This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• Also notable, in the reports context it does consider "listening to music while doing your job" a type of multi-task. So they're going with the breadth of all possible interpretations.
  • Honey glazed ham fists mmmmmm
    Seriously, if I had ham fists, I would be an amputee within minutes and regret nothing.

• Honey glazed ham fists mmmmmm
    Seriously, if I had ham fists, I would be an amputee within minutes and regret nothing.

• I can no longer eat pork ham. This makes me sad.

On the other hand - lamb ham. Beef ham. Venison ham. Fuck you, I will eat ham again!

On the other hand - lamb ham. Beef ham. Venison ham. Fuck you, I will eat ham again!
    How can it be ham if it is not from a ham?

• Most interesting bit related to what I was saying about that paper is that last paragraph:
    A final limitation of the study involves our measure of multi-tasking ability. Although the OSPAN task has traditionally been used to measure working memory capacity it clearly meets the criteria for multi-tasking in that it involves multiple tasks characterized by distinct goals, stimuli, transformations, and response outputs. Nevertheless, the OSPAN task has not been psychometrically validated as a multi-tasking instrument. It is possible that a different ability-activity pattern might emerge with different measures of multi-tasking ability (or multi-tasking activity) and it remains for future research to determine if the current findings generalize to other measures of multi-tasking.
    That's the part I'm most curious about.

"Ham" is technically the cut, not the meat/preparation.

Interestingly, "bacon" doesn't have to mean the cured product. It's been used to refer to pork belly, backfat, and sometimes just a general synonym for "pig."

• I bought two chicken breasts the size of steaks last night for grilling. I can't help but be freaked out at how big these chickens must be...
  • For a while I tried to double my media consumption by listening to jazz albums while reading Infinite Jest. Sail thought that was bullshit, because you need to either actively listen or actively read, and doing both at once is impossible. He was right!
    What isn't bullshit is that it makes you look like a cool motherfucker while doing it.

• That got dirty in the middle.

"Ham" is technically the cut, not the meat/preparation.

Interestingly, "bacon" doesn't have to mean the cured product. It's been used to refer to pork belly, backfat, and sometimes just a general synonym for "pig."
    Also one of the many slang terms for police used in this country.

• edited January 2013
    For a while I tried to double my media consumption by listening to jazz albums while reading Infinite Jest. Sail thought that was bullshit, because you need to either actively listen or actively read, and doing both at once is impossible. He was right!
    What isn't bullshit is that it makes you look like a cool motherfucker while doing it.
    That's real life. Also, I really enjoy having music on in the background while I read, despite being unable to critically engage it; even if I'm not focused on it, music can still be soothing.

Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • For a while I tried to double my media consumption by listening to jazz albums while reading Infinite Jest. Sail thought that was bullshit, because you need to either actively listen or actively read, and doing both at once is impossible. He was right!
    That's real life. Also, I really enjoy having music on in the background while I read, despite being unable to critically engage it; even if I'm not focused on it, music can still be soothing.

Yes. The point is that if you listen to an album you have never heard before while you focus on another activity, you will fail if you are challenged to sing the songs afterwards.
  • Yes. The point is that if you listen to an album you have never heard before while you focus on another activity, you will fail if you are challenged to sing the songs afterwards.
    That specific position is not supported by the linked research or its sources. What it does support is that many people that think they can (multitask, or specifically score well on this OSPAN test) cannot.
  • Yes. The point is that if you listen to an album you have never heard before while you focus on another activity, you will fail if you are challenged to sing the songs afterwards.
    That specific position is not supported by the linked research or its sources. What it does support is that many people that think they can (multitask, or specifically score well on this OSPAN test) cannot.
    So you believe that people can do what Scott suggested?

• So you believe that people can do what Scott suggested?

It is likely the case that some people could do so better than others, similar to the OSPAN scores being used in the research. :P
    Considering that I would probably fail if were challenged to sing the songs even after listen where I only focused on the musics, that doesn't mean much for me.

• I'm assuming you would only task people with that challenge that could recite songs when it's their only focus.
  • Recall in general suffers. Humans can't pay actual attention to two things at the same time. We shift back and forth, like Windows 3.1.1 "multitasking" on a single core CPU. When your focus shifts to the song, you hear it and miss basically everything else. When your focus shifts to, say, driving, you lose track of the song whether you realize it or not.
  • edited January 2013
    Eh, recall split lobe experiment subjects. The human mind isn't completely linear or threaded in the sense of a cpu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpus_callosum
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • This got me reading some things, random link to something that sounds relevant and interesting:

http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Psychology/Cognitive/?view=usa&ci=9780195307696

I think I looked into this stuff at some point because of another NPR radio show where they talked about how your mind actually does take in information it isn't even conscious of and then brings it to the front when needed. Stuff like solving math problems when you weren't even tasked with solving them and didn't bother thinking about them due to distractions or some-such.

Another interesting bit was that "sleeping on it" or not consciously thinking about a problem for a while doesn't mean you're not processing that problem. Shit's complicated, and that's what makes it awesome.
  • They make adult sized Heelys.
  • Frankly, I don't need another inventive way to injure myself, I'm plenty good at doing that without expensive shoes.
  • Fucking hell, and I thought we were getting thrashed down here - They've just put out the call to evacuate North Bundaberg, because of large-scale flooding and danger from the storms.
  • So storms and flooding on top of record heat waves?
  • They make adult sized Heelys.
    Fuck Heelys. Soap Shoes are where it's at!
  • So storms and flooding on top of record heat waves?
    Yep. Fun times.

• I've decided - I can't stand the HAWPcast, or 90% of the stuff the Hey Ash crew do as an entity outside of HAWP itself. It's just a small, juicy, delicious core surrounded by a rock-hard crust of semi-intelligent rambling, Pure insult disguised as thoughtful critique, and post-hoc justifications for their opinions, constructed in such a manner that anyone who disagrees is automatically put down as being just too stupid and ignorant to understand. Then, thickly coat that with a Dense, rich fondant of smugness, layered on not with a cake knife, but a bricklayer's trowel.

I've stuck with it on and off, but I'm just sick of it. It's no longer worth cutting through the ever thickening outer layers of smug, self-assured pseudo-intellectual garbage just to get to the small and slowly shrinking center of excellent content.
  • I'm curious, what put you over the edge? I haven't listened to the new one because it seems like all they talk about is Django Unchained, which I haven't seen yet.
  • You can tell [Kids on the Slope] is set in the early 60s because of the music they're listening to, which is all Jazz from the 60s, and all the music is on vinyl.
    So for all we know, Kids on the Slope is set in my room.