This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• Octopi?
    Wrong correction. I should have used Octopuses, not Octopus. Octopi is a contentious one, but to save debate on the linguistics of it, I go with the OED personally, in that Octopuses is the correct term, and Octopi is not.
    A friend of mine who was a classics major (and therefore knew Greek) stated that the correct pluralization of "octopus" is actually "octopodes," given the word's Greek roots.

• edited December 2011
    Octopi?
    Wrong correction. I should have used Octopuses, not Octopus. Octopi is a contentious one, but to save debate on the linguistics of it, I go with the OED personally, in that Octopuses is the correct term, and Octopi is not.
    A friend of mine who was a classics major (and therefore knew Greek) stated that the correct pluralization of "octopus" is actually "octopodes," given the word's Greek roots.
    Pedantic, but correct. It's on equal footing with Octopuses - both are equally correct, though your friend's argument doesn't quite hold up - IIRC, Octopus is a neo-Latin word, with it coming to English thanks to neo-latin rather than from Greek.

Can you tell I've had this argument before?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Am I the only one that uses both Firefox and Chrome for different reasons? I use Firefox when I want to use an extension and I also have it remember all my tabs. In a sense it's my daily 'work' browser.

Meanwhile I use Chrome for watching web video (It just does flash better) and for quick web checks since I don't have it remember my tabs (or anything else for that matter). It's my quick lightweight browser.
  • I use Chrome at work (default browser for the company) and Firefox at home (no real reason).

I have run into no significant differences between the two.
  • Octopi?
    Pedantic, but correct. It's on equal footing with Octopuses - both are equally correct, though your friend's argument doesn't quite hold up - IIRC, Octopus is a neo-Latin word, with it coming to English thanks to neo-latin rather than from Greek.

Yes I can tell. Then again, "octopus" may be neo-Latin, but the neo-Latin word also came from Greek "oktopous," so it's kinda complicated.
  • Octopi?

Yes I can tell. Then again, "octopus" may be neo-Latin, but the neo-Latin word also came from Greek "oktopous," so it's kinda complicated.
    Yeah, I know, aye. That's why I generally don't get too worked up about it - Far as I'm concerned, Octopuses or Octopodes are both fine, and Octopi is alright too, albeit slightly less so. As long as I know what the person is trying to say, it's cool, really.
  • edited December 2011
    Octopi?

Its neo-Latin version is in the third declension: octopus, octopodis. Therefore, octopodes is the Latinized plural as well.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • edited December 2011
    Octopi?

Its neo-Latin version is in the third declension: octopus, octopodis. Therefore, octopodes is the Latinized plural as well.
    Likely correct, my latin is not good enough to say otherwise. I only know that octopi is incorrect if one comes to that conclusion based on the fact that it's in the second declension, which is incorrect.

I'm still going with the experts here, and sticking with Octopuses personally. Though while they tend to concur on the point that Octopuses is the preferred word, they do differ on if Octopi is acceptable, or if (to quote Fowlers) “the only acceptable plural in English is octopuses.”

Post edited by Churba on
  • Octopi?

Likely correct, my latin is not good enough to say otherwise. I only know that octopi is incorrect if one comes to that conclusion based on the fact that it's in the second declension, which is incorrect.

I'm still going with the experts here, and sticking with Octopuses personally. Though while they tend to concur on the point that Octopuses is the preferred word, they do differ on if Octopi is acceptable, or if (to quote Fowlers) “the only acceptable plural in English is octopuses.”

Me and Scott Spaziani had this discussion at CTcon. I believe it ended in me declaring the plural of pegasus "pegasuses" and him saying "You're right, but I still want to punch you in the face."
  • edited December 2011
    Derek Chappell says
    ok onto real world stuff
    dude did you see those Rick Perry ads
    Victor Coronado says
    …no, actually
    Lemmee see if I can quick find some…
    Derek Chappell says
    oh my god they are so funny dude
    I posted on a forum with “You know I was going to make a parody right-wing campaign ad, but Rick Perry beat me to it!”
    Victor Coronado says
    Mah god
    It’s so amazing
    Derek Chappell says
    just look at that dislike bar
    it’s a solid colour
    Victor Coronado says
    I know how he feels!
    Derek Chappell says
    and that colour ain’t green yo!
    Victor Coronado says
    What kind of country do we live in where people can openly drink in the streets, yet you can’t sacrifice one child to the Great Devourer Al-Sothsil or read the Ten Tomes of Truth in schools?
    Madness, I say!
    I believe in faith.
    Well, I must hear more of this man’s teachings
    Derek Chappell says
    Finally a politician who shares my traditional values of blood rites to Teth’soluku in schools!
    also Teth’soluku would make a bitchin’ ancient creature from out of space
    I’m picturing a snake-like creature where both ends are the same head
    like, he’s totally non-linear; he doesn’t loop in on himself, but only has one end
    also it means anything that he consumes is lost forever in non-linear space
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • If someone yells "for Science!" it is a fair bet they're about to violate every tenant of science.
  • edited December 2011
    If someone yells "for Science!" it is a fair bet they're about to violate every tenant of science.
    That's a complete lie, I'll definitely repeat the experiment to verify the results, if I live.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Today I learnt that the Romans had doors, sometimes they used them. That was the entire focus of a lecture. Yep I can see where my money is going.
  • Today I learnt that the Romans had doors, sometimes they used them.
    Only sometimes?
  • Yep a lot of the time they kept them open so that people could come in, or not in some cases. In other cases they were used as a way of showing a lavish wall to people, and in short no one really knows as the research is still going on. Needless to say that it is an area of study I will not be going into.
  • Yep a lot of the time they kept them open so that people could come in, or not in some cases. In other cases they were used as a way of showing a lavish wall to people, and in short no one really knows as the research is still going on. Needless to say that it is an area of study I will not be going into.
    OH! I just thought you meant they jumped out of their windows when they wanted to leave the house, or something.

