This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic

Comments

• edited June 2012
    It clicked for me with #4, Applebuck Season, but... I might try Winter Wrap-Up or Sonic Rainboom as a starter from the first season.

This show is odd in that ~30% who try it totally love it, while to everyone else it's a good kids' show but not something where they'd bother to watch every episode (which is how I feel about things like PPG and Phineas and Ferb). After a full year in this fandom I still can't exactly put my finger on why I like it so much.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • I'd skip to Dressed for Success, though everyone who likes animation should see Discord of Harmony regardless of whether or not they like MLP specifically.
  • I'd skip to Dressed for Success, though everyone who likes animation should see Discord of Harmony regardless of whether or not they like MLP specifically.
    You mean Suited for Success? One of the best episodes there is?
  • edited June 2012

Also:
    Celestia watches over the day.
    Luna watches over the night.
    Cadence watches over Twilight.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I think Bridle Gossip, Swarm of the Century, and Winter Wrap-Up are also some of the best to get a good idea of the series. Balance of familiarity, humor, character-individuality, lessons, and clever ideas.
  • Dragonshy (episode 7) is an early-show favorite of mine, although it does focus fairly heavily on a single character.
  • It might be my favorite episode, but I wouldn't start an adult male off with Suited for Success. So much girly stuff, I had a hard time digesting it the first time.
  • edited June 2012
    It's got a Sondheim adaptation and has a message that applies to any designer who's ever existed. What's not to like? Can you not stand the frilly dresses?
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • edited June 2012
    I dunno. I got pink and purple overload and started questioning again what I was doing watching the show when I can't stand the fashion reality TV my roommate watches. Like I said it might be my favorite episode now - I love the song and the metanarrative about the artistic process and a bunch of RD's lines - but you gotta raise the heat slowly to boil that frog.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • I would NOT suggest 'suited for success' as anybody's first episode.

I realize that the show has changed me. A lot.
    Although it's now one of my favorite episodes, if I had seen that episode first, I would definitely not have watched any more.
  • Indeed, Suited for Success made me for head over heels in love with MLPFIM, but only because like Rarity, i do plenty of arty stuff. I would not recommend it to a general mass, although it is my favorite episode.
  • edited June 2012
    Yeah, "Winter Wrap Up" is probably a good general recommendation. However, most of the time you're probably better off tailoring your suggestion to the individual person.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Oddly enough, Suited For Success was my first episode and I am not a designer at all. I got by on the generally good writing and kept watching. I agree though, that an episode like Dragonshy is a better choice.
  • Go Lyra Go! Live your dream! You Gotta Belieeeeeeeve!
  • Pony legs do not work that way

/Morbo
  • edited June 2012
    Pony legs do not work that way

/Morbo
    http://www.foddy.net/Athletics.html
    Post edited by Sail on
  • That's kinda well done, but it's still annoying me - Because that's not what Flanks or Hooves means.

A horse(or pony)'s flanks are where the number 5 is pointing to on this image.

And of course, a horse has Hooves on all four legs.

So it'd be like if QWOP's controls were labeled "Side of the midriff" on one pair, and "Limbs" on the other.

Bonus information - A cutie mark isn't on the ponies' flank, It's on their Croup, or Rump. But I guess "Blank Croup" or "Blank Rump" doesn't quite have the rhyming appeal of "Blank Flank" - because technically, every pony except for that zebra looking one has a Blank Flank.
  • edited June 2012
    Sail: Oh I know, but silly things like context and humor wont keep me from being annoyingly anal about pony joints!

Post edited by Grunkie7 on
  • Sail: Oh I know, but silly things like context and humor wont keep me from being annoyingly anal about pony joints!
    If only we could find what stops you being a passive aggressive twat, then we'd be set.
  • edited June 2012
    How was this thread on page 2? Saved it.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12885979
    Wow, that Nightmare Moon looks AWESOME.
    Fus Roh YAY!
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Flutteryay
    That is really well done- and awesome.
  • edited June 2012

There are more parts, but you can follow the video and find them yourself.
    Post edited by Coldguy on