This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• edited May 2012
    $10k to live in a mead hall in New York forever is perhaps too good a deal.

I will literally make that down payment and move cross country to mooch mead and roast hog till I actually pass on to Valhalla.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • You see, Pete? Maybe like, ten days, unlimited service.
  • Minimum investment to be "set for life" should be ~50% more than the expected amount of wealth required to live off the interest indefinitely.
  • edited May 2012
    I will literally make that down payment and move cross country to mooch mead and roast hog till I actually pass on to Valhalla.
    Surely that would kill you reasonably quickly, though.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I will literally make that down payment and move cross country to mooch mead and roast hog till I actually pass on to Valhalla.
    Surely that would kill you reasonably quickly, though.

If the food and drink doesn't, waking up every morning to go practice for Ragnarok probably will...

• Between this, the 8-bit bar, the Lovecraftian B&B, etc... Geek Bars might be the trend of the next 10 years.
  • "For life" promises are dangerous, but I can't see many people pledging at $10k+.

Mite b cool to give the Anglo-Saxon meadhall the industrial facelift (hewn timbers mixed with exposed steel girders, flagstone hearth) and put it in a building in the city. That's not all that far away from what BrewDog does with their pubs here, and you draw in the "I really love exposed brick" crowd.
    Maybe, but I'm also digging the idea of a pure timber-framed structure. Do it up old-school. Build it out in the country. People will have to make a pilgrimage to get there.

And yeah, I just threw a number out there. Realistically, there'd be no "lodging for life" - just free food and drink every time you visit. That's probably a lot more reasonable. It's basically buying your way into being my friend.

The hearth would probably need to be stone anyhow, for building codes. I doubt I could swing "Yeah, I've got this raised firepit surrounded by wood."

The primary reason to put this in the country, though, is for the efficiency of the business model it would afford, and the ability to combine it with dwelling space.

We could build a geek farm.
  • edited May 2012
    Oh, I haven't told you guys about the Tyche Club. From the original conversation that spawned the idea:

"I feel like starting a game society called the Tyche Club, sort of like Mycroft Holmes's Diogenes Club, but for board and pen/paper games. There'd be a review process. You could smoke your pipe on the premises, and you wouldn't be admitted to the Game Rooms without proper attire. There'd be a bar with fifty different types of bourbon at the front."
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I would love to go a week without the feeling of my stomach curling in on itself.
  • What I want to set up, though it has obvious legal ramifications, is a networked system at an appropriate venue so that people can show up, grab a wireless controller, and play emulated or virtual-machine ran games on any of the monitors in the establishment.
  • They did that in the Museum of Science And Industry in Chicago in conjunction with an exhibit on video game history. I'm sure you'd be fine.
  • What I want to set up, though it has obvious legal ramifications, is a networked system at an appropriate venue so that people can show up, grab a wireless controller, and play emulated or virtual-machine ran games on any of the monitors in the establishment.
    That is a good idea since you make money just renting out the special controllers, like a skating rink rents out skates. However, it will be problematic because connecting controllers to different systems is a pain. Bluetooth and RF have lengthy and finnicky sync-patterns. You will need to come up with some system that will be more expensive to develop than it is worth. A wired system would actually be easier.

• I wouldn't have the games hooked up to different systems. There would be one single server (or server cluster for redundancy) that runs all the systems on virtual machines or emulators. That's where the legal problem would come in. I don't have an xbox, I have a virtual machine running an emulator of an xbox.
  • The student records have value simply for being old and containing a lot of information. Many hundreds of thousands of documents are hard to digitalize you know. Merlins book I can assume isn't all that informative, because there would be copies if it was. Unless the book itself is enchanted with some sort of magic.
    IIRC, There is also something about the magic of Hogwarts that makes electronics not function correctly.

• Maybe, but I'm also digging the idea of a pure timber-framed structure. Do it up old-school. Build it out in the country. People will have to make a pilgrimage to get there.
    Um yeah, I know you have heard of fire codes... right?

