This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• Excuse me, are we actually having a serious discussion about Twilight?
  • edited December 2011
    I was thinking the same thing. It's all Jason's fault.

BTW Jason, Arya kills Tyrion. Enjoy your books.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Ginny Weasley Is the Bella of Harry Potter. Bland and annoying.
  • I note that Rifftrax makes the Twilight films not only watchable, but thoroughly entertaining, along with a group of friends.
  • I note that Rifftrax makes the Twilight films not only watchable, but thoroughly entertaining, along with a group of friends.
    I've seen the first one and can attest to this.

And now, a random comment: http://soundcloud.com/awesomecat/kanye-west-ft-awesomecat-all
  • edited December 2011
    Related
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Go team Jason! Werewolves are cooler! I vote for Jason the werewolf!
    He's a pedophile.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm honestly kind of over the concept of literature in the sense of "classics" or "heavy reading" or whateverthefuck being somehow detached from "popcorn books", especially as most heavy literature is just old popcorn literature that we elevated to a higher status out of the nostalgia and clumsy literary analysis.
    Case in Point - Atlas Shrugged is considered a classic of literature. While the philosophical ideas are worth discussion, the book itself is the horribly written garbage you've ever seen. It is, in fact, a few shades worse than Twilight. It's generally considered to be a very important book, one of the classics of literature, but I challenge you(the open You, Not you specifically, Sketchbook) to find a single official Warhammer book that's worse than Atlas Shrugged.

Just because it's popcorn, doesn't mean you should bother listening to people getting snooty about it.
    He's a pedophile.
    True that. Team Corpsey-the-abusive-yet-glittery-husband or Team childfucker.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Well, some of the CS Goto stuff is pretty godawful, but Atlas Shrugged really is one of the most putrid things ever deposited on paper, so excellent point.

You'd have to read a Starcraft novel to get something Randian-bad.
  • Excuse me, are we actually having a serious discussion about Twilight?
    This made me laugh. A lot.
  • Forgive me if I'm asking a dangerous question here, but why do you all know so much about Twilight?!
  • Sorry, but I'm a stickler for vampire canon. I'd rather much have Kurt Barlow than any Cullen. And for those who get my ref, a cookie is in order.
  • I see no demonstrable difference between Twilight and ponies.

USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST.
  • edited December 2011
    I see no demonstrable difference between Twilight and ponies.

Yes, my name is Twilight Sparkle. OMG, you are totally the first person to make a vampire joke! I'd like you to meet my friend Luke. He has never heard a Star Wars joke in his whole life.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Forgive me if I'm asking a dangerous question here, but why do you all know so much about Twilight?!
    http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/bum-reviews/33291-twilight-breaking-dawn-part-1
    Ever since watching this, I've been meaning to gather up my friends and marathon those movies.
  • The only thing I know about this subject is what Emily told me. Based on that, wherewolf guy is best. The girl and the sparkle vampires suck balls.
    Not having read the books, I just figured it was a choice between the stupid sparkly vampire, or a big wolf the size of a pony I could ride around the forest Princess Mononoke style who turns into a hot American Indian dude.

Yes, my name is Twilight Sparkle. OMG, you are totally the first person to make a vampire joke! I'd like you to meet my friend Luke. He has never heard a Star Wars joke in his whole life.
    OH, I GET IT! "RYM" SOUNDS LIKE "RIM," WHICH IS WHY YOU SAID "RIM JOB." WHAT A CLEVER YOUNG MAN!
  • Having read all the books (not entirely by my choice), Edward made me just as angry about his character as Bella did.
    Edward was just like, "Bella. BELLA. BELLLAAAA" the ENTIRE goddamn time, like he had no other drive in life because OH HEY, HE REALLY DIDN'T. I challenge anyone to come up with some ambition or drive or even STRONG INTEREST he had OTHER than Bella. He tries to kill himself for her "safety", for crying out loud!
    And Jacob... Stephanie Meyer realized about three fourths of the way through New Moon that there wasn't actually anything wrong with Jacob and he was an inherently better/healthier pick for Bella. From that point on, she writes him as an ASSHOLE. I literally had to stop at one point and go back a few pages and thought, "why is he suddenly changing character on me? This is JARRING."

What pisses me EVEN MORE is that it's not that she CAN'T write interesting characters, IT'S THAT SHE'S TOO GODDAMN LAZY. No really, Stephanie Meyer. I LIKED Alice. I liked a few of the other "minor" characters stories. Mostly Alice. SO WHY THE FUCK DO YOUR PRIMARY CHARACTERS HAVE NOTHING GOING FOR THEM?

/rage.
  • Because she wants to write the main character as a Mary Sue so she or the reader can pretend it is them in their place. If you are a boring person who only cares about dating a hot guy, you will like the book. If you cannot understand the protagonist's boring obsession with a guy and think "if I was Bella, I would go have adventures or get them to turn me into a vampire so I could be a superhero!" then these books are not up your alley, perhaps.
  • Yes, my name is Twilight Sparkle. OMG, you are totally the first person to make a vampire joke! I'd like you to meet my friend Luke. He has never heard a Star Wars joke in his whole life.
    OH, I GET IT! "RYM" SOUNDS LIKE "RIM," WHICH IS WHY YOU SAID "RIM JOB." WHAT A CLEVER YOUNG MAN!
    Strawman: A straw man is a component of an argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position. To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by replacing it with a superficially similar yet unequivalent proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position.

• OH, I GET IT! "RYM" SOUNDS LIKE "RIM," WHICH IS WHY YOU SAID "RIM JOB." WHAT A CLEVER YOUNG MAN!
  • You guys do know that the werewolf guy literally falls in love with a newborn baby, right? The "holy shit I want to fuck that girl" kind of love.
  • edited December 2011
    That's really dumb and creepy and I would not want to date with a giant magical wolf who did that.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • That's really dumb and creepy and I would not want to date with a giant magical wolf who did that.
    Yeah, as narrative devices to force your protagonist into your selected relationship go, pedophilia is generally not the one you should go with.

• But it's okay because she matures REALLY fast right?
  • But it's okay because she matures REALLY fast right?
    Growth hormone nowadays..
  • I knew nothing about Twilight beyond sparkly vampires and milquetoast protagonist so when, over Thanksiving, my friend described the Jacob thing as "I'm gonna fuck that vampire baby" I laughed so hard I nearly kicked over the turkey fryer.
  • edited December 2011
    But it's okay because she matures REALLY fast right?
    Oh man, they address this in the creepiest way in the books - they note that he's lucky, because she matures fast, meanwhile there is another guy who is in love with a regular human 2 year old(and has been since she was born), and he has to wait all those years till they can have sex. And let's not even address the idea that while she physically and mentally(well, supposedly) matures really fast, she'll still be only a few years old when she's physically mature.

There is something drastically wrong with Ms Meyer. Even just typing that paragraph makes me want to go scrub my hands. With Lye. And that mad bint wrote three books worth of that tripe.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Today I plugged in an old hard drive, and there were very old photographs on it! OH NOES.