This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• edited January 2013
    I guess I never assumed other people were Christians or religious in general...But maybe I did? I don't remember.

I guess like, my church always stressed that anyone in the room could be a first-time visitor, or that accepting Jesus was a big deal, so I knew that it was something you could choose not to do.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • I still love Geeknights for introducing me to the concept of atheism. That shit was life-changing.
    Come to think of it, Geeknights did that to me too. It might have been the first time I ever heard of people that don't believe in God.
    Thinking about, same for me too. Holy crap.
  • I still love Geeknights for introducing me to the concept of atheism. That shit was life-changing.
    Come to think of it, Geeknights did that to me too. It might have been the first time I ever heard of people that don't believe in God.
    Same for me as well.... I was what, 11 or 12 at the time? Shit was intense. But I really haven't stopped listening since. I really don't get tired of listening to GN surprisingly.

• Ten years out of highschool this year. Graduating class of 500+. There's a reunion, but it's being run by the same people that were running events when we graduated and I still get the same vibe that it's an event "for them" as opposed to "for everyone". I'm not going to take a trip and then spend money to hang out with people I barely knew then. I'd perhaps consider it differently if it was free or didn't require travel.
  • I feel silly admitting this, but Geeknights also helped persuade me to abandon my Christian upbringing.
  • GeoGeo
    edited January 2013
    People who aren't full of themselves are not the kind of people who are going to record themselves talking and put it up on the Internet.
    I make a podcast and I neither have an overly large ego nor am I full of myself, so I can't agree with that. I'm sure there are totally humble podcasters out there.
    You're pretty pretentious, though, that helps. I bet your podcast would suck if you weren't pretentious.
    Aren't all geeks to some extent pretentious by default? In my eyes, that sort of comes with the territory of being a geek.

Post edited by Geo on
  • edited January 2013
    Nah, that's bullshit. Most geeks are cultured, not pretentious. Walker is, I am, Rym and Scott are.

Pretentiousness implies a superiority gained by being aware of art, even if you don't actually understand it. It's pseudointellectual and lazy. Being cultured implies that you have developed an understanding of and an opinion about the works of art you consume, and are eager to pass your findings to others.

If you think you're better than someone else for watching X film or knowing about Y band, I seriously have zero time for you. Just like what you like and try to teach people about it!

Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited January 2013
    This definitely will sound strange, but I do feel like Rym and Scott are sometimes burdened with their vast intellect about things, that it frustrates how many things in life are backwards or ineffective. On most episodes, I hear them wanting to change or reinvent some cultural/technical/government standard, go into detail about the ramifications or possibilities of the change and they wish that they could change it. It makes me wonder what they'll do in 20-30 years.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • I hear them wanting to change or reinvent some cultural/technical/government standard, go into detail about the ramifications or possibilities of the change and they wish that they could change it. It makes me wonder what they'll do in 20-30 years.
    Keep in mind that they're shit-talkers ^_~
  • It makes me wonder what they'll do in 20-30 years.

• GeoGeo
    edited January 2013
    Nah, that's bullshit. Most geeks are cultured, not pretentious. Walker is, I am, Rym and Scott are.

Pretentiousness implies a superiority gained by being aware of art, even if you don't actually understand it. It's pseudointellectual and lazy. Being cultured implies that you have developed an understanding of and an opinion about the works of art you consume, and are eager to pass your findings to others.

If you think you're better than someone else for watching X film or knowing about Y band, I seriously have zero time for you. Just like what you like and try to teach people about it!
    I can agree with all that you said and I'll be using your well-said definition from now on. Teaching people by sharing the things I love is all that I do and they usually find it interesting to listen to. I was just positing positing a theory back there (one that I concede was way off)
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I listen to GN for board games and tech stuff even though I'm usually familiar with the tech stuff I will end up picking up one or two things. I love board games but don't really follow the culture. GN opinion on games is arrogant even though you consider it some form of being jaded or an understanding of something. For games I usually listen to Giant Bomb. Then for entertainment I listen to Fast Karate, for trivia I listen to Good Job Brain.
  • I kinda listen to Geeknights for gaming, but more about "what's interesting and new in Indie games?" or "What do the guys think about gaming theory in general?", and things like that, rather than about the general state of the current video gaming landscape. If you need to wonder why, Might I remind you of: "Nobody cared about THQ until they remembered the South Park game", or "Batman Arkham Asylum is just a shit bayonetta ripoff". Frankly, Scrym as a unit(as opposed to each of the pair individually) come across as pretty clueless when it comes to most modern mainstream games, and are not exactly that great with a lot of older games, either. Sure, put them up against your average consumer, and they'll thrash them tidily about some aspects of gaming, but put them up against, say, Jeff Gurstman or Arthur Gies(two name two of at least a half dozen others I can think of) on the topic of modern gaming, and it would just be an curb-stomp battle - and they wouldn't be the victors.

