This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• You can always implement the $1000 fine IF you fail. I know plenty of excellent drivers who would never be able to survive a fee like that. I can see a potential increase in fake licenses.
  • Congressmen should have tutors so they know shit about tech and such.
    They actually do. Congressmen don't know much about the world, but they know that they don't know much, so they hire people to teach them when they have to vote on something. Problem is that the people they hire don't know anything, and the congressmen themselves don't know that because they don't know anything.
  • You can always implement the $1000 fine IF you fail. I know plenty of excellent drivers who would never be able to survive a fee like that. I can see a potential increase in fake licenses.
    But it's not about being an excellent driver, it's a tax to use the roadways and fund public transit for people who can't afford it. That's why the Autobahn is glorious; only people who really, really need to use it pay the license fee, and those that don't just take Germany's incredible train system.

But it's not about being an excellent driver, it's a tax to use the roadways and fund public transit for people who can't afford it. That's why the Autobahn is glorious; only people who really, really need to use it pay the license fee, and those that don't just take Germany's incredible train system.

Unfortunately, given the spread-out nature of the US and the lack of decent public transportation infrastructure, this would not work very well here. It's great if you live and work in a major city, but if you live and work in the 'burbs, you're out of luck. Around Boston, for example, a lot of the tech companies are located in the 'burbs. There are a few smack dab in the middle of the city around Kendall Square, just over the Charles River in Cambridge and near MIT, but most aren't so conveniently located.

Unfortunately, given the spread-out nature of the US and the lack of decent public transportation infrastructure, this would not work very well here. It's great if you live and work in a major city, but if you live and work in the 'burbs, you're out of luck. Around Boston, for example, a lot of the tech companies are located in the 'burbs. There are a few smack dab in the middle of the city around Kendall Square, just over the Charles River in Cambridge and near MIT, but most aren't so conveniently located.
    That's the idea. People and companies will be given very strong incentives to move, and to create a newer and more efficient infrastructure. Short term suffering, long term benefit.
  • Currently, each state controls its own licensing but is required to accept licenses from other states, right? A system like that would have to be controlled by the federal government. Otherwise you'll get 1 or 2 states with really easy tests that cost $2000 to bring in money.
  • That's the idea. People and companies will be given very strong incentives to move, and to create a newer and more efficient infrastructure. Short term suffering, long term benefit.
    I for one wouldn't mind taking a train to work (at least commuter rail to Boston is only a couple minutes by car from my house), although I generally kinda like the suburban life over the city life partly due to it being cheaper and partly because I like having a house with a yard. I have a feeling that other folks may feel the same way about suburban life and may not be as willing to commute by train even if given the option. Plus, given how expensive real estate is in cities vs. suburbs, it may not be cost effective to move, even with all these other incentives. All the tech companies in Kendall Square tend to be either really huge and super profitable (Microsoft, Google, and even EMC have satellite offices there) or hot start-ups that want to attract talent from nearby MIT and Harvard and don't care how much cash they blow on real estate because they're flooded with venture capital. Everyone else (including EMC's main offices) stays in the 'burbs due to cheaper real estate.
    Currently, each state controls its own licensing but is required to accept licenses from other states, right? A system like that would have to be controlled by the federal government. Otherwise you'll get 1 or 2 states with really easy tests that cost $2000 to bring in money.
    True, but you can't get a license in a state unless you live there and the various DMVs, RMVs, or whatever you call them require you to provide proof of residence in the form of a bank statement, utility bill, etc., before they'll issue you a license. Unless you want to deal with maintaining two residences, it's not worth state hopping for a cheaper license.
  • edited December 2011
    I for one wouldn't mind taking a train to work (at least commuter rail to Boston is only a couple minutes by car from my house), although I generally kinda like the suburban life over the city life partly due to it being cheaper and partly because I like having a house with a yard. I have a feeling that other folks may feel the same way about suburban life and may not be as willing to commute by train even if given the option. Plus, given how expensive real estate is in cities vs. suburbs, it may not be cost effective to move, even with all these other incentives. All the tech companies in Kendall Square tend to be either really huge and super profitable (Microsoft, Google, and even EMC have satellite offices there) or hot start-ups that want to attract talent from nearby MIT and Harvard and don't care how much cash they blow on real estate because they're flooded with venture capital. Everyone else (including EMC's main offices) stays in the 'burbs due to cheaper real estate.
    Again, that's the idea. YOU WILL SUFFER. Perhaps you will suffer a great deal. Things that will cause you a major amount of pain and aggravation will happen to you. You will have to do things you do not like, and you will be unhappy. You may have to suffer for the rest of your life in conditions that you are extremely dissatisfied with. The only consolation you will have will be that your suffering is a payment that will purchase a better life for future generations that you will never live to see. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. The suburban lifestyle you prefer will cease to exist in exchange for efficiency, environmental benefits, and many other benefits that you may not be the recipient of. I call it the tough shit rule. That is what you would see with Scott Rubin the dictator.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Of course, Scott Rubin the dictator wouldn't be suffering. He'd have his giant mega palace and his huge gas guzzler vehicle and all that while the rest of us peons live like Chinese peasants. :P
  • edited December 2011
    Of course, Scott Rubin the dictator wouldn't be suffering. He'd have his giant mega palace and his huge gas guzzler vehicle and all that while the rest of us peons live like Chinese peasants. :P
    I would also be suffering. I would also probably be dead because I would refuse a security detail.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Part of me wants a world with Scott Rubin the Dictator, just to see what would happen.

