This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Minecraft - First Person Dwarf Fortress.... Kinda

Comments

• Nowadays people don't care about graphics, but they're still playing shitty games like Farmville!
    I would argue that your perspective is still wrong, but only because Farmville isn't so much a game but a Skinner Box.
  • Nowadays people don't care about graphics, but they're still playing shitty games like Farmville!
    I would argue that your perspective is still wrong, but only because Farmville isn't so much a game but a Skinner Box.
    :%s/Farmville/WoW/g
  • edited January 2011
    but only because Farmville isn't so much a game
    No, fuck you, we are NOT getting into an argument about what is and is not a "game" again.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • but only because Farmville isn't so much a game
    No, fuck you, we are NOT getting into an argument about what is and is not a "game" again.
    But that's my favorite argument!
  • No, fuck you, we are NOT getting into an argument about what is and is not a "game" again.
    Hence we define the term for each panel we run. Farmville has yet to satisfy the requirements of any definition we've ever used. WoW technically does in most cases, though there is follow-on argument as to how well it does so.
  • But that's my favorite game!
  • but only because Farmville isn't so much a game
    But that's my favorite argument!
    Hey, let's get some Keyboard vs. Controller in here, too!
  • Keyboard vs. Controller is not a game.
  • Keyboard vs. Controller is not a game.
    But it's a fun argument.
  • Can a fun argument constitute a game?
  • Can a fun argument constitute a game?
    Well, let's define a game...
  • I'm of the utilitarian approach that Farmville is a game by definition but Avatar TLAB is also a film by definition. When you start adding and removing things on grounds of preference you should really just be more verbose.
  • Well, you can make a game out of just about anything. I remember in grade school we all had the Texas Instruments TI-108s, you know the ones:

We used to play a game to burn time that we called The Calculator Game, which was sort of like Progress Quest. You and some friends would enter 1+1 and jam on equals, and whoever got to the highest number at the end of a set period would win.

Arguably, it was a superior game to Farmville.
  • edited January 2011
    Oh man, I wasn't the only one? God, I was amazing at that game in third grade. No other kids could touch me.
    Post edited by JukeBoxJosh on
  • Wow, I thought my school was the only one that did that.
  • Oh man, I wasn't the only one? God, I was amazing at that game in third grade. No other kids could touch me.
    Wow, I thought my school was the only one that did that.
    What they said.
  • Oh man, I wasn't the only one? God, I was amazing at that game in third grade. No other kids could touch me.
    Wow, I thought my school was the only one that did that.
    What they said.
    Indeed.
  • Not a game but still amusing. If you type 7734 and turn the calculator upside down it says hell. I always got a kick out of that when I was a kid.
  • What about 55318008?
  • What about 55318008?
  • I found the GLSL mod of which Scott posted a video, and tried it. It did not work (I do NOT have an ATI card). Instead, it warped my playspace:

I also adds some subtle soft focus to the foreground.
  • :%s/Farmville/WoW/g
    I'm happy I get this joke now.
  • :%s/Farmville/WoW/g
    I'm happy I get this joke now.
  • He hit it all spot-on, I think.
    Incredibly so.
    Incredibly so.
    I haven't watched any Yahtzee reviews in years, but I watched this one.

Obviously he is much more humorous than I am. However, he basically says the exact same thing I have been saying. The game can't decide if it wants to be about making art or about fighting monsters. The difference is that in my eyes someone coming to smash your painting that you are working on totally sucks, but he thinks it is awesome.

When he's working on his next review video, I'm going to go and smash his hard drive with a hammer, and we'll see if his opinion changes.
  • When he's working on his next review video, I'm going to go and smash his hard drive with a hammer, and we'll see if his opinion changes.
    Awesome analogy, great job.
  • It's kinda like why make that sand castle if kids or the tide is just going to wreck it..... OH wait.
  • It's kinda like why make that sand castle if kids or the tide is just going to wreck it..... OH wait.
    It's one thing if you build it near the water and the tide wrecks it. You can choose to build out of reach of the tide. It's something completely different if someone comes and kicks it while you're working on it.