This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• edited November 2010
    I can't remember what thread it was from, but I've spoken of this ad before, and how Americans torched off that it's racist - it occured to me that I'd never actually linked it before, only described it.

Edit - And here's an example of the people I was speaking of - Getting offended and passing judgement about something they know nothing about, simply forming a snap judgement from their own predjudices.

I really hope nobody needs an explanation of the advertisement, but I can if it's necessary.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Background: Fugu is a Japanese delicacy made from the Pufferfish. It has to be prepared in a very precise and finicky way by a certified chef or else there will be too much poison in the meat and it'll kill whoever eats it.

Idea: As the final test to get the certification to prepare fugu, one must prepare a dish of fugu, and then eat it. If you survive, here's your license. If you die, well that's that isn't it?

As a further postulate, what if back when rulers had taste testers, what if instead of a designated patsy to test food, instead they had whoever prepared the meal test it for poison? Any would-be assassin might be a little hesitant to try poisoning food if they themselves had to eat it, and then are under strict watch in case they try and take an antidote.
  • What do the forumites -- especially those in the IT field -- think of search engine optimization companies? I am not asking about their efficacy; I'm asking about their viability in the marketplace and the longevity such companies might have. I may have the opportunity to go to work for one as a copywriter, which would probably be a big step up in terms of pay scale. It would mean a much longer commute. It would also mean a much more stable schedule. I don't want it to mean a risk. Thoughts?
    I am a couple of days late here on the brief anti-SEO discussion, but I work for a web company that does tons of SEO. Scott is right, its very shady, and I know this from first hand experience. I am so tired of my boss telling me to take an axe to my beautiful code to make it SEO friendly. X_X I could go on and on about it but I will spare you.

But seriously, people pay big bucks for SEO. It is something that almost every client we have asks for when we make their sites. If the company you are looking at appears to be legitimate, go for it! Beware that SEO copy is awful and makes no sense from a reading standpoint, so you might hate it after awhile. :P
  • Xanderese and Korean American are the current trending topics on Twitter but the most of the posts are people wondering how they ended up trending and what they mean.
    It seems the new method for midnight trends is to post something that makes so little sense that the sheer number of people posting to try and find out what the trend is will push it to the top.
  • I made an about.me page. It's all about me. I'm not sure what I'm meant to do with it now. http://about.me/lukeburrage
  • I really like that picture, Luke.
  • I really like that picture, Luke.
    Cheers! I'm very proud of it.
  • I need to drink more fluids. My feet are killing me.
  • I am tempted to learn Afrikaans.
  • QC & PVP have been quite interesting lately. It has me anticipating the next day more-so than usual.
  • Dear FRC Forums,

Stop making the school 'net consider you a security threat. It is annoying.

Love,
    Joshua
  • Shouldn't you be addressing your school net instead?

The government does not find it as threat, yet. Never, hopefully.
  • Shouldn't you be addressing your school net instead?
    nah, then I'd have to admit I'm on here during school. :P
  • edited November 2010
    Dear FRC Forums,

Love,
    Joshua
    Tunnel your HTTP traffic through SSH?
    May or may not work - my school required using their proxy to get outside their network..
    Post edited by Wolfin on
  • Anyone who drives behind me is automatically an asshole.
  • edited November 2010
    Anyone who drives behind me is automatically an asshole.
    Anyone that walks in front of me is automatically a "damn tourist."
    Post edited by ladyobsolete on
  • I'm pretty sure that Cloud's Omnislash is pretty much the same actions as Sephiroth's Octaslash.
  • Dear FRC Forums,

Love,
    Joshua
    Tunnel your HTTP traffic through SSH?
    May or may not work - my school required using their proxy to get outside their network..
    Its really not that big of a deal. It only happens on very few occasions.
  • Its really not that big of a deal. It only happens on very few occasions.
    It's probably an automatic thing, like when somebody swears or whatever.
  • Its really not that big of a deal. It only happens on very few occasions.
    It's probably an automatic thing, like when somebody swears or whatever.
    I guess that could be it. I think it's a problem with the blocking, as the most random sites get blocked for that, then when you refresh the page it's fine.
  • When I was in high school I definitely did not know of any way of getting around the filter.
  • I know you all are not my personal army, but will these all work properly on iPods?
  • lolwut? Filters on an iPod? Or are you connecting to your school's WLAN? If it's the latter, find a wireless VLAN program and tunnel to a desktop at a remote location.
  • lolwut? Filters on an iPod? Or are you connecting to your school's WLAN? If it's the latter, find a wireless VLAN program and tunnel to a desktop at a remote location.
    I'm sorry, it's the easiest way to sneak onto the forums! And in the end, it doesn't matter, as this site isn't blocked. :P
  • I hope I messed up a PandA person's day by sending them a closed, empty box.
    P and A?
    P and A?
    The next step in my department. They seal the boxes and then a machine stamps a UPS label on them. If the scanner doesn't read the barcode on the side then a "No Read" label is put on the box.
  • P and A?
    Apparently, Postage and Assholes. They had to combine the two departments to cut costs.
  • WTF Dora?! Poor Marten. That last panel brought back personal memories. The look on his face is painful.