I'm on with Matatat, I think GN coverage falls prey to it's own arrogance and pretentiousness, and I'll add that it also seems to be a case of the Engineer problem.

I listen to a hell of a lot of podcasts, I must admit - For gaming, my choices are Rebel FM and Giantbomb. Rooster Teeth podcast is technically in the gaming category, but it's not a show about gaming, it's a show about getting 2-8 gamers who are employees of Rooster Teeth productions in a room, and then recording them while they talk shit.
  • RymRym
    edited January 2013
    If you need to wonder why, Might I remind you of: "Nobody cared about THQ until they remembered the South Park game", or "Batman Arkham Asylum is just a shit bayonetta ripoff". Frankly, Scrym as a unit(as opposed to each of the pair individually) come across as pretty clueless when it comes to most modern mainstream games, and are not exactly that great with a lot of older games, either.
    All Scott. I said nothing in the thread on THQ, nor do I share Scott's opinion on Arkham Asylum (which I own).

The show is almost entirely focused on short games and tabletop games currently, because they're the only ones we both play regularly in recent months.

Scott dumps his opinions on these things in the forum mostly, since due to time constraints we mostly talk tabletop on the actual show lately. But, suffice it to say, I have a much more nuanced opinion of most videogames, and I'm currently playing the shit out of Mark of the Ninja.

For example, I personally found Red Faction to be boring as all shit (not really my jam), but I can see why people enjoyed it. I definitely can't discount it as a game, nevermind a popular game. THQ was mismanaged, and had aging properties, nevermind probably smaller margins for their AAA games than, say, Valve.

Post edited by Rym on
  • edited January 2013
    I enjoyed Geeknights...when I was a highschooler.
    Hey, me too.
    I discovered Geeknights back in middle school but still enjoy it. Not a fanatic like I used to be, but I still listen to every episode within two or three weeks of when it comes out.

EDIT: derp, next page
    Double EDIT: really guys? Geeknights introduced you to atheism? Geeknights was part of what made me stop being atheist.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • edited January 2013
    I know - Thus why I said "Scrym as a unit", rather than "Rym and Scott", because while you are more knowledgeable about modern gaming than Scott, less prone to those sorts of mistakes does not mean you're immune to similar mistakes. I've certainly said "aw bullshit Rym, the fuck are you talking about?" to myself more than a few times. The reason I put you both in the same set for that one is quite simple - Geeknights is not Rym, Geeknights is not Scott, Geeknights is Rym and Scott together, at least at this point.

I'll be honest, the only reason I get more annoyed with Scott when he does shit like that is mostly because he makes the exact same mistake over and over and over again. If it was just the first few times, then whatever, but the dude's been told more than once, and he's not stupid - he should know better by now.

Now, it's also these gaps in your knowledge that are often forgiveable - Both of you have a fair bit on your plates, and you don't always get the chance to play as much as you'd like. Nor is everything within your tastes - again, forgiveable. But it's when you arrive at points like "I'm ignorant of this game because I refuse to play anything but (Games X and Y)" or when judgement is passed upon a game that you simply haven't played and don't know much about. I don't hold it against either of you if you say "Well, I've heard this, but I've not played it, so grain of salt..." or whatever other variant of "I don't know" you feel appropriate at the time. It's cases of "I don't really know about this, but I'm going to pontificate on it or pass judgement anyway" that give me the shits.

I'll give you credit - you guys have taught me a lot about gaming, and it's the sort of stuff that I'm not getting anywhere else, despite my vast intake of gaming related media and reportage. But I also go to you guys and, say, Giant Bomb for really quite different things.

