This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Minecraft - First Person Dwarf Fortress.... Kinda

Comments

• It's something completely different if someone comes and kicks it while you're working on it.
    That's not how Minecraft works. Creepers don't just blow shit up when you're not looking. They are proximity mines that spawn in darkness. For them to harm your buildings, you have to a) build poorly and b) walk up to creepers.
  • It's something completely different if someone comes and kicks it while you're working on it.
    That's not how Minecraft works. Creepers don't just blow shit up when you're not looking. They are proximity mines that spawn in darkness. For them to harm your buildings, you have to a) build poorly and b) walk up to creepers.
    It's ok. I only come to kick over your sandcastle if a hermit crap goes near this seashell.
  • It's ok. I only come to kick over your sandcastle if a hermit crap goes near this seashell.
    More like, "Hey, hermit crab, come here. You want some? Huh? You so stupid, hermit crab. Yo momma so fat. Yeah, you want a piece of this? Well come on, hermit crab, give it your best shot. You're a total douche. AAAAAGGGHHH! HERMIT CRAB, WHY YOU SNAP AT MY SAND CASTLE?"
  • More like, "Hey, hermit crab, come here. You want some? Huh? You so stupid, hermit crab. Yo momma so fat. Yeah, you want a piece of this? Well come on, hermit crab, give it your best shot. You're a total douche. AAAAAGGGHHH! HERMIT CRAB, WHY YOU SNAP AT MY SAND CASTLE?"
    I was thinking "Goddamn, you stupid fucking landmine, why did you have to detonate when I triggered you! How could I know that by tripping your detonation switch, you'd detonate?" but that works too.
  • It's one thing if you build it near the water and the tide wrecks it. You can choose to build out of reach of the tide. It's something completely different if someone comes and kicks it while you're working on it.
    Still you build a sandcastle with the knowledge it will only be there for a while.
  • I don't know about you guys but I've been blown up by creepers that have surprised me.
  • It's kinda like why make that sand castle if kids or the tide is just going to wreck it..... OH wait.
    It's one thing if you build it near the water and the tide wrecks it. You can choose to build out of reach of the tide. It's something completely different if someone comes and kicks it while you're working on it.
    You can choose to play in pacifist mode as well.
  • It's kinda like why make that sand castle if kids or the tide is just going to wreck it..... OH wait.
    It's one thing if you build it near the water and the tide wrecks it. You can choose to build out of reach of the tide. It's something completely different if someone comes and kicks it while you're working on it.
    You can choose to play in pacifist mode as well.
    Which I did.
  • You can choose to play in pacifist mode as well.
    Which does also make it much harder to find certain things - for example, if you get the skill of trapping and killing creepers down pat, then they can give you a pretty decent supply of suphur, which I've found to be irritatingly rare otherwise - it's only occasionally in random reward dungeons. Ditto that for bones with skeletons(bone meal makes trees and other plants go ludicrously fast), feathers for zombies, and string from spiders(essential for crafting dispensers).
  • Just installed the Mo' Creatures mod this evening. Pretty fun. But I wish there were more underground-ish monsters instead of just various land animals.
  • edited February 2011
    With my new gpu, I was getting like 600 fps on Jason's minecraft server. I'm worried this might cause it to overheat, like the starcraft II problem did. Suggestions?
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • With my new gpu, I was getting like 600 fps on Jason's minecraft server. I'm worried this might cause it to overheat, like the starcraft II problem did. Suggestions?
    Limit the framerate from the menu?
  • This is AMAZING.

• This is AMAZING.
    Love it!
  • edited February 2011
    Minecraft documentary on Kickstarter looks pretty awesome: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2pp/minecraft-the-story-of-mojang
    Post edited by Alex Leavitt on
  • Diode/Repeater blocks just got added, which means that minecraft electronics just went from vacuum tubes to solid-state.
  • Diode/Repeater blocks just got added, which means that minecraft electronics just went from vacuum tubes to solid-state.
    Someone needs to make an ATMega8U2 in minecraft. Mineduino bitches!
  • My friend and I loaded up on a ton of bonemeal, and figured out how to "stitch" trees together.

We're building a living castle.
  • edited February 2011
    Notch is thinking seriously about adding Achivements to minecraft.

Summary for those who can't be bothered to read the article before they go mental about achivements being shite - He's thinking of using them like a quest tree, and to encourage people to try new things. You have to unlock those further up, before you can unlock the ones further along the tree. He's also trying to make it very clearly a "Here's something you can try" rather than "Here's how you do it", and they will never be at any point essential. If he will do it or not as of yet is undecided.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Sounds like he wants to make a tutorial, in which case why call it achievments?
  • Sounds like he wants to make a tutorial, in which case why call it achievments?
    Because I don't think he wants a tutorial. A tutorial involves you telling the player how to play the game, but a lot of the fun of single player Minecraft is discovering what you can do in the game (either through playing or from talking to friends, or from looking it up online.) Plus the game has reached probably near critical mass in terms of sales, and all those people who have been playing it for months don't need a tutorial.

What he has described with the branching achievement system, is really more of a branching quest system in a way, which allows them to give a structure to the single player without imposing themselves in the game too much and ruining the immersion of the player.
    He's also trying to make it very clearly a "Here's something you can try" rather than "Here's how you do it"
  • Holy shit. Notch, on why he declined a job offer from Valve: “I don’t want to work for Valve,” he explained as we walked back to the office. “I want to be Valve.”

Also, a tiny server I run is presently running Craftbukkit with Runecraft and MinecraftMania. It's basically the greatest thing ever.
  • Craftbukkit
    Yes, I can't wait until they have Bukkit worked out to the point where it has a stable release. I really miss my plugins.
  • edited March 2011
    We've actually noticed a significant decrease in lag, chunk errors, and client/server errors with the switch to Craftbukkit. Granted, it's only a ten-person server, but in my experience it's more stable and runs smoother than Notch's vanilla server.

Makes being an admin very easy, too.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I haven't looked at the weekly devbuild of Bukkit in a few weeks. Do you still have to compile the release, or is it executable yet?
  • It's executable. You have to write a little batch script to actually run the .jar, but that's not hard. A lot of prewritten ones are on YouTube tutorials for starting a (Craft)Bukkit server; just pick the one you need.
  • So, I'm running vanilla server on a linux box without a lot of RAM (512 Megs), and it seems to be running alright, besides all of the block-reappearing lag/bs. What would you guys recommend for the OPTIMAL SOLUTION? This Bukkit thing sounds interesting, but is it stable enough for production?