This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic

Comments

• I can assure that I will never gird my loins for ponies under any circumstances.
    So, you always keep your loins ungirded, then? ^_~
  • ...Okay so apparently the word "gird" didn't mean what I thought it meant.
  • edited December 2012
    I don't believe you. I cannot believe that you could make that by accident.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • I thought it meant "to ready" or something like that.
  • I though gird meant to armor, though that's not too far off.
  • edited December 2012
    So has the proverbial Lamnidae been vaulted?
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • Well, I thought that episode was ludicrously good. Best world-building and continuity of any episode in the show, and absolutely every second worked.
  • M.A. Larson doesn't always right a good episode, but when he/she does, it is the best episode. e.g: Sonic Rainboom.
  • edited December 2012
    This episode was awesome. It had everything I wanted from an episode, particularly world building. I loves me some world building.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited December 2012
    Lots of great Fluttershy moments in that one. Perhaps as an apology of sorts for the complete lack of Fluttershy in the original Trixie episode.
    M.A. Larson doesn't always right a good episode, but when he/she does, it is the best episode. e.g: Sonic Rainboom.
    Right? Must Mr. Period get his belt?
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I'll discuss this more on RFE, but I want to see what other people think.

What town was Trixie in when she bought that amulet? It looked like a typical medival fantasy town you see in video game RPGs. But it's not any pony town we have already seen.
  • edited December 2012
    Who knows, but it portrayed the... flexibility of the purchasability of items "too dangerous to sell" well.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited December 2012
    Have we ever seen any horses wear a bridle before in the series, or are the delegation from Saddle-Arabia the first?
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited December 2012
    I'll discuss this more on RFE, but I want to see what other people think.

What town was Trixie in when she bought that amulet? It looked like a typical medival fantasy town you see in video game RPGs. But it's not any pony town we have already seen.
    It could have been a dark district of Canterlot, I don't think the shots we got ruled it out. The architecture, though, makes me think it was probably another big city. Something about it felt vaguely maritime but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's just that the whole shop reminded me of a few settings in the Forgotten Realms city Waterdeep, which I really loved growing up.

Would be very cool if sometime in S3 or S4 we get an episode where the characters try to track down the source of the amulet.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • edited December 2012
    I went into this episode with rather high expectations so with regards to the magic duel, I had thought PERHAPS it would be as good as the fantastic magic duel seen in Disney's Sword in the Stone. Now that one was something.

World building wise however, and character wise, it is just good to see trixie again. Also the theme of corruption when regarding Magic keeps popping up. It may see more light of day in the coming episodes.

As for the town trixie was in, I remember a post on Equestria Daily mentioning that those stills were concept art for an earlier canterlot that was not used. Either that town is just a seedier part of canterlot (which makes sense concerning the existence of such dangerous artifacts-makes me wonder why Celestia doesn't have them locked away some where), or they are simply reusing artwork.

Also this episode pretty much confirms that animal's are sentient and that most ponies can understand their talk in some way.
    Post edited by lifecircle on
  • So wait, Twilight could alter her own personal gravity, messing with a fundamental force yet she couldn't perform an age spell?

Also bravo for turning Trixie's "magic" against her. Sleight of hoof, all that jazz.
  • Damn that's a good thought. Makes good sense.
  • edited December 2012
    ... holy crap.

Wait, the part of the prophecy referencing Luna/Woona/Nighmare Moona doesn't even reference her by name, it simply refers to her as "The Mare in the Moon".

Which still allows this interpretation of the prophecy to be canon (in theory), since it could still easily mean Luna's escape from her madness/corruption/etc.

I apologize if this has been hypothesized earlier in this thread, but suppose (just suppose) Princess Celestia's power over the sun (a star) extends to the stars as well (other suns) and deliberately released her sister for the specific purpose of having Twilight and the others defeat/redeem her with the Elements of Harmony? There has been much speculation as to just how far Princess Celestia's influence as a puppeteer goes, is it a sound theory to say that she organized all these events from the beginning? That she just left her sister imprisoned until she found a promising enough student to take her on?
    Post edited by Icenrose on
  • edited December 2012
    So, Zecora is straight-up Yoda.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who sees this.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • So, Zecora is straight-up Yoda.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who sees this.
    Have you BEEN on Facebook lately?
  • edited December 2012
    I said I was sure, didn't I?

In any case, this episode gets massive points all round.
  • So wait, Twilight could alter her own personal gravity, messing with a fundamental force yet she couldn't perform an age spell?
    A gravity spell doesn't "mess with a fundamental force", it merely warps space. It's quite reasonable for an age spell to be much harder.

On the other hand, Twilight did a time travel spell last season, which would logically be way more powerful than either. However, it could be argued that most of the power of that spell was derived from the scroll and/or its one-use-only nature.
  • edited December 2012
    M.A. Larson doesn't always right a good episode, but when he/she does, it is the best episode. e.g: Sonic Rainboom.
    Which Larson episode is a bad episode?
    Have we ever seen any horses wear a bridle before in the series, or are the delegation from Saddle-Arabia the first?
    The closest I can recall is Spike riding on Twilight when he intended to save Rarity from the Diamond Dogs.

Also,
  • edited December 2012
    Yeah, this episode was awesome. Especially the gratuitous amounts of Fluttershy being adorable. I take back everything about me not enjoying ponies as much anymore.

Also, I'm really liking this recurring theme of dark/forbidden magics, and I'm hoping it will come to an interesting head at the end of the season.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • I wonder how they'll make Snips and Snails older again. :p
  • edited December 2012
    Which Larson episode is a bad episode?
    I thought It's About Time was pretty flat. I've also seen plenty of people rank Secret of My Excess very low in S2, although I disagree with them.
    Post edited by Nissl on