This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• Eat marmite you heathens.
  • I haven't tried the cherry ripes yet, but most of the stuff I've tried simply has too much malt. Like, everything has malt or barley in it. What the hell.

I believe, after further examination, that the entire nation of Australia may not be to blame for the horror that is Vegemite and the candy I received. I'm willing to say that the blame lies squarely with the person who sent me the candies, as well as with American candy companies due to their overuse of sugar.
  • I haven't tried the cherry ripes yet, but most of the stuff I've tried simply has too much malt. Like, everything has malt or barley in it. What the hell.

I believe, after further examination, that the entire nation of Australia may not be to blame for the horror that is Vegemite and the candy I received. I'm willing to say that the blame lies squarely with the person who sent me the candies, as well as with American candy companies due to their overuse of sugar.
    Unless you're drinking the beer, I don't know what you mean. It might be because most australian produced candies don't use HFCS, they use Cane sugar - it's cheap and plentiful down here - and that makes for a different taste.

No idea what stuff you're having, though, so it might still be the stuff you're having. Vegimite is fine, you just have to use it carefully when you're not used to it. It took joe a little while to warm up to it, too, but nowdays...well, the last time I spoke, he was licking it off the knife after he put it on his bread.

• I love days where I have a clear goal and I can work towards solving it, preferably by writing code. I hate days where I have a rather nebulous goal and it's not clear at all what I should be doing to solve it, and there's a 50% chance any code I write will actually be useless.
  • If I were the Vice President in Air Force One I'd order more attacks on the plane once the hijackers were in control. Its not enough to just have a hard line stance of not negotiating with terrorists, you have to also show them you're crazy enough not to care about their hostages.

Sure it'd be a national tragedy to lose so many members of the government, but America always comes back stronger.
  • I still have friends from high school. That is either so rad or so sad.
    Rad. One of my best friends was a friend of mine from elementary school.
    Rad. One of my best friends was a friend of mine from elementary school.
    My ex-roommate and driver is a friend since the first grade.

• Max Planck also waited for the old people to die.

Oh, that's good. I like that.
    Fire Red was released in 2004, you sick fuck.

One of my best friends is from kindergarten. Mrs. Apgar's class represent!

What? No, surely Pokemon Red came out in like 1992 or *looks up wikipedia article for Pokemon Red*

1996? No... that can't be right. I remember when that game came out. I was just a little kid... I was...

Oh god. That was 16 years ago. HOW WAS THAT 16 YEARS AGO?!
    Still, I doubt anyone under the age of two played Pokemon Red on the release day. The metric is still valid.
    What? No, surely Pokemon Red came out in like 1992 or *looks up wikipedia article for Pokemon Red*

1996? No... that can't be right. I remember when that game came out. I was just a little kid... I was...

Oh god. That was 16 years ago. HOW WAS THAT 16 YEARS AGO?!
    Still, I doubt anyone under the age of two played Pokemon Red on the release day. The metric is still valid.
    He's talking about Pokemon Fire Red, not Pokemon Red. Fire Red and Leaf Green were GBA re-releases of the original GB games. It's possible that someone who played those games first in 2004 had Squirtle, Charmander, and Bulbasaur starters but is very underage.
  • edited March 2012
    I still have friends from high school. That is either so rad or so sad.
    One of my best friends is from 3rd Grade. Back then, we bonded over N64 games, role-playing geekery, and general smart kid nerdiness.

Now, we bond over old SNES games, game theory, and the use of knot theory as it applies to DNA topology and mathematics. I suppose not much has changed.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on

I think I may know her!

• When I was young and first heard the word apiary, it evoked images of a farm where gorillas and chimps swung from trees.
    Two of my best friends to this day are from high school. One of them I still hang out with and talk to regularly, the other I just saw last night for the first time in over a year, but that still two more friends I have from high school that I don't have from college.
  • The guy in the next cube over went to R.I.T.
  • Most of the techie places I've worked have someone from RIT. I never knew it was such a popular school. (A few weeks ago, I actually saw a random dude wearing an RIT tshirt in Brooklyn)
  • I work with many RIT people. Our programming team? All RIT. (Except one, who is also art team and various other assorted teams.)
  • I'm gonna Allegheny a ferret.
  • I work with many RIT people. Our programming team? All RIT. (Except one, who is also art team and various other assorted teams.)
    That's pretty great. Our undergrad Game Design is 6th best in America, Graduate is number 1 (I think).

That's pretty great. Our undergrad Game Design is 6th best in America, Graduate is number 1 (I think).
    Graduate is 2nd to University of Southern California.

http://kotaku.com/5890023/top-colleges-for-game-design-in-north-america
  • Oddly enough, I never met anyone from RIT where I worked (all tech jobs) until my current job. Then again, it may also be because I never really paid attention to RIT alumni until after I met Rym and Scott.

They are all RIT CS, which seems to be an awesome program.

• There are graduate programs in Game Design? I feel like graduates should fall into one of the related fields for grad school.

RIT CS is awesome if you want to graduate with a BS and immediately go into industry. That's not what I want to do, though.
  • Whenever I hear that awful "Rack City" rap song playing, I secretly want them to be talking about Raccoon City, and for the song to somehow be related to Resident Evil.
  • There are graduate programs in Game Design? I feel like graduates should fall into one of the related fields for grad school.

RIT CS is awesome if you want to graduate with a BS and immediately go into industry. That's not what I want to do, though.
    Actually, the Graduate in Game Design makes more sense than the Undergraduate. Learn code, then specialize. The undergrad program is really for those of us who can't afford Grad school.

• Word of advice: Never go to grad school unless you get someone to pay your tuition for you.
  • edited March 2012
    There are graduate programs in Game Design? I feel like graduates should fall into one of the related fields for grad school.

Actually, the Graduate in Game Design makes more sense than the Undergraduate. Learn code, then specialize. The undergrad program is really for those of us who can't afford Grad school.

Both our designers graduated from a grad program. It's nice to have a specialty before you learn the game stuff.
    Post edited by gomidog on