This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• I'm not sure what's so bad about this one. It's not half as weird as half the things in the WTF of your day thread.
  • It's not that it's that bad. It's not that that's a thing. I prettymuch assume anything is a thing.

I was mostly amazed at the way this particular comic encapsulated so many of the various tangential elements and stereotypes of the Internet into one object.

1. It's furries.

2. It's "Adult Baby" / "Diaper Play"

3. It's a casual admission that there is a significant enough overlap of these communities that those involved in both use their own self-referential terminology.

4. I would bet hard money that every one of those characters is either a self-insertion or depiction of one of the artists' friends.

5. It's basically an educational comic in its presentation. Notice how the tiger dude casually explains the context of the term after the leading question. It reads like the kind of comic you'd see in D.A.R.E. material.

6. It's produced with high enough value to obviously be part of a probably long, ongoing series that takes all of this for granted. There are people who read this comic every morning the way we read Penny Arcade or XKCD, and are "totally in the know" when it comes to the material.

This comic is a perfect storm of stereotypes and validation of said stereotypes. Its very existence implies volumes. For that, it is amazing.
  • Still I AM a furry and I was a little weirded out.
  • So to avoid work and responsibility I watch Band of Brothers and The Pasific. One question why do the guys in the former tuck their trousers in when the latter do not?

Also this is not the weirdest furry thing floating around. Its bloody odd but not the worst.
  • It's cold in Europe and hot and wet in the Pacific?
  • I was just wondering why really, its been bugging me for an age.
  • Still I AM a furry and I was a little weirded out.
    I was mildly amused, but on the whole I don't really get why this stuff bothers people.
  • Why oat meal? Isn't that just porridge ? I wouldn't put Quakers Oats down me kacks for love nor money.
  • Because oatmeal helps with rashes. That's at least true as a wives tale.
  • Goes back to at least ancient Rome. Pliny documents many medicinal uses of barley porridge - including the healing of sores and rashes.
  • Television: "Heavens to betsie! A nipple!"

Internet: "I wasn't shocked by furry diaper fetish info-comics before it was cool."
  • After browsing /b/ for several years the only things I can't stand are animal violence and degloved finger. Holy fuck degloved fingers make me cringe.
  • Fucked up shit happening to real non-consenting people still makes me cringe, but drawings of fucked up shit? Whatever. All it means is that someone drew something. No one was hurt.
  • Goes back to at least ancient Rome. Pliny documents many medicinal uses of barley porridge - including the healing of sores and rashes.
    Ah the good old Romans, if in doubt rub something on it. Also random question do you know any good sources for viking/norse rowing songs.
  • If I ever want to feel good about my mental health, I'll just google "otherkin".

I have a true Conundrum. My beloved Cockatiel, Dr. Bird, died while I was out in Austin. Completely unforeseen pancreatic cancer, insanely rare. It cost us a lot of money and kind of left a hole in my gaming room. It's very sad to go home and not have a tiny little creature happily chirping and climbing around the cage in excitement to get out and sit on my shoulder and preen my ear.

So we've been looking into getting a new bird. We're looking at getting a Parrotlet, mostly because they're tiny birds with the personality of a big bird. They're intelligent, playful, and so incredibly cute you just don't know:

However, part of me is really dreading getting a bird again. They hide when they're sick, they get sick easily and die easily, they are not cheap to buy, bird vets are expensive, and they're yet another animal that could get injured/sick/dead. It was really awful to have to go through that with Dr. Bird.

Really dunno. A logical positive negative approach doesn't work here.
  • If I ever want to feel good about my mental health, I'll just google "otherkin".
    If you think those are bad, you should google "otakukin." :P
  • Do you think otherkins drop the act when they suffer for it? Like if they think they're a dragon and someone tries to spear them with a lance, they're like "ok guys seriously i'm not a dragon"?
  • Do you think otherkins drop the act when they suffer for it? Like if they think they're a dragon and someone tries to spear them with a lance, they're like "ok guys seriously i'm not a dragon"?
    When someone tries to spear you on a lance, I doubt saying you're not really are a dragon is going to help you much.
    Ah the good old Romans, if in doubt rub something on it. Also random question do you know any good sources for viking/norse rowing songs.
    Nothing that survives from the period. The sagas do occasionally state that someone "sang" a poem, and I've heard a poet sing his poem in Old Norse, in an effort to recreate a possible sound. But nope, no records of rowing songs specifically. It'd probably be a skaldic poem that was sung or chanted instead of being recited.

