This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• I still don't understand the people who are mad that their country is too liberal and want to leave. Usually it is the other way around.

Conservative Bronies, man.
    You are channeling my exact thoughts today.

• Conservative Bronies, man.
    Without an example I'd never have believed they exist.

• Hey, it's cool. The man is learning a bit more every day. Maybe he'll go to college, realize the USA is great, and just buy a vacation flat in Shinjuku.
  • Conservative Bronies, man.
    Is that a thing?
  • edited November 2012
    Conservative Bronies, man.
    Is that a thing?
    Also visible: why trilby/fedora/whatevers are HORRIBLE.
    Post edited by SquadronROE on
  • Some counties have coroners have an elected position.
    I think that's a good thing. The main issue I see is that the people running should have medical certifications to even be eligible to run for it.

I recall this old NPR article about coroners. Coroners Don't Need Degrees To Determine Death.
  • That's a made up profile. Come the fuck on.
  • That's a made up profile. Come the fuck on.
    Possibly but it is also the funniest.

• edited November 2012
    Hey, it's cool. The man is learning a bit more every day. Maybe he'll go to college, realize the USA is great, and just buy a vacation flat in Shinjuku.
    Yeah. I mean, as long as he studied and was truly into learning Japanese for reals, I think it would be great for him to study abroad. I just got irked that he somehow thought Japan was an "easy out" because he was all cranky that a liberal president was elected. Moving to Japan should not be this impulsive thing. It takes lots of study and commitment to be a foreign student or worker.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Apparently some counties require medical training, others don't. My teacher told me about it, said in her county only one person was running.
  • Yeah. I mean, as long as he studied and was truly into learning Japanese for reals, I think it would be great for him to study abroad. I just got irked that he somehow thought Japan was an "easy out" because he was all cranky that a liberal president was elected. Moving to Japan should not be this impulsive thing. It takes lots of study and commitment to be a foreign student or worker.
    Yeah, it erks me when anyone uses "I'm gonna move to " as a quick and easy out when something they don't like happens. People just don't understand the level of dedication it would take to do that.
  • edited November 2012
    To complicate things, I always heard 炊飯器 (suihanki - cooking rice machine) for rice cooker.
    ^ same
    In Japan?
    No here. I get a degree THEN I go to Japan.
    (ーー;)
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • edited November 2012
    Son, I am disappoint.

And how the fuck am I calling someone one year younger than me son?
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • You want horror?

http://www.facebook.com/ConservativeBronies
    The power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them... To tell deliberate lies while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then, when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just as long as it is needed, to deny the existence of objective reality and all the while to take account of the reality which one denies – all this is indispensably necessary. Even in using the word doublethink it is necessary to exercise doublethink. For by using the word one admits that one is tampering with reality; by a fresh act of doublethink one erases this knowledge; and so on indefinitely, with the lie always one leap ahead of the truth
  • Yeah. I mean, as long as he studied and was truly into learning Japanese for reals, I think it would be great for him to study abroad. I just got irked that he somehow thought Japan was an "easy out" because he was all cranky that a liberal president was elected. Moving to Japan should not be this impulsive thing. It takes lots of study and commitment to be a foreign student or worker.
    Yeah, it erks me when anyone uses "I'm gonna move to " as a quick and easy out when something they don't like happens. People just don't understand the level of dedication it would take to do that.
    I know. My parents moved to the US from Portugal. My sister just moved from the US to Ireland for some insane reason. I know quite well how difficult it can be. I mean, hell, I joke about moving to Canada or the EU (I'm eligible for dual citizenship with Portugal if I file the right papers with the consulate) or whatever if/when things really hit the fan here, but I feel (or at least I strongly hope) that things will never hit the fan so badly that it would be necessary -- and I pretty much say so outright when I make the joke. It's never something I'd seriously do because I do know how much of a pain in the ass it is. We'd have to be talking something approaching Mad Max to make me seriously consider changing countries at this point.
  • In Japan?
    No here. I get a degree THEN I go to Japan.
    (ーー;)
    Isn't that what you want? He'll be college-educated and fluent in Japanese and probably visaed like Rym is for India, provided he finds the right job. Most of the reason I haven't gone to Japan is that, although I know tons about the culture and politics, I don't speak the language and I won't expect the nation to speak English for me.

