This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic

Comments

• I loved the songs in this episode so now i can say Smile is the best song with Cadence's at second.
  • Pinkie Pie sneezed glitter. I demand someone edit that in with the Archer quote.
  • @Eryn It does explain why some times we see duplicate ponies in the background.
  • Very contrived villains and resolution. Very fun episode in a lot of places, a lot of random fandom drop-ins, but the core plot seems full of holes. I enjoyed it, genuinely laughed a bit.
  • @Eryn It does explain why some times we see duplicate ponies in the background.
    image It all makes sense now...
  • edited April 2012
    Oh! The Queen does have a name, apparently. At least that the staffers gave her:

I dig it.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • edited April 2012
    So if Twilight is so close to her brother, why have we not seen or heard of him before now?

EDIT: Okay, I see what you did there. Good retcon there.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • So if Twilight is so close to her brother, why have we not seen or heard of him before now?
    So say we all.
  • My question is more of why did Twilight get to be babysat by a God-Princess? Shouldn't Cadence have been doing more learn-to-rule type things? And where (or rather, from whose loins) did Cadence even come from?

Also, the need to find all of the lost changelings will require the implementation of a pony Inquisition. Trust Celestia, Celestia is your friend.
  • edited April 2012
    The changelings clearly live in their own country, but there is no love there for them to feed on.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Anyone else notice that Cadence's evil magic was totally a reference to Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty?
  • No one else can have green fire?
  • Anyone else notice that Cadence's evil magic was totally a reference to Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty?
    The two parter was very much like a Disney Movie, even agreed by the DHX people. Cadence being so evil, having a villain song, having three evil monologues (2 were smartly taken advantage of) and how she rains havoc on a castle? I won't go into it more, but there's plenty that was very Disney-like.

Loved the two-parter. I predicted simple evil, but I didn't really predict it was caused by Changelings with a Queen and ARMY.
  • No one else can have green fire?
    It's not just the green fire:
  • Really liked the episodes, although BBBFF might be the worst song so far. The other songs were quite good, and the scene where they're fighting the changelings is pure gold. I only have two contentions:

1) Princess Cadence did practically nothing, despite being a god-princess. I was hoping for her to be more action-y once the changelings appeared. She didn't really even do much magic.

2) Princess Cadence's existence kinda ruins a lot of my fanon regarding alicorns. But now I really want to know what's becoming of Celestia's siblings, because she would have to have more than just Luna in order for Cadence to be Celestia's niece.
  • Fair enough, at least for the transformation bit. Green is just a common colour for villain magic/auras/lighting to be, second only to red, which is why I didn't figure her magic as a whole was a reference.

• edited April 2012
    I really liked her as a villain. She damn near pulled off an incredibly clever plan. The only reason she didn't win was because it's a kids show. If it wasn't, she could have killed off Twilight instead of transporting her.

The Pinkie Pie vs Changeling scene was hilarious, though.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited April 2012
    Really liked the episodes, although BBBFF might be the worst song so far. The other songs were quite good, and the scene where they're fighting the changelings is pure gold. I only have two contentions:

1) Princess Cadence did practically nothing, despite being a god-princess. I was hoping for her to be more action-y once the changelings appeared. She didn't really even do much magic.

2) Princess Cadence's existence kinda ruins a lot of my fanon regarding alicorns. But now I really want to know what's becoming of Celestia's siblings, because she would have to have more than just Luna in order for Cadence to be Celestia's niece.
    Lauren Faust only decided to put two winged unicorns in, but since she is off the show, this is the first departure from the canon she planned. I don't think Cadence is as powerful as Celestia and Luna, though. They don't age, whereas she does. I think she is some sort of niece of the Celestial Sisters, but then, who is the third sister who birthed her?

Post edited by gomidog on
  • Remember, Celstia and Luna are like 1000+ years old. I think it's safe to assume they are the living ancestors of the current royals. She's not a niece. She's a great great great great great great niece.

