This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic

Comments

• Daring should have a cousin from Brismane named Diggery.
    I get it!
    Well, according to the TV Tropes page on Daring Doo, her brother is named Derring.
    Apparently, Derring is the name of her sister. She also has a brother, who goes by Darrin. Her parents were evidently not very creative. Or they were just massive trolls.
  • It happens. My name is Victor, my sister's is Victoria, and my brother's is Vigen.
  • It happens. My name is Victor, my sister's is Victoria, and my brother's is Vigen.
    Is your family the real life VVVVVV?
  • edited February 2012
    Where does fancomics lie in this debate?
    According to the scott-metric, 1 page or less is A-OK. Beyond that the okay-ness decreases per page.
    It depends. I mean, what counts as a fan comic? Is 8-bit theatre a fan comic? It uses sprites from Final Fantasy, but those are original characters.

Consider the official Simpson's comics from Bongo. If those were made by fans for free on the Internets, they would be fan comics. Thing is, those are actually kinda good, and the people making them get money. And have you ever seen a fan comic of that calibre? Something that is very much quite like the original thing, only more of it? I haven't.

Consider doujinshi. An entire volume of comic with someone else's characters and universe. I'm sure there's a good one out there somewhere, but 99.99999% are crap. Some of them are pretty crazy like Batman x Kiki's Delivery Service, but even those aren't actually good. The idea of them is good.

I'm all for people making fan-works. Creating and remixing stuff is always the awesome. But all the fan stuff that's actually any good is made by people who already have skills. Like when a famous comic artist draws a Pokemon in an awesome way, aw shit!

Show me the person who is already a great author of fiction writing a fan-fiction. Even when people write fan-fiction in an official capacity, they still suck. I read the famous Timothy Zahn thrawn trilogy. They are without a doubt the most popular Star Wars books ever. All the nerds love them. I read them to see what the deal was. They were middling to mediocre. If those are the best, I shudder when I imagine the rest. Shudder double for something some kid wrote in his spare time.
    Micheal Chabon wrote a novella which was essentially a non-cannon Sherlock Holmes story, and it was super good. There are plenty of awesome professionals that do fan-works based on properties they don't own. Manga authors who do doujinshi (Kiyohiko Azuma) and comic artists who do fanart (Kate Beaton drew spider man!) are commonplace, so hush.
    (Also, I don't need to post this because I just turned around and argued with you. .)
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • 7 Percent Solution anyone?
  • There was juts a great post-recording debate, and clearly we have a disagreement as to what constitutes fan-fiction.
  • It was a good debate.
  • Neil Gaiman wrote a pretty awesome Sherlock Holmes/Cthulhu Mythos crossover fan fiction. It was at the beginning of Fragile Things.
  • edited February 2012
    There was juts a great post-recording debate, and clearly we have a disagreement as to what constitutes fan-fiction.
    It was a good debate.
    Wish I could've heard it.

Wonder Rarity!

Post edited by Viga on
  • Looks like she's giving a Heil Hitler.
  • Looks like she's giving a Heil Hitler.
    D:

• I thought she was beauty queen waving.
  • I thought she was beauty queen waving.
    I concur. Right angle for waving Wrong angle for Heiling.

• edited February 2012

Edit- Apparently, Twilight is the actual voice actor for Twilight...
    Post edited by Clockian on
  • edited February 2012
    edit: nvm

Post edited by Nissl on
  • So. I'm attending a local gaming convention and it's been proposed that a mix of

A) http://housesoftheblooded.net/

and

B) MLP:FIM

be run. I am intrigued. I know nothing of A and very little of B. If anything else, I think I need to document it if it does occur.
  • Ah, so you're going to OrcCon?
  • I am, sir. Are you? It didn't even compute a fellow FRCF'ite might be there.
  • Ah, alas, I'm not. Even though it's close by, I didn't find out about it in time to budget the $50. I'll probably be at either Anime Club or Friday Night Dice.
  • Haha, an interesting play, Ms. Strong. Interesting indeed.
    So interesting that it seems to have been pulled. Either that or the link is broken.
  • /mlp/ exists as of today.

Dear god, what have we done?
  • edited February 2012
    Haha, an interesting play, Ms. Strong. Interesting indeed.
    So interesting that it seems to have been pulled. Either that or the link is broken.
    Probably pulled.
    /mlp/ exists as of today.

Dear god, what have we done?
    OUR JOBS.

EDIT: Good going for Moot. He made a good move.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited February 2012
    EDIT: Good going for Moot. He made a good move.
    On the upside, it aims keeps ponies out of the rest of 4chan.

On the downside, the operative phrase is "Aims to", as the only way that will ever work is curing bronies of their nigh-on pathalogical need to cram ponies into literally every facet of everyone's lives possible.

Friendship is magic, bronies are irritating. Death and taxes.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Sounds like somepony needs a hug!
  • Sounds like somepony needs a hug!
  • That's the best you can do? Weak as an old woman's piss, the pair of you. I'm only half as disappointed as I could be, though - after all, I only expect better from Rym.
  • Blimey, is that any way to talk to a cobber? You are a fair dikum mate. No need to ear bash us with hate.
  • need to cram ponies into literally every facet of everyone's lives possible.
    You sick bastard.