This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic

Comments

• edited December 2011
    Saw this on the corkboard at Five Guys.
    Post edited by Snickety-Snake on
  • Via /r/mylittlepony:
  • Other observations from this episode, assuming we take the play for literal face value:

Weather can be controlled not only in equestria, but even outside of it. This makes the Everfree Forest an anomaly with equestria the norm

Unicorns move both sun and moon. Whether if it took the combine might of their entire tribe or not, it still goes to show that the equestrian system works else where as well. Celestia and Luna's significance when it comes to the solar workings are thus put into question.

Earth Ponies grow and control crop production extremely well, to the point where they can provide for all three tribes. Perhaps an innate magic.
  • Other observations from this episode, assuming we take the play for literal face value:

Weather can be controlled not only in equestria, but even outside of it. This makes the Everfree Forest an anomaly with equestria the norm

Unicorns move both sun and moon. Whether if it took the combine might of their entire tribe or not, it still goes to show that the equestrian system works else where as well. Celestia and Luna's significance when it comes to the solar workings are thus put into question.

Earth Ponies grow and control crop production extremely well, to the point where they can provide for all three tribes. Perhaps an innate magic.
    At the time of the hearth's warming Starswirl the Bearded was probably handling the sun/moon movement. I imagine that Luna and Celestia learned from him or his successors. Also, while the story takes place before the reign of Celestia, it doesn't say whether it takes place before the existence of Celestia/Luna. Though, I imagine it does since the existence of a pegacorn would really throw off the whole tribal warfare. If the sun and moon could be moved by any old unicorn, you would clearly have terrorist unicorns trying to fuck with it. That's why they need an autocratic political system. If they had our government, they would probably cut funding to the magic department and the day would get all fucked up.

Earth ponies definitely have a magic that can't be seen whether it is pinkie sense, farming crops, or farming rocks. See how Applejack just picked up that dirt and a plant fuckin' sprouted? She can control plants the way Fluttershy controls the animals.
  • Maybe in the Unicorn tribe there was at a time only one unicorn with a cutie mark of Sun and another unicorn with cutie mark for Moon. Remember that unicorn magic is not all powerful and Twilight could be one of the most talented unicorns in Equestria, at least when it comes to magic. Most unicorns have only couple of tricks related to their special talent. So you'd better have that Sun cutie mark if you want to mess with the length of the day.

Also I remember Lauren Faust writing somewhere that Earth Ponies are naturally good with plants, farming and animals and Fluttershy is kinda exceptional for a pegasus that is so good with animals. Combine that with the fact that she is/was afraid of heights she seems kinda like a earth pony in a pegasus pony's body.
  • The opening narration in the very first episode said that Celestia brought forth the sun with her unicorn magic. Clearly it's doable. The exact mechanics are up for grabs, but I'm betting it's a group effort, because Celestia is WTF powerful.
  • The opening narration in the very first episode said that Celestia brought forth the sun with her unicorn magic. Clearly it's doable. The exact mechanics are up for grabs, but I'm betting it's a group effort, because Celestia is WTF powerful.
    I will agree that the alicorn powers are beyond unicorn comparison, only because with have Luna as a comparison from Luna Eclipsed. And she had been stuck in the moon for a thousand years even.

As for earth pony magic, i dont think its more of an actual control of plants like chloromancers, but more of plants simply sensing and reacting very well to their innate abilities.
  • Granted its all really dumbed down and kid-friendly, but yeah, its teaching a lot of harsh lessons.
  • Most unicorns have only couple of tricks related to their special talent. So you'd better have that Sun cutie mark if you want to mess with the length of the day.
    More than likely the case since Twilight's special talent seems to BE magic. She has the potential to be the most powerful spellcaster in Equestria.
  • Twilight's special talent is magic and she is the student of Celestia, but where it says that talents are absolutely unique? There could be some other older unicorn in Canterlot with talent for magic and more time and experience to master more of it.

