This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic

Comments

• Pony slash fiction, though, is just gross.
    Not a fan, but I see where it comes from.

The characters in MLP are very strong and surprisingly fleshed out. The people who ship/clop/whatever to/with them probably aren't necessarily turned on by horse genitalia or the cartoony forms: they have hardons for the characters in a literal sense. The personalities are strong enough to elicit this sort of response on a larger scale than other media of late.

It's simple, really.
  • Half my graduating class.
    High school or college? Where?

As near I can tell, most of my own high school graduating class didn't really go anywhere. That's neither new nor surprising, bell curves and bad economies and all.
    My daughter's friends, who while thirteen and fourteen, already show signs of going in that direction (like the girl who wears candy and ears and a tail every day, all day).
    That doesn't make sense. That's just youth culture. They're not "going in that direction," they're just being the way kids today are when they're kids.
    Most of reddit.
    Cite?
  • My daughter's friends, who while thirteen and fourteen, already show signs of going on that direction (like the girl who wears candy and ears and a tail every day, all day).
    They're barely even teenagers. They're supposed to act like idiots. You're much too worried about this. I'm almost 16, and I am -- with only one exception -- the only of my friends without a summer job. Your daughter will grow up, she might just be a late bloomer.
  • Cite?
    reddit.com/r/atheism

;-)
  • My daughter's friends, who while thirteen and fourteen, already show signs of going on that direction (like the girl who wears candy and ears and a tail every day, all day).
    They're barely even teenagers. They're supposed to act like idiots. You're much too worried about this. I'm almost 16, and I am -- with only one exception -- the only of my friends without a summer job. Your daughter will grow up, she might just be a late bloomer.
    Oh no, I'm not worried (much) about my daughter. She's a fucking genius. Much smarter than me. Her friends, I'm not so sure. :)
  • Wow this has been a long discussion here is my opinion on the matter:

• When I was in high school, I was the smart kid. I was top of the class all 4 years, the talented band kid that was in All-State (audition based bands including kids all over the state) and other high profile bands, used big words in my sentences, spoke up eagerly in class (picture Hermione), etc. You can say it was well known that I was the smart kid. Guess what? People made serious fun of me because instead of being a somber, mean, uptight bitch that I was apparently supposed to be, I was always happy, giggling, having fun, joking around, being silly, etc. And I really liked Powerpuff Girls. This seemed to be everyone's favorite way to insult me. "Why do you watch a kids show? You're so stupid!" Yes, they deduced I was STUPID for watching a kids show, even though it was obvious I was the smart kid. Also guess what? Now I am very successful, and most of them are still stuck near home with bad jobs, lots of accidental kids, etc. And I was the stupid one for watching Powerpuff Girls.

So basically ditto what Rym said. (BTW, I think MLP is cute, reminds me of Powerpuff Girls, I wonder why :-P)
  • It must have been easy to grow up in a generation where you never really had to worry about long term unemployment, competitive overseas markets, crippling student debt, or lack of wage increases. Please, tell me more about how my generation was totally not fucked by our parents.
  • edited June 2012
    I'm firmly in generation X. Don't talk to me about being fucked by your parents (and grandparents).

Last time I was out of work, it was for 6 months. If I lose the (highly specialized, pigeon hole) IT job I've got now, I'm pretty much fucked.

Don't get me started about how the lack of universal health care in our supposedly first world country, coupled with the Bush rewrite of the bankruptcy laws, have fucked my family over for life.

My last three annual raises were 1%. I'm at the bottom of the payscale for my position.

Wait.. are we comparing sob stories?

Nobody's arguing that the people who came before didn't fuck us over good. I'm arguing that this generation's response outside of OWS seems largely to be "sit down and cry about it and beg our parents for money."
    Post edited by muppet on
  • Do you know how old you sound right now?
  • edited June 2012
    I guess I'm not brain damaged enough to understand why grown men and women enjoy programming written and presented for 6 year olds.
    I get a TON of enjoyment out of "Mr. Men" on Cartoon Network, for example. I watch it with my 2 and 13 year old daughters and crack up.
    Ummm?
    Just like I can't really enjoy Transformers G1 or Voltron anymore,
    I'm sitting here typing this from my desk at work that is loaded with TMNT, Star Wars, Voltron, and Transformers toys. I get it.
    What?
    Post edited by Glom on
  • Who says I have to be consistent?

