This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• The forum feels dead and it's not even con season.
  • Is there an address at NSA I can just CC all my mail to? Save them the trouble an all.
  • NIASC@nsa.gov
  • edited July 2013
    Is there an address at NSA I can just CC all my mail to? Save them the trouble an all.
    postmaster@nsa.gov? :P
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • Just saw a local production of Avenue Q.
  • Tim Horton is a Dunchin Donuts that uses fresh ingredients.
  • I'm trying to find a picture of cosplay from the 90s for the new and improved Otakon Family that Geeks panel so I google "90s cosplay." First two results are Daria cosplay. You know me well, Google.
  • I'm not sure what the collective noun for scrub turkeys is, but there was enough of them to justify one hanging around outside my house doing turkey stuff while I was out smoking.
  • I'm not sure what the collective noun for scrub turkeys is, but there was enough of them to justify one hanging around outside my house doing turkey stuff while I was out smoking.
    Wikipedia says "Gang". It also says that Storks come in a "Phalanx" and Parrots come in a "Pandemonium"? O_o
  • I hate doing phone interviews because it's really hard to judge how well I did. If I ever get to a position where I have to hire people, no phone interviews. I'll give them homework instead, and then if they do well enough on that, one in-person interview.
  • edited July 2013
    I maked you a car.
    .....________
    ..../________\
    .(*)_________(*)
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • I hate doing phone interviews because it's really hard to judge how well I did. If I ever get to a position where I have to hire people, no phone interviews. I'll give them homework instead, and then if they do well enough on that, one in-person interview.
    I also dislike them, but I dislike talking on the phone in general.
  • edited July 2013
    Korean TV station strikes back, post Southwest landing
    It looks like a Korean news agency is having some fun at KTVU’s expense. After the landing gear failure of the Southwest flight at LGA they showed this graphic with American pilot names “Captain Kent Parker Wright”, “Co-Captain Wyatt Wooden Workman”.

They even went as far as making up fake names for people to interview. Flight instructor “Heywood U. Flye-Moore” and skeptical passenger “Macy Lawyers”.
    Edit: Maybe shopped, maybe not shopped. Still funny.
  • At least they had the decency to get the nationality for their silly names right.
  • At the opening for my godfather's art exhibit. I havent ununderstood any of his work before. He's maintaining his quality.
  • Time from Phil Fish ego-tantrum till Fez 2 being back on: Four days. Thanks to an "Outpouring of support."

Yeah, not buying it Phil.
  • "FEEL BAD FOR ME"
  • I need a job.
  • I think I've been riding my bike to work enough to where if I don't ride my bike at least once a day my legs ache with this incredible restless feeling. It seems strange since I've been pretty athletic all my life and I've never really had this feeling like clockwork, just occasionally. It might be a bad sign :/
  • Given how she has a long and respectable history as a writer for Forbes Magazine, Boing Boing, and others, I think we can assume she is pretty legitimate.
  • edited August 2013
    Former music contributor? Freelance writer? Yeah, she's no Glen Greenwald...

Even if she was reputable, she sought no comment by the authorities after the fact and essentially presents an anecdotal story from her husband. If these are happening a 100 times a week, where are all those voices? Did she try to corroborate her experiences with them? How about constructing a semi-coherent narrative about these raids?
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited August 2013
    She did admit that she didn't post the story as a work of journalism -- it was just a write up of her own experience. Take that for what you may.

Also, how many people would have the guts, let alone the technical capacity, to write up about being visited by law enforcement over searching for "bad" words on the internet? Second, how many of them have connections to relatively major internet media sites such as Forbes, Boing Boing, and so on to get the word out? Sure, all of us here have the guts and savvy, but we're a tiny percentage of the population. Also, none of us really have the same media connections she does to get the word out either.

Now, if you think this is just a publicity stunt, The Guardian (assuming you trust them) actually called the FBI and confirmed the raid.
  • edited August 2013
    I'm sure the raid happened, but it's highly unlike the result of "pressure cookers and backpacks." There is a kernel of truth in the article, but it's highly editorialized, misleading, and doesn't really inform anyone. It's fairly worthless from any sort of intellectual point of view. But I suppose you are probably looking for a confirmation of your personal views.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited August 2013
    quote from article

"Still, she was left worried by the visit, which she attributes to her family's internet history."

Emphasis added by me.

'Nuff said.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Can you suggest an alternative reason for the visit then? Granted, you may be right that it had nothing to do with her internet history, but the visit is certainly very suspicious.
  • edited August 2013
    She said her husband makes frequent trips to China and South Korea. Furthermore, it's not up to us to prove some alternative theory. It's up to her to show evidence that her quinoa recipes put the Fed's panties in a bundle.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited August 2013
    She said her husband makes frequent trips to China and South Korea. Furthermore, it's not up to us to prove some alternative theory. It's up to her to show evidence that her quinoa recipes put the Fed's panties in a bundle.
    Okay, I grant you that China and South Korea may have been part of it, but I doubt it would be the sole red flag. It probably contributed to whatever algorithm they use to flag people. Besides, it's not like traveling to China and South Korea is illegal anyway. Even if it's just a case of him visiting those countries, it doesn't give any right for the raid. They also seemed especially interested in pressure cookers (and rice cookers) and whether or not they could be used in bomb making.

Again, you're right that the internet search may have nothing to do with it. However, even if the search did in fact have nothing to do with it, they still had no business performing said raid.
  • edited August 2013
    Give me proof, not feelings. Seriously, she's just as bad as those people who contribute AIDS to big pharma drugs.
    Post edited by Andrew on