That is irrelevant tough, it doesn't change the fact that Twilight is many times more talented in unicorn magic than your average background unicorn.
  • Twilight's special talent is magic and she is the student of Celestia, but where it says that talents are absolutely unique? There could be some other older unicorn in Canterlot with talent for magic and more time and experience to master more of it.

That is irrelevant tough, it doesn't change the fact that Twilight is many times more talented in unicorn magic than your average background unicorn.
    Oh no doubt, but she's simply the only one we've seen so far. But then again, a cutie mark symbolizes what makes a pony special, so while they probably specialize in some forms of magic, I am dubious if they have the potential to master ALL the magic.
  • Also I remember Lauren Faust writing somewhere that Earth Ponies are naturally good with plants, farming and animals and Fluttershy is kinda exceptional for a pegasus that is so good with animals. Combine that with the fact that she is/was afraid of heights she seems kinda like a earth pony in a pegasus pony's body.
    she seems kinda like a earth pony in a pegasus pony's body.
    Okay, now I'm inspired to do a series of trans-rights pony photoshops/fanfics. Anybody with me?

• Some people are suggesting that the Equestria flag is a combination of the flags of the three tribes, and it is coincidence that it depicts the royal pony sisters.
  • edited December 2011
    Though, I imagine it does since the existence of a pegacorn would really throw off the whole tribal warfare.
    Celestia and Luna were obviously created by the unity of the 3 tribes.

EDIT: Also, that was a great fucking episode.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Some people are suggesting that the Equestria flag is a combination of the flags of the three tribes, and it is coincidence that it depicts the royal pony sisters.
    Maybe the royal sisters were later incorporated into the flag after their takeover, hostile or otherwise.
  • IJIJ
    edited December 2011
    When watching hearth warming eve I suddenly realized that creepy glowing eyes effect Twilight has during her harmony magics episodes seemed familiar, and not just because they appeared in earlier episodes too. Took me some hours to figure out what it reminded me of.

Anyone remember Lyta Alexander from Babylon 5?
    Celestia is probably a Vorlon and Luna is Shadow, doing their experiments on earth ponies, kicking them onto next steps of the evolutionary ladder..
    Granted i haven't seen the series in years, which I'll try to correct this holiday season.

Thought this was a neat enough idea to share. Hopefully it'll stop running circles inside of my head now.
    Post edited by IJ on
  • Celestia is probably a Vorlon and Luna is Shadow, doing their experiments on earth ponies, kicking them onto next steps of the evolutionary ladder..
    Yes, that's probably it. ;P

This explains why Celestia is so aloof and Luna is always asking people what they want!

• I convinced Jeremy to buy this for his niece for Christmas. It was the only toy worth buying, imo.

• Why, Ro? Why would you do that?
  • Better than her getting a Barbie or Dora gift. At least she'll get some exposure to MLP:FiM.
  • Because this child has clearly done her a grievous wrong and needs to be punished for it.
  • oh my god...the sheer..power of its visage...its eating my mind!
  • Ok, to the older MLP:FiM fan, this isn't the best toy out there. This is for a little girl who isn't even 3 years old and has no idea about MLP:FiM. You guys are being stupid.
  • So it's the end of the year, and I realized that I need to get some new calendars for home and the office. I'm on Amazon looking for Pixar calendars, then it dawned on me that this exists.
  • So it's the end of the year, and I realized that I need to get some new calendars for home and the office. I'm on Amazon looking for Pixar calendars, then it dawned on me that this exists.
    Wondermark sold out of 2012 calendars, so ponies is next best bet.

Thing is, so does this. I'm all set, because I have my awesome Kiki's Delivery Service calendar, which hangs from the sign for said delivery service and has a little Gigi.

• Wow, that is scariest Pinky Pie!
  • I really don't think the baby Pinkie Pie is that bad.

@Scott, that was pretty awesome.