This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Egypt in Crisis

Comments

• edited February 2011
    FUCK. Mubarak has delegated authorities to Omar Suleiman, who is Egypt's new vice president and former Spymaster. He also allegedly tortured people Extraordinarily Rendered in black prisons, as verified by an innocent man who Suleiman hung by his shoulder blades on meathooks and proceeded to beat so severely that the prisoner's blindfold fell off and revealed his [Suleiman's] identity.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I will not be separated from this soil until I am buried underneath it.
  • Someone's going to take that as an invitation.
  • Someone's going to take that as an invitation.
    They may already have.
    11:50pm: Among the chants heard in Tahrir Square:

We're off to the presidential palace. We're going as millions of martyrs.
    According to AJE Live blog.
  • Holy fucking christ this is bad.
  • Protesters interviewed on CNN were just repeating "Give me liberty or give me death."
  • Yeah, somebody should've told Mubarak that it's a bad idea to troll an angry mob of protesters.

Also:
    [Update 11:38 p.m. in Cairo, 4:38 p.m. ET] Vice President Omar Suleiman says President Hosni Mubarak's speech affirms his commitment to responding to "the demands of the people" and to making the "safety, security and stability" of Egypt a priority above any other consideration.

He also commended the "youth revolution" while urging young people to "go back to your houses, go back to your work, the homeland needs your work." He also told them to ignore the "satellite images" that "mar Egypt" by fomenting revolt.
    Right, because that totally worked when Mubarak tried it two fucking weeks ago.

I do wonder, as CNN speculates in the update after that, if the government is trying to provoke anger in order to justify a greater crackdown.
  • edited February 2011
    Omar Suleiman is a waste of sperm and egg. He tortures innocent men for profit and to attempt to save face for Egypt by catching "terrorists" who are really just kidnapped men tortured into false confessions. I hope, if this revolution becomes violent, that he is among the first to go.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Shit is about to get real.
  • From Al Jazeera's live blog: 11:50pm: Among the chants heard in Tahrir Square: "We're off to the presidential palace. We're going as millions of martyrs."
  • Egyptian Ambassador to the U.S. is saying that the VP is in power in all but name.
  • Egyptian Ambassador to the U.S. is saying that the VP is in power in all but name.
    And Tahrir protesters interviewed on CNN are saying that's just Mubarak shifting the knife from his right hand to his left hand.
  • Wow, the things you miss when you sleep through an entire day...
  • Wow, the things you miss when you sleep through the night...
  • The military announced that it backs Mubarak
  • God damn it all.
  • Aw shit balls, this isn't going to end well.
  • The military announced that it backs Mubarak
    Insofar as they said they're not opposed to him staying until September. Still, not great.
  • I'm reading reports that Mubarak and his family have left Cairo.
  • I can understand why the military is doing this, they want a peaceful and easy transition of power and letting Mubarak stay until September can let that happen since they'll have time to prepare for it. While kicking him out now suddenly would potentially create a power vacuum that they would probably be forced to fill, and that's not necessarily something they can or want to do.
  • they'll have time to prepare for it.
    This is what the people are worried about. If Mubarak doesn't leave NOW, he'll spend every moment until September reinforcing his power structure and be be even harder to dispose.
  • This is what the people are worried about. If Mubarak doesn't leave NOW, he'll spend every moment until September reinforcing his power structure and be be even harder to dispose.
    I really don't think this will be the case any more. If anything, the problem would be that he would have time to groom a candidate who is effectively a replacement.
  • I really don't think this will be the case any more. If anything, the problem would be that he would have time to groom a candidate who is effectively a replacement.
    I don't see how that's significantly different then him never leaving. He'd get a puppet and a scapegoat all in the same person. I wouldn't trust anyone he appoints as an intern leader nor would I trust the results of an election held while he's still in control.
  • So, Mubarak stepped down.
  • ALRIGHT.

USA, now it is our turn!
  • So...what now?
  • I saw the rumors on Fark a little while before it happened. We're still waiting to see what the actual announcement is (who's in power now, when elections will be, etc...).
  • ALRIGHT.

USA, now it is our turn!
    So you want Obama to step down?