OH! I just thought you meant they jumped out of their windows when they wanted to leave the house, or something.

Always an epic way to make an exit.
  • edited December 2011
    My little brother just mocked me for going to the bathroom with my laptop. Is this weird? I find it pretty typical and an excellent way to peruse the internet.
    Post edited by Clockian on
  • edited December 2011
    "peruse" ;)
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • My little brother just mocked me for going to the bathroom with my laptop. Is this weird? I find it pretty typical and an excellent way to peruse the internet.
    Yes, it is gross! I don't want my gadgets near the toilet, nor my books. Granted, I have this hang-up where I cannot touch things with my hands while I am pooping, even if I haven't wiped yet. It is like "if you are on the toilet, your hands are unclean until you wash them!"

• That's what your phone is for.
  • edited December 2011
    You know what? I'm starting to really dislike the Nerdist podcast. Any sort of criticism, no matter how mild, is simply mocked. Chris has gone from kinda funny and interesting, to simply being self-absorbed - Yeah, I really need to hear about how you used to be a fat, drunk slob and now you're thin and awesome again, dude, considering you're on episode 146, that would mean it's only that it's the 150th time we've heard it. I'm happy for you and all, good work, dude - but seriously, do you have something else to talk about? You've been so many places, done a bunch of shows, seen a ton of things, met a huge amount of people, and yet half the stories you tell, you're talking the same talk over and over about how you used to suck?

Matt and Jonah are...Well, they're not too bad. Not much to say about them, really, sorry lads.

Also, I know that if Hardwick sees this, he's likely to go on a spiel about it, the same spiel he goes on every time anyone criticizes the show even a little bit, about how it's free, and people are so entitled criticizing things that they get for free, and how people are just assholes and trolls, blah blah blah. Matt and Jonah will contribute the same witty one-liners they contributed the last time and the time before, and the time before.

So, I guess I can only say in return - Sure, mock if you feel you must. I don't mind, really, but frankly, any criticism is not an invitation to have a go at people. It doesn't make you big or clever, it's just passive-aggressive nonsense because you've got the Mic, and they don't.
    Just because it makes you feel bad sometimes, doesn't mean you have to try to make other people feel bad - That's just being a petty little bully, it's schoolyard bullshit, man.

Is posting this here, instead of emailing him or putting it in the Nerdist comments passive agressive? Yeah, I guess it is. Admittedly, I just don't want to make the guy feel bad, because he seems to take critique to heart, even though I'm just some jackass on the internet. Also, I suppose, if he wants to mock it, then fuck, he can work for it and find the damn thing.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Back to the plurals discussion.

Platypus: Word of the day.
  • My little brother just mocked me for going to the bathroom with my laptop. Is this weird? I find it pretty typical and an excellent way to peruse the internet.
    Yes, it is gross! I don't want my gadgets near the toilet, nor my books. Granted, I have this hang-up where I cannot touch things with my hands while I am pooping, even if I haven't wiped yet. It is like "if you are on the toilet, your hands are unclean until you wash them!"

Fun fact: the average toilet seat has several orders of magnitude less bacteria than the average office keyboard.
    Always an epic way to make an exit.

• What would the reward be for funding my group of friends' steampunk project on kickstarter? I really need an idea for that.
  • Steampunk themed nerf guns. Prints of some awesome steampunk themed art.
  • Lee Young Ae is friggin hot.
  • Afghan and British soldiers rescued a captured police man in what they described as a "monster" battle.

First thing I thought of was Pokemon.
  • There is a joke here. Something with a cop and pepper spray being super effective.....