Anyway, there's a big difference between sitting among the trophies of my youth, and trying to slog through the series-as-toy-commercials about them that I used to watch.
  • edited June 2012
    Do you know how old you sound right now?
    Back in his day, long before the war...
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Who says I have to be consistent?
    Nobody, but you'd better either admit it or clarify the inconsistency when we call you out on it.
  • edited June 2012
    Who says I have to be consistent?
    Nobody, but you'd better either admit it or clarify the inconsistency when we call you out on it.
    He did clarify, though it could've been an edit:
    Anyway, there's a big difference between sitting among the trophies of my youth, and trying to slog through the series-as-toy-commercials about them that I used to watch.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • He did clarify, though it could've been an edit:
    I saw. He didn't clarify the other thing you pointed out, though.
  • edited June 2012
    He did clarify, though it could've been an edit:
    I saw. He didn't clarify the other thing you pointed out, though.
    I didn't point it out, though it's true that he hasn't really clarified. It's possible that he likes it but doesn't understand why, though realistically I'd assume it was just hyperbole.
  • I don't follow along with this thread so I'm not sure if it's old news, but there are now MLP figures w/o that ridiculous hair and comb stuff. Unfortunately they are sold in blind packaging.

Also, Muppet, you are having one hell of a day.
  • I don't follow along with this thread so I'm not sure if it's old news, but there are now MLP figures w/o that ridiculous hair and comb stuff. Unfortunately they are sold in blind packaging.

Also, Muppet, you are having one hell of a day.
    Blind bags are really old news. I've had blind bag rainbow dash on my desk for many many months.
  • I should add that if Muppet thinks /r/Atheism is representative of a large portion of reddit, he's fuckin' mad. /r/Atheism is one of the few things the majority of reddit dislikes more than bronies, who are at least tolerated.
  • edited June 2012
    Wow, came on to find 50 new comments. Not surprised it's another Muppet-driven argument. This one gives me some nostalgia. This summer most forums seem to have reached an agreeable equilibrium of some kind and the show doesn't have much more buzz than other geek favorites. This thread's been falling off the front page regularly. I wonder if the upcoming wave of conventions, starting with Bronycon this weekend, will stir stuff up again, or if we're past peak pony.

As for the argument, my usual approach is to find the threshold of unacceptability: is it ok for me to like adult cartoons like Futurama? If yes, is it ok for me to love all-ages cartoons like Toy Story 3 or Ghibli movies? If yes, is it ok for me to enjoy slightly girl-oriented family movies like Tangled as much? If yes, what's the difference between that and FiM?

I think there's lots of indefensible stuff that happens in the MLP fandom, but that line gets crossed when people watch the show to the exclusion of everything else, or make creepy stuff that perverts the original intent of the show, or spend thousands of dollars on customs and so on.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • edited June 2012
    I can articulate quite clearly why I like MLP, despite being in my mid twenties. First off, it's got great art design and animation, combining stylized, hyper-aturated 60's-ish character designs and backgrounds with highly expressive flash animation. Secondly, the writing is actually pretty good. Here we have a predominantly female cast of characters, each with their own personal quirks, talents, and flaws, that interact in humorous and endearing ways. This is a show that despite being very pink and colorful passes the Bechdel Test with flying colors. (Flying colors? Hey, Rainbow Dash!) It is a show that, while not necessarily super deep, manages to sooth my heart after a long day at work with humor and sweetness. (This is also the best thing after you get your wisdom teeth out!) I watch this show for the same reason I read fantasy fiction for children, like Howl's Moving Castle. It has a certain innocence around it, a simple love of adventure and camaraderie. I save my Pulitzer prize winning novels for when I crave a darker, more adult, more nuanced vision of the world. My Little Pony is just good clean fun, and good art!
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited June 2012
    Muppet, I see you are Champion-ing. A show that really only lasted a year and a half (With the same number of episodes as MLP), but came from a rich history of children's books. Can you honestly tell me there's never been a single moment in that show that you found patronizing or pointless or the show had a fan who you could identify as demented or irritating?

Also, defend specifically why you don't like My Little Pony. We understand that you find it unsettling that grown people love the show more than the intended demographic. But what about the story don't you like on purely a critical basis of analyzing the characters, story, jokes, setting, etc. I know so many people who simply want to hate My Little Pony, because it's unnatural and yet it has a really strong fanbase. I don't even believe MLP is the pinnacle of Western Animation, but it's still wonderful, creative, and has a (mostly) positive fandom.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • edited June 2012

• On the topic of character depth, these are pretty cool.

• http://9gag.com/gag/4599914 This image pretty much sums up why we like MLP.
  • http://9gag.com/gag/4599914 This image pretty much sums up why we like MLP.
    I think there may be an error with that image, I cannot find where Craig McCracken had anything to do with Samurai Jack.
  • edited June 2012
    http://9gag.com/gag/4599914 This image pretty much sums up why we like MLP.
    I think there may be an error with that image, I cannot find where Craig McCracken had anything to do with Samurai Jack.
    Yeah, people have been confusing McCracken with Tartakovsky a great deal. I've heard that they were college roommates, but they are not the same person. It's sort of like when Rym says not to conflate him with me. Don't conflate Genndy and Craig!
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Okay so one error in that image. Still nothing wrong.