Also, Mark of the Ninja, totally sweet. If you get the time, check out "Stealth Bastard: Tactical espionage arsehole" sometime - You can get it for free(only the Deluxe edition costs money), and it's basically super meat boy with stealth and puzzles. It's also got a dry sense of humor about itself, despite taking itself entirely seriously, that I think you'll enjoy.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I listen to the podcast infrequently, don't generally listen to podcasts, and often skip the opening bits. I also like book club... when the book they pick coincides with something I want to read soon. :P

So yeah... it's all a matter of convenience to me.
  • From FNPL:

Nelson: "You know phantom limb syndrome? Imagine that with your entire body."
    Churba: "That'd be a bit disorienting."

Also, since turnabout is fair play - FNPL, does anyone from the forum still listen, other than sonic and I?
  • Double EDIT: really guys? Geeknights introduced you to atheism? Geeknights was part of what made me stop being atheist.
    So what are you now?
  • edited January 2013
    I listen, but I didn't start until a few months ago.
    EDIT: Ninja'd by WUB. Regarding that ninja, Christian with an undertone of nihilism.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • I listen, but I didn't start until a few months ago.
    EDIT: Ninja'd by WUB. Regarding that ninja, Christian with an undertone of nihilism.
    Anything you think we could improve? Anything you want to hear? Anything you like in particular? Any further thoughts at all? Please, tell us what you think, I'd love to hear it.
  • edited January 2013
    How does that work? Nihilism and Christianity seem mutually exclusive.

• Also, since turnabout is fair play - FNPL, does anyone from the forum still listen, other than sonic and I?
    I do. It's one of the high points of my podcast intake.
  • I listen, but I didn't start until a few months ago.
    Anything you think we could improve? Anything you want to hear? Anything you like in particular? Any further thoughts at all? Please, tell us what you think, I'd love to hear it.
    Have me as a guest? Nothing jumps out at me, so you're doing a pretty damn good job.
    They are. The Nihilism works as a sanity check for the Christianity. If I became too devout, then I'd be in danger of doing a lot of shit that would go against my own interest. The nihilism makes sure that what I'm doing is practical, in addition to moral.
  • edited January 2013
    I do. It's one of the high points of my podcast intake.
    Same question(s) that I posed to Greg, in that case, best summarised as "Any further thoughts, good or bad? Anything you particularly despise or enjoy?"
    Have me as a guest? Nothing jumps out at me, so you're doing a pretty damn good job.
    Well, that's mostly Sonic's department, but I see no compelling reason you shouldn't be added to the list, at the least.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I cant think of anything that I would change, were I able. Just keep doing what y'all are doing. If you start to suck i'll let you know.
  • edited January 2013
    They are. The Nihilism works as a sanity check for the Christianity. If I became too devout, then I'd be in danger of doing a lot of shit that would go against my own interest. The nihilism makes sure that what I'm doing is practical, in addition to moral.
    Greg, you can't have "belief in something" with an undertone of "belief in nothing." That's logically unsound. I mean, believe what you want, but it's silly to "sanity check" one belief system with cognitive dissonance.

• Greg, you can't have "belief in something" with an undertone of "belief in nothing." That's logically unsound. I mean, believe what you want, but it's silly to "sanity check" one belief system with cognitive dissonance.
    I disagree, WuB.

You can have a positive belief in something, such as Christianity, but as long as you don't hold this belief to be a certainty (which you should never do anyway), you can consider other possibilities to be viable.

That being said, if you have a high level of uncertainty about something important, the only appropriate course of action is further research. More generally, proper skepticism is crucial; as long as you keep in mind that you might be wrong about anything and everything, you're far less likely to do something extremely stupid.
    So, the nihilism is (at the least) moral nihilism? Also, are you seriously asserting that your morality comes from Christianity?
  • I once-again see why I like having cheese around.
  • edited January 2013
    So, the nihilism is (at the least) moral nihilism? Also, are you seriously asserting that your morality comes from Christianity?
    Mine does. I'm not a literalist, nor do I believe that my beliefs should be forced onto others, but most of my morality comes from the teachings of Christ (though not all taught to me by Christians).
    Post edited by Greg on