Another safe assumption is that the family is all sorts of screwy like the real European royal families with all the cross breeding and such. There could be lots of other sub-kingdoms to be princess of if you aren't princess of the whole shebang.
  • edited April 2012
    I really liked that episode. The only thing I would single out negatively is BBBFF, which felt kind of airless; guess I'm not alone in that. Overall it felt like a compressed Disney movie, fun villains that I hope we'll see more of, probably the most cartoon violence we've seen so far. I didn't mind the cheesy conclusion at all, although like almost every episode this season this would have benefited from even more time. I can see why some mainstream reviewers complained about it being dark for the target audience. But then this show has always had bits of nightmare fuel here and there.

Edit: with regards to Cadence, they have an interesting decision to make. I'm guessing we'll never see her again other than a continuity nod or two. She was probably forced into being an alicorn so Hasbro could unload Pinklestia toys, and I'm guessing they don't want to stray too far from Faust canon. However, they could also embrace the appearance of a new alicorn as something with deeper meaning marking a new era, just as with the return of Luna and re-emergence/defeat of Discord.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • Remember, Celstia and Luna are like 1000+ years old. I think it's safe to assume they are the living ancestors of the current royals. She's not a niece. She's a great great great great great great niece.

Another safe assumption is that the family is all sorts of screwy like the real European royal families with all the cross breeding and such. There could be lots of other sub-kingdoms to be princess of if you aren't princess of the whole shebang.
    I've seen some fics and such that imply that the Princesses used to be less divine royalty and more Greek gods, with everything that implies. Hence living ancestors.

• Cadence's magic if anything bears a hint of the power Celestia and Luna controls to an extent, however compared to celestial and luna, she is hardly a goddess per say, seeing as how she ages.

I like scott's theory that the princesses are actually living ancestors, it is something perhaps simillar to the japanese monarchy or chinese monarchy. Both believed their very first emperors were gods or demi gods. In the case of the Chinese, the Yellow Emperor, and the Japanese monarchs were believed to be all descended from Amaterasu, the Sun Goddess (coincidence?)

So in this case its almost as if Amaterasu is still walking around and controlling the sun, with her descendants simply being mortals and ruling over the country. One of this descendants would be like Cadence, who displays a hint of the goddesses's powers, but only in specific circumstance. For hers it was when she merged her magic with shining armor, and only then you see her hair start getting wavy like the goddesses.

That wavy hair thing is probably the factor really. Is your wavy all the time?: goddess tier, if it isnt wavy all the time, but you're still an alicorn, you're one step below, probably a monarch of some sort. Below that would probably be talented powers like twilight and shining armor.
  • edited April 2012
    Just a thought, maybe alicorns can age at will. That may explain Luna's change in appearance from the first time we saw her to Luna Eclipsed.

Edit: Also, why is no pony trying to hook up with Twilight, even if just for breeding purposes? I mean seriously, her family seems to create prodigies.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • Just a thought, maybe alicorns can age at will. That may explain Luna's change in appearance from the first time we saw her to Luna Eclipsed.

Edit: Also, why is no pony trying to hook up with Twilight, even if just for breeding purposes? I mean seriously, her family seems to create prodigies.
    Her family is nobility, not just anybody could "hook up" with her. Not to mention she's still pretty nerdy and bookish, and considering how Canterlot society is (RE: Sweet and Elite) maybe nopony there so far has been interested in her.
  • Just added some evidence. Her real name is Mi Amore Cadenza. She's clearly a foreign princess from South or Central Equestria. Or maybe her mom was a foreign princess who married an Equestrian prince. Perhaps Prince BlueBlood's uncle.
  • Wherever she's from, she was around enough as a younger pony to babysit for Twilight.
  • Wherever she's from, she was around enough as a younger pony to babysit for Twilight.
    Which is still kinda weird. Sure, she's Celestia's favorite student, but that doesn't seem like enough cause to get to be babysat by royalty.
    Which is still kinda weird. Sure, she's Celestia's favorite student, but that doesn't seem like enough cause to get to be babysat by royalty.
    Well, who you gonna call if you need babysitting and you're the literal God-Empress of Equestria?