This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• There are worse things they could pretend to be. Apparently there are high schools in Florida (but not in The South) where pretending to be a redneck is fashionable. Driving unnecessary trucks, affecting horrible speech patterns, wearing flannel, etc. I cannot wrap my head around why someone would possible want to do that.
    That happens in Georgia too.
  • There are worse things they could pretend to be. Apparently there are high schools in Florida (but not in The South) where pretending to be a redneck is fashionable. Driving unnecessary trucks, affecting horrible speech patterns, wearing flannel, etc. I cannot wrap my head around why someone would possible want to do that.
    Not just limited to High School either. There are a lot of people who want to be a redneck down here.
    Hey, don't be dissing flannel. That is a damn comfortable fabric.

• edited March 2012
    There are worse things they could pretend to be. Apparently there are high schools in Florida (but not in The South) where pretending to be a redneck is fashionable. Driving unnecessary trucks, affecting horrible speech patterns, wearing flannel, etc. I cannot wrap my head around why someone would possible want to do that.
    Not just limited to High School either. There are a lot of people who want to be a redneck down here.
    I look at my truck... image
    ...and start to wonder if I'm being indicted...
    Post edited by Anrild on
    Not limited to the South either. I've seen ridiculously huge pickups with Confederate flags up here in Massachusetts too. These aren't visitors either -- these trucks have Massachusetts plates as well.

Granted, there was this one dude who drove a (as far as I can tell based on the quick look I got) perfect reproduction of the General Lee from Dukes of Hazzard. That was awesome.
  • Anrild, unless that's one of many vehicles sitting in shambles on your lawn, you're not. I just can't believe that redneck is fashionable. Dukes of Hazzard, sure, but your general, run-of-the-mill Billy Joe is not something to be emulated.
  • I just finished Enslaved 40 minutes after I started. Monkey killed Trip, then died at the hands of the slave head-band.
  • edited March 2012
    Anrild, unless that's one of many vehicles sitting in shambles on your lawn, you're not.
    Well. Uh.
    Oops?

...to be fair though, it was my grandfather's when he ran a main-street small town Furniture and Appliance store. It was his delivery truck, and it's probably the only thing he really has left over from the business. My dad and I are (slowly) working to fix it up so one day I can have it repainted like it was in it's prime, furniture store ads and everything.

The other shambled lawn-vehicle is the Volkswagen beetle that belongs to my dad, and it would break his heart to not repair it or replace it someday. Apparently it holds great family memories for him.

Though I don't strive to be a redneck, my family just kind of inherently is.
    Post edited by Anrild on
  • Man, faux nerd girls really bug me, in a possibly irrational way. Like, there are some really legitimately nerdy cool girls, nobody's denying that. I'm not talking about them. But the totally obvious name-dropping of Reddit and Team Fortress 2 does not impress me, nor does it make me want to give you attention. I find it really condescending.

I guess weird patterns like this emerge when you have a skewed gender ratio.
    For a split second I read your post, remembered my avatar, and thought you were talking about me.
  • Man, faux nerd girls really bug me, in a possibly irrational way. Like, there are some really legitimately nerdy cool girls, nobody's denying that. I'm not talking about them. But the totally obvious name-dropping of Reddit and Team Fortress 2 does not impress me, nor does it make me want to give you attention. I find it really condescending.

You realize you're just way more into these things than most people. Like for me there are lots of "car people" but very few that can discuss the merits of different camshafts in a small block chevy with me.
  • Check out this thing, it's really clever!

http://t.co/5ZDlI3S8

The idea is that everyone joins. Then each day one of the people who has joined is the winner. Everyone in the game automatically follows the winner on Twitter. So for winning you get a bunch of followers for just one day. The next day everyone unfollows you and follows the new winner.
  • Name dropping social currency is standard practice for people who don't know any better ways to break into a group or start a conversation. I don;t think it makes you fake unless that's ALL you do, which gets really annoying and makes everyone want to avoid you.
  • Name dropping social currency is standard practice for people who don't know any better ways to break into a group or start a conversation. I don;t think it makes you fake unless that's ALL you do, which gets really annoying and makes everyone want to avoid you.
    TRUE THIS.

• Nuri, the logic dropper. :P

You realize you're just way more into these things than most people. Like for me there are lots of "car people" but very few that can discuss the merits of different camshafts in a small block chevy with me.
    I think that's the difference between "car person" and "car nerd."

