This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• Now see Mayor Bloomberg what happens when you ban drinks of more than 16oz in size?
  • For a time, you could get a virtual desktop enhancement from Microsoft's website for free. Most Windows users (home users) probably don't have a use for it. Besides, there are plenty of free third party utilities that do that, if you really want it.
    FWIW, their virtual desktop enhancements, in my experience, where always a bit clunky to use.
  • For a time, you could get a virtual desktop enhancement from Microsoft's website for free. Most Windows users (home users) probably don't have a use for it. Besides, there are plenty of free third party utilities that do that, if you really want it.
    FWIW, their virtual desktop enhancements, in my experience, where always a bit clunky to use.
    Yeah, that seems like something that has to be tightly integrated into the the OS/window manager or it won't work.
  • Tell your mom I left the money on her dresser.
  • Idea for handing out halloween candy tonight:

Sitting on my porch in my costume, with a cooler and a thing filled with candy. Give candy to the kids, a beer and red plastic cup to the adults.
  • Sexy Lincoln?
  • Today I learned that Mike from Slumberland Records listens to every demo he receives. Oops I just submitted a demo to Slumberland Records.
  • Today I learned that Mike from Slumberland Records listens to every demo he receives. Oops I just submitted a demo to Slumberland Records.
    Somebody is getting CHRIStFUCK in the mail...
  • Somebody is getting CHRIStFUCK in the mail...
    I would highly recommend sending that to Not Not Fun instead.
  • edited October 2012
    Somebody is getting CHRIStFUCK in the mail...
    I would highly recommend sending that to Not Not Fun instead.
    Not Not Fun would probably press it.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • This is happening.
  • And I know for a fact they listen to just about everything, especially if it's hand-made and sent through the mail.
  • I keep breaking the fuck out of my personal running records. I want to extend my range, but I keep just increasing my speed. CRAP.
  • I kind of want to move to Switzerland...
  • Holy shit, a kid in a Homestuck costume just showed up at our door.
  • edited November 2012
    [BALEETED]
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited November 2012
    Got to do some metalwork today, just on a whim. Simple grinding work, knocking the rust of my home-built barbecue, but it's still very nice and relaxing. I'm covered in a slurry of Rust, metal dust and sweat. I stink of heat and burning metal, and my hair is full of metal dust. I love it.

Also, catching up with Geeknights - In the Hardware sabotage episode, they talk about ring of fire. Yeah, that's real. When I spent more time in the country, we used to do that for fun, I'd do it for $200 bucks. It's grand fun! Then again, I was a young, stupid (halfway) country boy once, whereas I think you lads were only ever young and stupid.

Also, update on hwa-way, whom you mentioned in the episode - They've been banned from contributing to our National Broadband network, for the same hardware-security related reasons.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Last week we were all leaving the office on Friday. At the bottom of the elevator a co-worker realized he had forgotten his keys. I lent him my key to the office and left. He almost always gets to work before I do, so it would not be an issue.

Except that I am the only one in the office today because others still seem to be on hurrication. Other people in the office have the key, so it's not a big issue, but just a funny coincidence. Of course the one time I lend you my key there will be a giant storm that keeps you out of the office!
  • Pendleton Ward is the best person.

• son of a bitch. I just found out that I'm going to be losing 5 days off next year, because we're "simplifying" our PTO schedule.
  • Yep, we recently went through a similar "simplification" in which we basically lost all of our sick days and now have to use vacation time instead.
  • Yep, we recently went through a similar "simplification" in which we basically lost all of our sick days and now have to use vacation time instead.
    Were there any arguments that people used that made any difference to the "powers that be"? I mean, I get 25 days off total, which means I lose 3 sick days and 2 personal days. That's above industry standard, but I'm still upset because I'm losing time off. I feel like I don't have any recourse.
    Were there any arguments that people used that made any difference to the "powers that be"? I mean, I get 25 days off total, which means I lose 3 sick days and 2 personal days. That's above industry standard, but I'm still upset because I'm losing time off. I feel like I don't have any recourse.
    No, the only argument that would matter, in my opinion, would be to organize. Everyone here is too apathetic for that. There was a lot of grumbling and some very good counter arguments made (mostly to do with respect for the professionals that you have hired, and less to do with economics) but ultimately, employers don't actually give a fuck anymore as a group.
    No, the only argument that would matter, in my opinion, would be to organize. Everyone here is too apathetic for that. There was a lot of grumbling and some very good counter arguments made (mostly to do with respect for the professionals that you have hired, and less to do with economics) but ultimately, employers don't actually give a fuck anymore as a group.
    That's what I figured.

• Start putting unions signs on the lawn, but somewhere where the cameras don't see you.
  • Probably not. I've already got a few people looking for my resume though...
  • Brendon Urie from Panic at the Disco sounds exactly like Rym. It's getting distracting.
  • Starburns is the guy behind Moral Orel.
  • A damn red velvet ant ran across my hand while I was sitting at the computer. I thought it was a spider otherwise I would have flinched probably.