Maybe some, but I bet there's a nonzero number of them that truly believe and thus would probably cry racism.
    Nothing that survives from the period. The sagas do occasionally state that someone "sang" a poem, and I've heard a poet sing his poem in Old Norse, in an effort to recreate a possible sound. But nope, no records of rowing songs specifically. It'd probably be a skaldic poem that was sung or chanted instead of being recited.

Pants well there goes that bright idea. Thanks for the help though, I shall have to look around some more. I've been asked by some friends to find some of the war chants and battle songs and have no idea where to look for them. They are entirely out of my field..
    Do you think otherkins drop the act when they suffer for it? Like if they think they're a dragon and someone tries to spear them with a lance, they're like "ok guys seriously i'm not a dragon"?
    When someone tries to spear you on a lance, I doubt saying you're not really are a dragon is going to help you much.
    This sounds like a great way to counter them. Just whip out some mail and a tabbard have a boy follow you round and spend a fun weekend at a furry convention trying to slay them.

Also on a related note. I was browsing the Tumbler. Txt twitter this morn and found a gem in their pictures about a guy who identified as a vampire and triggered when people talked about pooping, as being a vampire he did not have a normal butt and did not poop. Back in my day we just used to beat each other with sticks, how times change.

Pants well there goes that bright idea. Thanks for the help though, I shall have to look around some more. I've been asked by some friends to find some of the war chants and battle songs and have no idea where to look for them. They are entirely out of my field..
    Try here for inspiration:

http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/music.shtml

VAL isn't totally on-point all the time, but she's pretty good on most things.

That still won't give you actual lyrics, though. You can try this song that my Laurel wrote, which I posted in the About section of my blog:

http://thedraughtsaredeep.wordpress.com/about/

Michael Dixon wrote the words and the basis of the tune; Nuri tweaked the tune and made it sound pretty. The tune is a bit like a hymn - which is probably close to what they did. You might also consider Gregorian chant as inspiration - I have no idea if Vikings used that, but it existed in their time period, and they were Christianized.

• Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio; a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy; he hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! My gorge rises at it. Here hung those lips that I have kissed I know not how oft. Where be your gibes now? Your gambols? Your songs? Your flashes of merriment, that were wont to set the table on a roar?
  • edited February 2013
    I wish the tech community in general wasn't so filled with "Capital L" libertarians and psuedo-scientific nuts...
    Post edited by Andrew on

Try here for inspiration:

http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/music.shtml

VAL isn't totally on-point all the time, but she's pretty good on most things.

That still won't give you actual lyrics, though. You can try this song that my Laurel wrote, which I posted in the About section of my blog:

http://thedraughtsaredeep.wordpress.com/about/

Michael Dixon wrote the words and the basis of the tune; Nuri tweaked the tune and made it sound pretty. The tune is a bit like a hymn - which is probably close to what they did. You might also consider Gregorian chant as inspiration - I have no idea if Vikings used that, but it existed in their time period, and they were Christianized.

Cheers looks like something to sink my teeth into.
  • I wish the tech community in general wasn't so filled with "Capital L" libertarians and psuedo-scientific nuts...
    I am AGREE.
  • I wish the tech community in general wasn't so filled with "Capital L" libertarians and psuedo-scientific nuts...
    There seems to be an unfortunate correlation between being highly knowledgeable in one field, such as tech, and somehow assuming that you're automatically highly knowledgeable in other, unrelated fields to the point of claiming you know more, no matter how much your "knowledge" is BS, than those who are proper experts in said unrelated fields.
    There seems to be an unfortunate correlation between being highly knowledgeable in one field, such as tech, and somehow assuming that you're automatically highly knowledgeable in other, unrelated fields to the point of claiming you know more, no matter how much your "knowledge" is BS, than those who are proper experts in said unrelated fields.
    If only you knew my pain. The amount of people that take a passing interest in a subject or become really fixed in one area who then assume that they know everything. Case in point a guy I know is hard core in to WWII, dressed up and everything, knows nothing about WWI or even the interum period. Yet sees fit to lecture us on it. Then again everyone thinks they know everything about history so that doesn't really stand.
  • WEIMAR REPUBLIC: BEST REPUBLIC.
  • I heard Roxxy throw up in my parents room. Turns out it was my dad.