This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Egypt in Crisis

Comments

• What, you think we're going to see atheists walking around holding up question marks?
    More atheists should do this.
    Don't, too dangerous. Batman could be hiding anywhere.
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah, Paul, okay.
    Don't, too dangerous. Batman could be hiding anywhere.
    I lol'd. Maybe adopt the Question's blank mask?
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • He's not stepping down...
    At what point to people march on Mubarak's location?
  • At what point to people march on Mubarak's location?
    I give it two minutes, five tops.
    That's one stubborn mother.
    At what point to people march on Mubarak's location?
    It would be a massacre if they tried it.
  • Unless the army switches sides.
    Who said he would anyway?
  • edited February 2011
    Who said he would anyway?
    Well,it was announced that he would be addressing the nation. Everyone was hoping that he would be announcing that he would be stepping down.
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • Who said he would anyway?
    The CIA and AP at least.
  • It would be a massacre if they tried it.
    The army wouldn't move against them. At best, they would arrest him to protect him.
  • Man, Egyptians are tenacious motherfuckers. Mubarak won't relent and the protesters won't go home.

Seriously, at what point do you admit that you have no actual power? What can Mubarak actually do? The continued protests prove that he's impotent.
  • The people are furious.
  • It would be a massacre if they tried it.
    The army wouldn't move against them. At best, they would arresthimto protect him.
    They won't move against them because they haven't been moved against. Look at a map of the presidential palace on Google Maps. You can't get close to it without trying to go through a line of guards. I'm positive if they tried to get past the guards, it would be very bad.
  • But the longer he stays in office, the more likely it is that the protesters will attempt to violently remove him.
  • They won't move against them because they haven't been moved against. Look at a map of the presidential palace on Google Maps. You can't get close to it without trying to go through a line of guards. I'm positive if they tried to get past the guards, it would be very bad.
    I'm pretty sure the palace guards and the Egyptian army are two different entities.
  • They won't move against them because they haven't been moved against. Look at a map of the presidential palace on Google Maps. You can't get close to it without trying to go through a line of guards. I'm positive if they tried to get past the guards, it would be very bad.
    I'm pretty sure the palace guards and the Egyptian army are two different entities.
    Yes.
  • Yes.
    Yeah, so, how many guards are there? How many protesters are there? Yeah.

I don't see the army intervening.
  • CNN is reporting that there is a column of people leaving the square, possibly heading for the presidential palace.
  • CNN is reporting that there is a column of people leaving the square, possibly heading for the presidential palace.
    Now is that actually happening or are they reading that off Twitter?
  • edited February 2011
    CNN is reporting that there is a column of people leaving the square, possibly heading for the presidential palace.
    Now is that actually happening or are they reading that off Twitter?
    It was an onsite reporter who said he was seeing march beginning.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Wow. I'm just now getting over a nasty bout of bronchitis. I haven't felt like following the news or anything the last couple of weeks, and I'm only now starting to feel normal again.

Have I missed anything?
  • Yes.
    Yeah, so, how many guards are there? How many protesters are there? Yeah.

I don't see the army intervening.
    Some members of the army are reportedly torturing disappeared protesters. I wouldn't be so quick to say that they won't act.
  • Wow. I'm just now getting over a nasty bout of bronchitis. I haven't felt like following the news or anything the last couple of weeks, and I'm only now starting to feel normal again.

Have I missed anything?
    Yes.
  • Yeah, so, how many guards are there? How many protesters are there? Yeah.
    It doesn't take much.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/List_of_events_named_massacres

Think about that huge mob in the square right now. Now imagine if even one tank decided it wanted to kill.
  • Now imagine if even one tank decided it wanted to kill.
    Not even a tank. One hand grenade.
  • Correction, seems like they are heading for the state television center.
  • Correction, seems like they are heading for the state television center.
    Also a heavily guarded area.