This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• Organizing books on the kindle without companion software is kinda arse. No batch-actions(so, that means, you have to put things in collections one by one), deleting books from your device is buried down a layer deep in a menu, and while Calibre is the best at doing what it does, there is no official management software to speed(or even enable, in some cases) the process - which is really kind of essential, if you have books that are not acquired from amazon. Even then, it's kinda pants when you've got a large number of non-amazon books - It's taken me half the evening to get my smallish collection(about 350 books or so, that I'm putting on the device) sorted, organized, duplicates weeded out, and so on.
  • Hey, neat. My household is in the top 16% of the IRS filers, based on that WSJ tool. Looks like I'll need to become a dick Republican.

Of course, it doesn't take into account debt to income ratios. I definitely don't feel like I'm in the top percentiles of anything, aside from comparing my lifestyle to those in the rest of the civilized world.
    It's true that after a certain point, once your daily necessities are met and you feel relatively secure, happiness plateaus regardless of your wealth.
    At that point, money becomes power, potential to do things and take risks. The poorer you are, the fewer risks you can take with your capital.
    Well said.
  • My friend who recently got a Kindle Fire complains about the same thing. He is thinking of returning it.

I wonder if the Kindle app for iOS allows these things. I honestly haven't tried nor do I have a lot of ebooks.
  • It's true that after a certain point, once your daily necessities are met and you feel relatively secure, happiness plateaus regardless of your wealth.
    At that point, money becomes power, potential to do things and take risks. The poorer you are, the fewer risks you can take with your capital.
    Rym, as of right now, could not found (for example) a broadcasting company. However, if he made 1,000,000 a year, founding another company and investing in it would not have as much risk of destroying his life.
    I think this is quite true. I've spent some time thinking about what I would do if I suddenly became ridiculously wealthy (won the lottery or something like that). The thing is, I don't see my lifestyle changing all that much. I'd probably buy my own small plane and a vacation home somewhere, do some more traveling, etc., but I'd still work at my current job, live in the same house, drive the same car, etc. These would all be nice to have things, of course, but I can't see myself going to the excesses some wealthy folks do.
  • My friend who recently got a Kindle Fire complains about the same thing. He is thinking of returning it.

I wonder if the Kindle app for iOS allows these things. I honestly haven't tried nor do I have a lot of ebooks.
    I don't know about the kindle fire, I picked up the Kindle Keyboard because it suited my requirements better. Tell him to get Calibre if he hasn't already - The process is still a bit slow, but at least with Calibre, once you have it set up, it's mostly automated.

With some plugins and a little elbow grease, I've managed to do everything I needed to do, even updating to all the correct metadata and the batch-conversion to make sure all my books are the appropriate formats.

My gripe is more that I shouldn't have to use a third party program and plugins to do the simplest device management tasks - The best amazon offers is either on the device, or some management of purchased books and buying books from other devices that have the Kindle app available.
  • Goddammit I can't find anywhere that sells kilts in my county tartan (if you know any sites my family is from County Kerry). No I'm not getting a utilikilt.
  • Hey, neat. My household is in the top 16% of the IRS filers, based on that WSJ tool. Looks like I'll need to become a dick Republican.
    Don't let it get to you. I'm in the top %11, and I'm far left even by Massachusetts standards.
  • I actually LIKE that SWTOR has level-scaled PvP, and wish the whole game was like that. For those of you that havn't seen it, level 10s and level 50s in the instanced player-vs-player content are scaled to comparable stats. The 50s have more skills/spells and should (if well played) be able to win, but the 10s do equal damage (in theory at least).
  • Anti-Depressants for Christmas is the name of my holiday album. I don't have a band, or musical talent, but this is still true.
  • I'd just like to say FUCK THE GEMA. Well, at least it's only at work they annoy me. Then again, why the fuck does my company have to access the internet through germany?
  • "You can't get double pregnant, it doesn't work that way."
  • "You can't get double pregnant, it doesn't work that way."
    Actually you kind of can.

• Well how about that. I'll have to tell the drunks that their seemingly crackpot theory was right.
  • Listening to music at 2x speed just makes me feel like Alvin and the Chipmunks have really done some really obscure covers.
  • I feel pretty good that my mom and sister have gotten into Skyrim in the past few hours. Sure, I'd like to play right now, but it's good that they're into it.
  • Someone stole the nuts. Squirrel jail. JUSTICE!
  • "Munchkin Bites", "Munchkin Cthulu", or "Munchkin Impossible"?
  • why not all three?
  • edited December 2011
    why not all three?
    Because that B&N gift card I've got is only enough for one.

Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Munchkin Cthulhu got bad reviews, IIRC.
  • Munchkin is not a good game.
  • I should note, I'm back from the island. Relaxed, tired, sunburnt redder than carrot top's pubes, feels good man.
  • edited December 2011
    This is the internet hate machine. If you fire it, you are going to ruin somebody's day.
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • Internet hate machine is surprisingly phallic. Actually it's not surprising at all.
  • That's the Galaxy Gun from the Star Wars Expanded Universe. I'll go back to my nerd cave now.
  • That's the Galaxy Gun from the Star Wars Expanded Universe. I'll go back to my nerd cave now.
    The Force is strong in this one. (I mistook it for the Sun Crusher.)
  • You mean this?
  • Yup. I get the names confused. Which is probably a mark in my favor... NERDS. :D
  • Yup. I get the names confused. Which is probably a mark in my favor... NERDS. :D
    Though the fact that you had something else to confuse it with is a mark against you. Anyone who reads Star Wars expanded universe needs to discover real literature. The Star Trek books are forgivable, but still bad.
    Though the fact that you had something else to confuse it with is a mark against you. Anyone who reads Star Wars expanded universe needs to discover real literature. The Star Trek books are forgivable, but still bad.
    You stay away from my Gaunt's Ghosts, you hear me?