar

I'm playing on Ubuntu 10.04 without any issues. That is all I had to install.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Had them installed. Ubuntu often has issues that affect only a few configurations.
  • Is anyone else getting a time-out error?
  • Is anyone else getting a time-out error?
    I am.
  • Just returned from shopping. Reset server. All is well.

I'm going to have to work on installing a server wrapper that auto-restarts every couple of hours. That's because Notch's code has a memory leak that eventually slows and crashes all vanilla servers, apparently.
  • I'll have a look for some more server scripts. I'd like some of the "/playerlist" command type ones.
  • I seem to be getting a "Outdated Client" any ideas on what to do? (already re-downloaded the .exe, and tried playing the web version as well)
  • There's been an update pushed to servers but not yet clients.
  • edited November 2010
    I seem to be getting a "Outdated Client" any ideas on what to do? (already re-downloaded the .exe, and tried playing the web version as well)
    Your client has not updated correctly, and will not unless you do it manually.

Go to Start > Run... > type %appdata% > go to .minecraft > backup anything in the saves folder, then delete the .minecraft folder. Redownload EXE from minecraft.net and run it; it will reinstall the .minecraft directory. Restore your saves, run, connect to server.
    I'll have a look for some more server scripts. I'd like some of the "/playerlist" command type ones.
    If you want to see who is online, type /list.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited November 2010
    Well, Jason just threw a hissy fit. Server over after two days due to drama. Just walk away, everyone.

Short version, just so this doesn't confuse people:
    Jason reminds us he'll be turning monsters on.
    I complain ofhandedly that AI is not fun, I say I will go elsewhere if he activates them. (Why play a game you don't enjoy?)
    Jason retorts and disables my abillity to write changes.
    Seeing this, I leave.
  • Well, Jason just threw a hissy fit. Server over after two days due to drama. Just walk away, everyone.
    Nobody threw anything. I tired of your comments and your whining, so I de-oped you. Anyone who wants to play, play. Anybody who wants to be a nuisance, go away.
  • Jason, going to warn you now, if you can't handle valid criticism properly, this is not going to be fun.

Also, monsters do suck, but that's just my oppinion.
  • Jason, going to warn you now, if you can't handle valid criticism properly, this is not going to be fun.
  • edited November 2010
    Man, what's with all the KYM gifs being messed up today?
    Could you Imgur that?
  • Man, what's with all the KYM gifs being messed up today?
    Could you Imgur that?
    No. Deal with it.
  • Man, what's with all the KYM gifs being messed up today?
    Could you Imgur that?
    No. Deal with it.
    Deal with what?
  • I complain ofhandedly that AI is not fun, I say I will go elsewhere if he activates them.
    It's his server. He says he's going to turn them on. You go elsewhere. Nothing wrong with that. However, drama-ing is always wrong. You shouldn't have even said anything at all and just gone elsewhere quietly.

Though, I still say that the bad guys in Minecraft are just stupid. Most video games these days have figured out that combat should not interrupt other parts of the game. If you are playing Zelda, Resident Evil, Golden Sun, etc. there are puzzle solving areas and monster fighting areas. Never shall the two meet.

Minecraft makes the egregious error that this is the entire game. You are constantly trying to paint and monsters are constantly trying to ruin it. Imagine if you are playing Mario Paint, and I'm sitting next to you. Every minute or two I just grab the controller and press a bunch of random buttons.

If you want to play vs. survival mode, then monsters all the way. If you want to actually create things, then friendly mode or bust, IMHO.
  • edited November 2010
    It's his server. He says he's going to turn them on. You go elsewhere. Nothing wrong with that. However, drama-ing is always wrong. You shouldn't have even said anything at all and just gone elsewhere quietly.
    The original comment was pretty off-handed. I honestly didn't expect him to react like that. I'll see if I can pull up the log.

Log wipes when you close MC.
  • The original comment was pretty off-handed. I honestly didn't expect him to react like that. I'll see if I can pull up the log.
    Or you can just drop it and stop being a drama queen.
  • The original comment was pretty off-handed. I honestly didn't expect him to react like that. I'll see if I can pull up the log.
    Or you can just drop it and stop being a drama queen.
    Who, me? I'm trying to help the guy.
  • Or you can just drop it and stop being a drama queen.