I know a lot about heavy metal music. I talk to lots of people about heavy metal music. There are like 3 people on earth with whom I can discuss the intricacies of the composition of a particular passage in a Deathspell Omega song.

Doesn't make the "metal people" any less genuine. It just means that their interest only extends so far.

That said, there are also plenty of poseurs in any subculture. And yes, it's irritating as crap when you run into someone who is very obviously fake. Part of the reason we engage in this subculture building is that we're looking for people who are genuine, people with whom we share a true connection.

Someone who is disingenuine in their interest is like getting a bunch of apples, and running into the one with a worm in it. It ruins your perception of all the apples.
  • Check out this thing, it's really clever!

http://t.co/5ZDlI3S8

The idea is that everyone joins. Then each day one of the people who has joined is the winner. Everyone in the game automatically follows the winner on Twitter. So for winning you get a bunch of followers for just one day. The next day everyone unfollows you and follows the new winner.
    Doing this. It costs me nothing and potential shameless self-promotion to a large group of people would be pretty awesome considering my eventual goal to create an internet media brand out of myself and be a cartoonist and shit.
  • Space opera where the moral is "Whatever you do, you'll never be the king of space."
  • Pete, I think that's the difference between "metal person" and "metal nerd." ~_^
  • Pete, I think that's the difference between "metal person" and "metal nerd." ~_^
    That was the point of my comment, yes. Good job George! You get a cookie!

• I re-iterate: It's not up to you to decide whether someone is a "fake" member of a subculture or not. Membership is up to that person - if they identify as a member of a subculture, they get to be a member of that subculture. You can think what you want about them, but trying to strip them of that identity is wrong.

I'm sure none of you are actually trying to be exclusionary, I just want to make sure everybody understands that point.
    Also, calling people "fake" feeds into my irritation with people's obsession over fairly arbitrary standards of "authenticity."
    That was the point of my comment, yes. Good job George! You get a cookie!
    WOOOOOT!!! COOKIE!!! ^_^
  • edited March 2012
    You can think what you want about them, but trying to strip them of that identity is wrong.
    So you mean that if I identify as a member of a subculture, and try to act like it, and I'm actively excluded by the members of that subculture, I'm still a part of it?

Trying to "fit in" is certainly a complex issue, but all subcultures have to be exclusionary to some extent, and that means telling some people that they're not welcome sometimes.

We can talk about how and why people excluded or included, though. That's a solid topic for discussion.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I re-iterate: It's not up to you to decide whether someone is a "fake" member of a subculture or not. Membership is up to that person - if they identify as a member of a subculture, they get to be a member of that subculture. You can think what you want about them, but trying to strip them of that identity is wrong.

I'm sure none of you are actually trying to be exclusionary, I just want to make sure everybody understands that point.
    Also, calling people "fake" feeds into my irritation with people's obsession over fairly arbitrary standards of "authenticity."
    This this this this this! If you really have to call somebody out, call them out on what they do, not who they are.

• edited March 2012
    What about someone who is genuinely faking interest in a thing?

If I dressed up for it and pretended to be a _______ when I do not truly self-identify as a _______, but I do publicly identify myself as a _______ then am I not a fake?
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • edited March 2012
    The question there is why are you faking?
    Post edited by George Patches on

• edited March 2012
    The question there is why are you faking?
    To undermine the groups agenda.
    To study or observe different circumstances.
    To be in the right place at the right time.
    To learn about the culture.
    To be around people of a demographic I otherwise identify with or have interest in.
    To get laid.
    To poison the water supply.
    To get free stuff.
    To make money.
    To learn from my enemies.
    To cast open the gates of hell.
    To bring the ring to Mordor.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • To be a member of a group, it must be mutual. You must feel a part of the group, and the group must accept you as a part of itself. If the group doesn't want you, then you are a parasite, not a member. If you don't want the group, then you are a captive.
  • A friend of mine recently said, in complete sincerity from his current perspective, "Most Christians are not real Christians, they're just Baptists that don't follow everything in the bible."

I felt sadface.

This this this this this! If you really have to call somebody out, call them out on what they do, not who they are.

Uh....so if I call someone out on WHAT THEY DO, and how it conflicts with WHAT THEY CLAIM THEY ARE, how is it different than saying someone is "fake?"

Or are you really just calling for people to qualify and justify their accusations of being fake? Because that's what we should be doing, I agree.