You know, I have been looking for venues for an outdoor bonfire and mead hall style wedding. Howasbout we just buy some old farmland and fucking build OUR OWN VENUE?
  • Maybe, but I'm also digging the idea of a pure timber-framed structure. Do it up old-school. Build it out in the country. People will have to make a pilgrimage to get there.
    Um yeah, I know you have heard of fire codes... right?

You know, I have been looking for venues for an outdoor bonfire and mead hall style wedding. Howasbout we just buy some old farmland and fucking build OUR OWN VENUE?
    Costs money. But, y'know, we can get always get civilly married and have a ceremony when we can goddamn well afford it.

Fire codes do present a problem. Might have to go with a safer fire, instead of a real wood fire. Or surround the firepit with fire brick.

• edited May 2012
    I have land in the middle of nowhere Minnesota if that's of interest to people. About one mile from the nearest tiny lake. There is a cabin there, and it's over a hundred years old. Tornado destroyed everything around the place a couple years ago. I inspire most of my Call of Cthulhu games after that place and the surrounding towns.
  • Costs money. But, y'know, we can get always get civilly married and have a ceremony when we can goddamn well afford it.
    Getting married at this place costs money too. But holy fuck. Hey I know, let's Kickstart our wedding! It's more of a discrete project than half the shit on the site that they let through.

• The asshole upstairs keeps playing the same sixteen bars of a booming Captain-Nemo-style dirge on his keyboard (set, of course, to the shittiest organ patch imaginable). He occasionally takes a break to noodle on an Irish penny whistle. This has been going on for almost two hours.

My life has officially been reduced to the cruel punchline of a Kafka story. What the fuck have I done to deserve this?
  • I do not get Pottermore and don't think I want to.
  • I don't think there's much to get. It looks like the primary reward mechanism is essentially "achievement points". Find the hidden images for achievement points! Collect all the things for achievement points! Fight other people for achievement points! Spend all the monies!
  • I have land in the middle of nowhere Minnesota if that's of interest to people. About one mile from the nearest tiny lake. There is a cabin there, and it's over a hundred years old. Tornado destroyed everything around the place a couple years ago. I inspire most of my Call of Cthulhu games after that place and the surrounding towns.
    Will you invite me over?

• edited May 2012
    All are welcome, but be forwarned... there are things you don't disturb in rural northern Minnesota.
  • All are welcome, but be forwarned... there are things you don't disturb in rural northern Minnesota.
    Rural north Minnesotans? Bears?
  • I do not get Pottermore and don't think I want to.
    All I have heard is that it is an unremitting grindfest. Not my cup of tea.

• Rural north Minnesotans? Bears?
    There are some of those. And I wouldn't disturb them, generally.
  • The asshole upstairs keeps playing the same sixteen bars of a booming Captain-Nemo-style dirge on his keyboard (set, of course, to the shittiest organ patch imaginable). He occasionally takes a break to noodle on an Irish penny whistle. This has been going on for almost two hours.

My life has officially been reduced to the cruel punchline of a Kafka story. What the fuck have I done to deserve this?
    I was laughing at this for a while. I just imagine whoever it is thinking he's got some serious music shit going on.
  • I want my life to end like a Coen Brothers movie.
  • edited May 2012
    The asshole upstairs keeps playing the same sixteen bars of a booming Captain-Nemo-style dirge on his keyboard (set, of course, to the shittiest organ patch imaginable). He occasionally takes a break to noodle on an Irish penny whistle. This has been going on for almost two hours.

I was laughing at this for a while. I just imagine whoever it is thinking he's got some serious music shit going on.
    This is the same asshole who plays ENDLESS arpeggios over Katy Perry, One Direction, Celine Dion, and other club shit at 10am on a Saturday. It's enough to make a guy want to take a warm shower and open a fucking vein.

He once improvised a 30-minute sax riff over R. Kelly's "Ignition Remix" on repeat. I SHIT YOU NOT.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I want my life to end like a Coen Brothers movie.
    I rather just have the awesome dialogue powers of the Coens.