This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Minecraft - First Person Dwarf Fortress.... Kinda

Comments

• The memory management of hMod was way better than Notch's vanilla server. Then hMod went belly-up and the vanilla server's performance has gradually improved with each patch. It would be interesting to see some benchmarks comparing vanilla's performance to hMod's replacement (Bukkit).
  • Bukkit runs the server operations across multiple threads (like hMod) instead of Notch's single-threading, so there is some noticeable improvement.
  • Bukkit runs the server operations across multiple threads (like hMod) instead of Notch's single-threading, so there is some noticeable improvement.
    Ooh, that sounds nice. Is it possible to port a vanilla server world over to Bukkit?
  • Yeah. Take the "world" folder from your vanilla directory and copypasta it into the Bukkit directory.
  • edited March 2011
    Minecraft Refrigerator magnets.
    I've already got them all.
    OH wait, these are @ Thinkgeek. They stole the idea from the guy on Etsy that I bought mine from.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • They stole the idea from the guy on Etsy that I bought mine from.
    Or, they actually licensed the product, like they stated and unlike the Etsy fellow. Perhaps they even bought the design from the Etsy fellow.
  • I am currently enforcing admin rules with a pack of eight wolves. We're on peaceful, but they can still murder the shit out of anyone who causes trouble.
  • I am currently enforcing admin rules with a pack of eight wolves. We're on peaceful, but they can still murder the shit out of anyone who causes trouble.
    If by that you mean cows, lambs and chickens.
    If by that you mean cows, lambs and chickens.
    No, he's talking players. $10 says he has PVP enabled on his server. :D
  • edited April 2011
    MINECRAFT APRIL FOOLS YOU GUYS!

I dunno about multiplayer, but I generated a single player world and got an awesome minecraft april fools!
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • MINECRAFT APRIL FOOLS YOU GUYS!

I dunno about multiplayer, but I generated a single player world and got an awesome minecraft april fools!
    I keep hearing about this, but haven't seen anything to indicate it. :\
  • A seven-person server I run has entered the Age of Aviation. There are dogfights, airbases, and bombing runs.
  • An interesting look into the Minecraft teacher.
  • edited June 2011
    If anyone's interested in helping out this summer, I just posted a page for the initial stage of a research project: http://alexleavitt.com/minecraftphd/
    Post edited by Alex Leavitt on
  • If anyone's interested in helping out this summer, I just posted a page for the initial stage of a research project: http://alexleavitt.com/minecraftphd/
    My good friend is in the game development program at USC. Would he be useful to you?
  • If anyone's interested in helping out this summer, I just posted a page for the initial stage of a research project: http://alexleavitt.com/minecraftphd/
    My good friend is in the game development program at USC. Would he be useful to you?
    That would actually be really cool and helpful. Mind sending an email introduction w/ me CCed?
  • This looks really interesting! I look forward to hearing your findings!

I feel kinda sad that I missed your Minecraft talk at PAX east; would you mind bringing a copy of your note/slides/whatever to the AX meetup this thursday? I'd love to check em out and talk about it with you.
  • I sent him the link, but we're gonna be at AX this weekend, so maybe we can meet up and I can introduce you then!
  • I sent him the link, but we're gonna be at AX this weekend, so maybe we can meet up and I can introduce you then!
    Even better! Hope to run into you!
  • edited August 2011
    Did anyone buy tickets to Minecon? It'd be cool to see from FRCers there!
    Post edited by Alex Leavitt on
  • I just started up Minecraft for the first time in like, 6 months. I forgot how effective this game is at being scary as fuck.
  • I had this conversation at work today:

(coworker sends some Creeper picture)
    Me [10:18 AM]:
    Daww
    Though they "devastate the landscape and gouge out the earth" when they ssssss
    Keith [10:18 AM]:
    Minor details
    They'd never have to do that if we didn't destory their land first!
    Me [10:19 AM]:
    That we know about it
    Maybe they go around nuking sheep when we can't see
    Keith [10:19 AM]:
    That would explain all the wool I keep stumbling across for no good reason
    I've always wondered how Creepers breed. Do they find a mate to detonate with, flinging hundereds of little baby-creepers into the lands?

Which led to drawing this.
  • edited September 2011
    Dear Minecraft 1.8 release: Why do monsters spawn every time I use a bed?

Also: HUNGER?! Tundra, more wolves, animals run away when you hunt them, swamps...
    Post edited by Jason on
  • I now finally have a legit copy of Minecraft. What server is everyone using nowadays?
  • One of my friends is really, really good at making airships.
  • He should make a giant "Space gun."