This is why we need virtual machines, but for the world instead of for computers.
  • edited December 2011
    Part of me wants a world with Scott Rubin the Dictator, just to see what would happen.

This is why we need virtual machines, but for the world instead of for computers.
    I admit, some type of perfect world simulation which allows for Scott Rubin to be a simulated dictator would be fascinating to watch.

Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • Rym and Scott are the 1%.
  • I just overheard my roommates talking about how cool and novel downloading music from IRC was.
  • edited December 2011
    Public transit? What is this public transit you speak of? Fuck that shit! I'm driving my car, bitches!

What is the benefit to having tech companies move to a crowded city anyway? By pitching tent in a suburban area, they would have easy access to potential space for expansion. Plus, a company can boost its own efficiency within the confines of their suburban location, especially of they are mostly self-contained anyway.

What is SO bad about suburban living, anyway? I lived deep in the city once, and I'm never doing that shit again.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • Buisnesses go were the people are, people go where the jobs are.

Still, I'm looking forward to things like geo-fronts and all those other cool arcetecural marvels.

(And suddenly, Chrome spellcheck isn't working.)
  • Rym and Scott are the 1%.
    Depends on 1% of what. 1% of Bronies that make a podcast, maybe. Economic 1%, you must be dreaming. If we were in the 1%, I would make my own animation studio, animal shelter, private school, etc. I would not be riding the train every day and saving vacation and money for 2 years so I can go to Japan for a couple of weeks.
  • I typed that after I listened to the latest cast and Rym said, "I'm a Wall Street guy".
  • I just got off of work, home is ~3 miles away, I don't have a car, and nobody can pick me up for another ~hour. But I get free popcorn.
  • Having enough money to buy a new microphone for a podcast isn't the same level as being in "the 1%"!
  • edited December 2011
    Having enough money to buy a new microphone for a podcast isn't the same level as being in "the 1%"!
    Obviously. I was just saying that they make a well produced show, and they don't have near enough monies to be considered in the 1%.
    I typed that after I listened to the latest cast and Rym said, "I'm a Wall Street guy".
    Not all Financial Sector employees are fabulously wealthy. (Although the compensation does seem to be above average, compared to other industries.)
    That's like saying all movie actors are super rich. There are rich movie stars, but the majority of actors live fairly normal lives.

Post edited by gomidog on
  • Has it occurred to any of you that it might've been a joke? Y'know, something for people to get a quick chuckle at the idea of?
  • Has it occurred to any of you that it might've been a joke? Y'know, something for people to get a quick chuckle at the idea of?
  • edited December 2011
    *Shrug* Just sayin'
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • 1% = Hyper-Obscene Wealth

Rym and Scott are "men of means."
    Not as much as you'd think. You only need to be making $250,000 annually. That seems like a lot, but considering these are the aristocrats the proletariat are supposed to be rising against, that's actually not that much.
    Not as much as you'd think. You only need to be making $250,000 annually. That seems like a lot, but considering these are the aristocrats the proletariat are supposed to be rising against, that's actually not that much.
    I've worked for people that make that much, and I assure, it is quite a bit of money when their next best paid employees make less than a quarter of that. Also, I think you might be incorrect about that figure, so please site.
  • edited December 2011
    I think you might be incorrect about that figure, so please site.
    It was an episode of Planet Money on NPR. I don't remember which, but that's the source.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • I think you might be incorrect about that figure, so please site.
    It was an episode of Planet Money on NPR. I don't remember which, but that's the source.
    How convenient...