This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Egypt in Crisis

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Seems like the army's in charge of the country for now.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • The army is trying to manage things during the power transfer. Doesn't look like the military wants to be in power though.
  • ALRIGHT.

USA, now it is our turn!
    So you want Obama to step down?
    NO, the secret shadow government that's really in power. Duh.
  • Seems like the army's in charge of the country for now.
    The armyis trying to manage things during the power transfer. Doesn't look like the military wants to be in power though.
    That's good because it means they will be in a hurry to have an election that isn't bullshit.
  • Gotta wonder what happened to make Mubarak change his mind since yesterday.
    Several million people not budging for two weeks gets pretty menacing-looking after a while, I'm guessing.
  • So...what now?
    Veep assumes power? In his speech yesterday, Mubarak said he had transferred many of his responsibilities to Suleiman.

Also, holy fuck.
    The utter failure of his previous speech saying he'd stick around? The unending protest? Maybe also the military explaining to him that they couldn't reasonably keep order for much longer? The economic impact of permanent protest/strike?
  • Several million people not budging for two weeks gets pretty menacing-looking after a while, I'm guessing.
    Sure, but as far as I can tell the only difference between today and yesterday is that he pissed them off by saying he wouldn't leave.
  • Several million people not budging for two weeks gets pretty menacing-looking after a while, I'm guessing.
    Sure, but as far as I can tell the only difference between today and yesterday is that he pissed them off by saying he wouldn't leave.
    A billion disgruntled people blowing off steam in a city square is vastly different when they all stop and look at you like you're the only gazelle in a lion cage.
  • Sure, but as far as I can tell the only difference between today and yesterday is that he pissed them off by saying he wouldn't leave.
    Well, today, the protesters were marching on the presidential palace. Last night, they surrounded government buildings. In Alexandria, they were firebombing police stations.
  • So...what now?
    Veep assumes power? In his speech yesterday, Mubarak said he had transferred many of his responsibilities to Suleiman.

Also, holy fuck.
    The VP handed over power to the military.
  • The VP handed over power to the military.
    Ah.

We'll see how this turns out. So far, the military has been very good about staying neutral and being very fair.
  • The VP handed over power to the military.
    Not sure if want...
  • Al Jazeera: Switzerland foreign ministry spokesperson announces that all Mubarak's assets have been frozen
  • Uh, guys, what did we say about foreign intervention..?
  • This made me happy.

• That's a great reference.
  • Sure, but as far as I can tell the only difference between today and yesterday is that he pissed them off by saying he wouldn't leave.
    My guess is now thus:

The military expected that his previous speech was going to be him ceding power, or at least calling for elections as soon as possible and appointing an interim president to carry them out.

When this turned out to not be the case, the military leadership decided it was time to take action. The large, angry, growing mob, now simmering with outrage, was probably a major factor in the military's decision to remove him.

I imagine a long meeting between Mubarak and the military leadership, his refusal to comply, and then his secret arrest. The VP was then told to cede to the people's demands and temporarily transfer power to the military to hold elections.

I put 60% odds on this being the basic story.
  • edited February 2011
    And now, back to Egypt.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • I just hope the millitary does not stay for a long time in power. Peru had militarism for about 35 years and it was pretty sucky :S
  • So I decided to read Free Republic. Just to see. I've never actually ventured there before, and I figured this would be a "good" time to do so.

My brain is full of fuck.
  • So, I discussed Egypt (politically and social-media-y) in a job interview today. I think that might have landed me the job.

Thanks, Egypt!
  • dsfdsf
    edited February 2011
    Slaves
    Hebrews born to serve, to the pharaoh
    Heed
    To his every word, live in fear
    Faith
    Of the unknown one, the deliverer
    Wait
    Something must be done, four hundred years

So let it be written
    So let it be done
    I'm sent here by the chosen one
    So let it be written
    So let it be done
    To kill the first born pharaoh's son
    I'm creeping death

Now
    Let my people go, land of Goshen
    Go
    I will be with thee, bush of fire
    Blood
    Running red and strong down the Nile
    Plague
    Darkness three days long, hail to fire

So let it be written
    So let it be done
    So let it be written
    So let it be done
    I'm creeping death

Die by my hand
    I creep across the land
    Killing first-born man
    Die by my hand
    I creep across the land
    Killing first-born man

I
    Rule the midnight air, the destroyer
    Born
    I shall soon be there, deadly mass
    I
    Creep the steps and floor, final darkness
    Blood
    Lamb blood painted door, I shall pass

So let it be written
    So let it be done
    So let it be written
    So let it be done
    I'm creeping death
    Post edited by dsf on
  • So I decided to read Free Republic. Just to see. I've never actually ventured there before, and I figured this would be a "good" time to do so.

My brain is full of fuck.
    I'm assuming it's the bad kind and not the good kind.
  • BBC producer reports "Tehran is total chaos"
    Oh ho, I've been here before, come back in 6 months and tell me how that turns out.
  • Egypt vs Iraq
    A few differences Between Iraq and Egypt,
    Both run by tyrants

Both had regime change.

Iraq took 8 years and counting.
    Egypt took 18 days

Iraq cost us a trillion dollars
    Egypt might not take our money if we throw it at them.

Iraq lost over 100,000 people
    the US lost 5000 dead and 40,000 wounded.

Iraq was for lies
    Egypt was for truth

There is a difference

Freedom is not free but its much cheaper when it is for truth too.