This way, Jack enters Japan with an educational background in a salable skill, as well as the culture and language of the nation. I feel like that's all a country can really ask for from anyone.

• Son, I am disappoint.

And how the fuck am I calling someone one year younger than me son?
    'Cause you got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one?

• edited November 2012
    I really like learning other languages and the challenge of living in other countries, but I also understand how hard it is day to day. I'd also be hard pressed to give up my American Citizenship. Despite everything, I really love this country, and I really love New York. It would have to be dang bad for us to bail, but if it started looking dangerous, bail we would.
    fluent in Japanese
    Sorry, but there is next to no way he would be fluent/native speaker level from studying at business school in America. However, proficient is enough. I went over the first time just able to manage day to day communication, and the rest comes quickly in an immersion situation. He just has to cope linguistically in the beginning.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • I just don't have the head for new language acquisition. I'm intensely jealous of people who do.
  • I really like learning other languages and the challenge of living in other countries, but I also understand how hard it is day to day. I'd also be hard pressed to give up my American Citizenship. Despite everything, I really love this country, and I really love New York. It would have to be dang bad for us to bail, but if it started looking dangerous, bail we would.
    Yeah if things got super bad I would just go live off the grid in France. It'd suck for awhile but I'd be able to live.

• No easy-to-obtain visa gives you the right to work in most any country.
  • I went to Paris France when I was in high school. I knew enough French to be dangerous, so the Parisians didn't look down on me. I fully intend to know Japanese before I go.
  • edited November 2012
    I didn't speak much French at all, and the Parisians never looked down on me when I was there over this past summer. The French tended to be monumentally nice people. I just really wanted to interact with them on a meaningful way and couldn't because of the language barrier.

I'd be able to pick up the language semi-quickly, as my wife is fluent and I'd be immersing myself in it. We've also already got a house over there that is paid for, so all we'd really have to do to make ends meet is make enough to buy food and pay property tax on the house (which is tiny).
    Post edited by SquadronROE on
  • I really like learning other languages and the challenge of living in other countries, but I also understand how hard it is day to day. I'd also be hard pressed to give up my American Citizenship. Despite everything, I really love this country, and I really love New York. It would have to be dang bad for us to bail, but if it started looking dangerous, bail we would.
    My feelings exactly (though substitute Boston/New England for New York).
  • No easy-to-obtain visa gives you the right to work in most any country.
    EU Citizenship, though.

Anyway, I know that. I've been through my fair share of border vetting. But, if you need to know the language and have a business degree to get the visa, that's not exactly easy-to-obtain.
  • Actually, the language requirement has to be the passing N1 exam to get preferential treatment. Just some college credits don't really boost you through immigration.
  • edited November 2012
    If he ever actually immerses in non-ex-pat culture, it will be a world of culture shock. Unless a lot changes, he's essentially going to be a eternal-foreigner. (I'm quite uncomfortable *actually saying this*.)
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • If he ever actually immerses in non-ex-pat culture, it will be a world of culture shock. Unless a lot changes, he's essentially going to be a eternal-foreigner.
    Yeah, but that's pretty standard for Japan. My Japanese Culture professor lived there for 20 years and raised his kids (by his Japanese wife, met in the student protests of the 60s) in the Japanese school system, and he is the first to admit that he was never accepted. He was a really cool guy.
    Actually, the language requirement has to be the passing N1 exam to get preferential treatment. Just some college credits don't really boost you through immigration.
    Still doable with a double-major, if you're dedicated.
  • He might really question his views, though. A dose of culture shock might be good for him. I think a lot of conservatives hold their views because they haven't been exposed to enough different people and cultures. Why do you think New York and major cities around the world tend to be progressive? It's because we all have to live with each other, even though we are different.