This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Atomic Trivia War 9000: The Podcast: The Game

Comments

• Just got a chance to listen to this. It's got potential. Looking forward to doing it again this week.
  • edited October 2010
    I gotta get in on this zazzy business. Wednesdays or Mondays are overwhelmingly the best days for me.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • The mp3 file is called "Ep1"... What the fuck, guys?

Re-post:

Sort out your titles and ID3 tags right now!

Not every single person downloads podcasts via iTunes, which re-titles and stores the audio files using the information in the RSS feed. Many, many, many people, even regular listeners, download each episode with their browser, then transfer the file to a player.

So the following instructions goes for anyone starting a new podcast. You know the name of your podcast, right? Good. Now make sure you do the following from the very first episode:

- Begin the file name with the name of your podcast. If the name is really long, go for an acronym.
    - The next part of your file name should be the episode number. This should be at least three digits long. Start with 001.
    - The last part of your file name should be the topic or title of the episode.

If you do the above, the collected files from your podcast line up perfectly in any list of files and on immediate import into any software. If you start at "1" and go on to "2", when you get to "11" it'll be listed before "2" in many situations.

And so, even without ID3 tag information, your listeners will be able to quickly see what is what.

On to ID3 tags:

- Make sure the "genre" is set to "Podcast"! Many podcasts are categorized as a blues track! WTF?
    - Make sure the track number matches the episode number.
    - List the hosts and the guests in Artist category.
    - Make sure the album info is the same in EVERY podcast from the first episode on.
    - Set the year to the year you published the podcast.
    - Adding artwork is good, but not crucial. iTunes and iPods like it though, as they display really nicely.

By the way, all of this takes seconds in iTunes. The only problem is that it can change the name of the file (not a bad thing) to include the track number at the start (the bad thing). In this case, just copy the file to a different location and change the name before you upload it.
  • ... What the fuck, guys?
    That's all Jason.
  • And because it's on a hosting service that generates one-time download links, I can't even use Huffduffer to automagically bring it into my custom podcast feed and let iTunes download it for me.

It's like you're doing everything you possibly can to make this difficult for me to listen to it.
  • Maybe I'm being really stupid, but I can't work out how to download this from the site give. I click the link above, then click the "Click here to start download" link, and it says processing, and then nothing happens. Right clicking to save using that link doesn't work either.
  • Works for me.
  • Why don't/didn't you use the LibSyn sandbox?
    edited October 2010
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    Post edited by ... on
    edited October 2010
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    Post edited by ... on
  • emporarily hosting on MediaFire just to get it in your hands.Link.
    Temporary situation was temporary until I had time to album art work, create a standardized naming and ID3 tag system. I've been cataloging audio since 1997. I know what this is about. But I wanted time to think about all the issues that might arise in the future and make sure to finalize the branding before committing to publishing and feeds.

Speaking of which, here is the podcast feed. Enjoy. Subscribe. This is episode one. Episode two is recorded, edited, and ready for release Friday. Episodes three and four will be recorded Thursday.

As you can see, there's been a slight name change. I've also been working on new categories and ways to knock off rough edges. In addition, never having had much need to use Audacity, I'm also experimenting with filters to get rid of and equalize some of the background noise.
  • After listening to the first episode, I definitely want to be on the next one you record.
  • After listening to the first episode, I definitely want to be on the next one you record.
    Maybe you could do the William Shatner category? I guarantee the results will be hilarious.
  • Oh my god, the American history part was sad :-p
  • Fuck you! xD
  • Fuck you! xD
    Read a few more history books :-p (I'm not saying I'd do better, since I'm HOORRRRIBLE when put on the spot but those world war II questions were CAKE)
  • I dig history, but I haven't had a history class for four years, so GTFO!
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2010
    Fuck you! xD
    Read a few more history books :-p (I'm not saying I'd do better, since I'm HOORRRRIBLE when put on the spot but those world war II questions were CAKE)
    Okay ScoJo, if you are so sure of your skills, Skype in this Thursday and smack all of us n00bs down! XD
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited October 2010
    since I'm HOORRRRIBLE when put on the spot
    if you are so sure of your skills
    I dig history, but I haven't had a history class for four years, so GTFO!
    Dude, it's been like 10 years for me, spend an hour or so reading wikipedia or something :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Not all of us are politicians :P
  • edited October 2010
    Not all of us are politicians :P
    I don't think local level politics talks a lot about the Manhattan project or when we launched our D-Day offensive (if it did it wouldn't be as hard to get people involved:-p) The last time I took a modern history course was high school :-p Guess Public schools have been falling our children more so since 1998.

Maybe I will take part in this at some point.. Just don't know what topic to get involved in...
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • That's not what I mean. I mean you have an active interest in something that you pursue in your free time. Of course you would retain information like that more than I would.
  • Didn't you pick the U.S. History topic?
  • Yeah, I thought it would be fun and I didn't want to pick an obvious geek topic.
  • Yeah, I thought it would be fun and I didn't want to pick an obvious geek topic.
    I'm just giving you a hard time for the fun of it.
  • edited October 2010
    Guess Public schools have been falling our children more so since 1998.
    My shirt must be starched, cause it's all irony. :D
    Post edited by Jason on
  • My shirt must be starched, cause it's all irony. :D
    I am purely referring to American History. Any word substitution can be purely blamed on my father genes :-p
    I'm just giving you a hard time for the fun of it.
    I know ;D
  • Finally got around to listening to the podcast. This was enjoyable to listen to. A few audio mishaps from microphone feedback, but overall it sounded well.

I'm really interested in being a contestant, but don't want to take anyone's place necessarily.