This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• edited March 2012
    Note to self. If I ever become king, never get on a boat.
    Well, it's only for matters on board that vessel. If you wanted to, say, discipline one of the sailors, you couldn't do that on board the vessel without the captain's permission, nor would he have the ability to command you in matters that do not pertain to operations or matters on board the ship. You could, however, pass on down the order for the captain to perform certain general actions - TL:DR, you couldn't give the order to fire the cannons, but you could order the captain to go attack those dudes over there, or to take the ship to Aruba for ale and whores.

Also, I assume that as king, you'd have the ability to assume direct command of the vessel anyway, thus temporarily becoming the sea captain of that vessel, and eliminating the problem, if you really saw it as a problem, which is unlikely - after all, you're a King, not a Captain in the navy! Your job is much more broad and lofty, you're the big picture guy, not the guy ordering people about in the small picture of one vessel! Delegation, my friend, is key. Leave that job to the guy who was put in place because he's good at it.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Note to self. If I ever become king, never get on a boat.
    Why would you? You have people for that. You need to sit on your gift-throne and party in your meadhall. Just watch out for trolls.

• But, as I am aboard the vessel, couldn't he order me flogged for breaking the rules, etc.?
  • edited March 2012
    But, as I am aboard the vessel, couldn't he order me flogged for breaking the rules, etc.?
    Technically yes, but if you're the king, I doubt he'd do so. After all, he can have you flogged, but the second he hits port, you can have him hanged. You can also remove him from command at pretty much any moment of your choosing, so he can order you flogged, and you can simply assume command and rescind that order, if there is a man that dare risk the repercussions of flogging the king.

Basically, he has greater power on board the vessel, but he's automatically limited by the fact that you have orders of magnitude more power everywhere else.

Think of it this way - if you're the Captain, would you want to be the guy who had the king flogged for breaking the rules?

Also, I'd assume that being the king would afford you leeway and privileges on board any vessel in your navy - you wouldn't just be some shit-kicking ensign, just because you stepped on board the ship, you're still the king, even if you don't command that vessel.
    I mean, seriously, there are probably things you could do to get flogged - for an example, stealing from a member of the crew - but why would you? You're the king, if you want the guy's shit, just ask, he'd probably give it to you.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I love this forum. You can go from Trek to naval protocol in three posts.
  • Note to self. If I ever become king, never get on a boat.
    Why would you? You have people for that. You need to sit on your gift-throne and party in your meadhall. Just watch out for trolls.

I like being on boats sometimes.
  • Oh, comics.
  • Scott being Scott
  • Wow. That's actually perfect.
  • edited March 2012
    To be fair, from Scott's perspective, he's trying to stop you from eating a sandwich full of poop. It's just that sometimes he doesn't realize that it's actually just full of delicious Nutella, rather than poop. Or maybe a better analogy would be that he's knocking a peanut butter sandwich out of your hands, because he's allergic to peanuts, because he doesn't realize that not everyone is violently allergic to peanuts.

(And yes, I don't think Scott is actually allergic to peanuts, it's just an analogy.)
    Post edited by Churba on
  • To be fair, from Scott's perspective, he's trying to stop you from eating a sandwich full of poop. It's just that sometimes he doesn't realize that it's actually just full of delicious Nutella, rather than poop.
    Nutella is poop.
  • To be fair, from Scott's perspective, he's trying to stop you from eating a sandwich full of poop. It's just that sometimes he doesn't realize that it's actually just full of delicious Nutella, rather than poop.
    Nutella is poop.

... ... ...

Can someone explain to me why I try to defend this guy sometimes?

• edited March 2012
    Can someone explain to me why I try to defend this guy sometimes?
    Scott is cool at times. I watched Ip Man with him one time and didn't once feel the urge to murder him.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited March 2012
    Scott is cool at times. I watched Ip Man with him one time and didn't once feel the urge to murder him.
    Yeah, I know, I'm half-joking. As much as I give him shit, I'll go to bat for him, I'll still speak for him as a top bloke. He shits me off sometimes, but he's still a mate. I'd break bread with the dude.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Scott, make this your avatar. It's too awesome not to.

Nutella is poop.
    You are not human.

• To be a member of a group, it must be mutual. You must feel a part of the group, and the group must accept you as a part of itself. If the group doesn't want you, then you are a parasite, not a member. If you don't want the group, then you are a captive.
    Andrew Rubin?
  • To be a member of a group, it must be mutual. You must feel a part of the group, and the group must accept you as a part of itself. If the group doesn't want you, then you are a parasite, not a member. If you don't want the group, then you are a captive.
    Andrew Rubin?
    Nah, he has a point, in many cases, at least. There are groups where that applies, and I'd say that the larger geek culture is one of them. It's a matter of posers VS people who are actually in a subculture, just as it's been with many, many subcultures over time, it's just that for some reason, few people are using that particular word.
  • It's more due to the speech pattern.
  • In New York City, 1.1 million people ride the subway every day. Today, I was 3 of them.
  • edited March 2012
    I just...what.

Post edited by Churba on
  • edited March 2012
    You KNOW Spider-Man is a Mets fan. Fuck the Yanks!

He got married at Shea Stadium.

Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited March 2012
    Holy fuck, seeing a middle-aged Stan Lee is surreal.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited March 2012
    Recounting the anecdote about sea captains having ultimate authority to my boss, I had the mental image of President Obama on a ship underway about to touch something and the sea captain swatting his hand away, like mothers do to ADD and/or curious children.

It made me titter.
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • There are like 3 people on earth with whom I can discuss the intricacies of the composition of a particular passage in a Deathspell Omega song.
    The Bataille references in "A Chore for the Lost" are especially powerful. The utilization of Bataille's concept of the Extreme Limit as a metaphor for the end goal of both Bataille's existential sensibilies as well as te end goal of the Satanism that DsO wishes to promote is pretty powerful, as is its usage to excoriate the nature of organized religion.

• edited March 2012
    There are like 3 people on earth with whom I can discuss the intricacies of the composition of a particular passage in a Deathspell Omega song.
    The Bataille references in "A Chore for the Lost" are especially powerful. The utilization of Bataille's concept of the Extreme Limit as a metaphor for the end goal of both Bataille's existential sensibilies as well as te end goal of the Satanism that DsO wishes to promote is pretty powerful, as is its usage to excoriate the nature of organized religion.

And this metaphor is reinforced by the particular sense of urgency in this song. It still contains some of the sinister, disquieting elements of other pieces, but its primary focus seems to be on a duality, or contrast, or a deep and torturous struggle - it transitions from a quiet introductory passage, to a thunderous blasting cacophony, back to a quiet brooding or contemplative passage, and again launches into a roar before leaving us with a grand harmonic exit. And then...quiet. A peaceful and graceful exit.

It perfectly mirrors the struggle of a being coming to grips with those existential sensibilities, and then finally embracing the quiet. At first he struggles with it, but in a moment has an epiphany, and his realizations roar to the forefront of his mind. This brings a sort of blissful quiet as he realizes the monster he has become, and accepts his transition.

Masterful. Beautiful. Disturbing.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • What I want to know is why the scientist was building a brick wall after school. Also why the wall exploded.
  • What I want to know is why the scientist was building a brick wall after school. Also why the wall exploded.
    I personally want to know what the hell that wall was made of that activated a mutation. The chemicals used in those days may have been far worse than I thought.
  • edited March 2012
    I can tell you exactly what caused it. Magic.

Post edited by Apreche on