This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic

Comments

• Not bad.
  • If that is "not bad" I can't imagine what you'd consider "good" for a fanmade product produced in just over a year.
  • He didn't say "for a fanmade product produced in just over a year", did he?
  • Good christ though, everyone else is just shitting on it. That's super depressing...
  • Well, it lazily heavily leaned on fanservice in place of original humor and storytelling. The pacing was much slower and relaxed than a typical MLP episode, which I actually liked. It let you enjoy the moments instead of rushing around. A few scenes were a little wonky, though the production value was very high overall.
  • Not bad. There were a few places where the animation felt a bit... off, but it was alright. I do have to wonder the point of putting a face and an evil laugh on the smoke when they didn't really do anything with it.
  • Yeah, good effort! Too self aware for my taste and it does not really care about lore, making it feel removed from the world. But as it is, entertaining with really enjoyable bits here and there.

Also PPG in a more modern flash style looks great.
  • Yeah, good effort! Too self aware for my taste and it does not really care about lore, making it feel removed from the world. But as it is, entertaining with really enjoyable bits here and there.

Also PPG in a more modern flash style looks great.
    Very much this. If I have to say anything, and this is going to sound strange towards an animated movie, is that it needed editing. There are a lot of weird bits where it really slows down.

• This year's mc chris April Fools song is about MLP.

• edited April 2013

A nice pun:
    This is a nice animation set to music:
    http://drakkira.deviantart.com/art/Follow-Me-362624844
    This year's mc chris April Fools song is about MLP.
    It's from last year, actually.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited April 2013
  • Those openers and closers are 1000x better than the originals. "Leave it to Japan", right?
  • This is a dilemma I've been having. Anytime Japan's flavor-of-the-week girl band releases a new OP/ED theme I always turn my nose at it because I assume it's a vapid product churned out by a shallow anime/music industry. But then I'm blown away by how utterly cute and catchy song is, even if the subject of song has nothing to do with the product it's attached to. Maybe I'm just xenophobic.
  • edited April 2013
    This is a dilemma I've been having. Anytime Japan's flavor-of-the-week girl band releases a new OP/ED theme I always turn my nose at it because I assume it's a vapid product churned out by a shallow anime/music industry. But then I'm blown away by how utterly cute and catchy song is, even if the subject of song has nothing to do with the product it's attached to. Maybe I'm just xenophobic.
    To be fair, that's not fair off from the truth. The shallow part anyway.

If you want to lose all faith in humanity, google up Minegishi Minami some time.
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • Those openers and closers are 1000x better than the originals. "Leave it to Japan", right?
    Yeah, they're pretty great, and predictably so.
  • edited April 2013
    *animation*
    Must... re-dub and foley...
    Post edited by Victor Frost on

• To be fair, that's not fair off from the truth. The shallow part anyway.

If you want to lose all faith in humanity, google up Minegishi Minami some time.
    Oh no no no no. I've volunteered as a staff/usher for both AKB48 and Moi dix Mois concerts, so my faith in humanity is thoroughly smashed. If their music doesn't assault your ears, their die hard fans will assault all your other working senses.
  • Does anyone here in this forum have any formal animation skills? I mean professional 2D animating experience. Because I'm seeing these walls of MLP animated vids and they're "acceptable" for fanmade if considering the amount of time spent plus the ambition of each individual project. I'm working on a MLP music video right now and I'm trying to keep the animation close to the show. It's a humbling experience but as with Dorothy pulling back the wizard's curtains, I've also become disenchanted by the show in general. Any other animators here feel the same?
  • edited April 2013
    @GeorgeC
    Working and putting large effort into something is a great way to gauge how much you really feel about a subject in general.

I do animation, although mostly 3D and traditional cell. The fanmade episodes and animations no matter the result, really warms my heart that such voluntary dedication in both skill and effort exist in this community. I cannot in good conscience deliberately ascribe professional critique to these works because the community is blessed enough to have them.

If you're working on a music video, and an animation, by yourself, then of course it is going to be tough and humbling. Good, powerful works are almost never done singularly unless that person is of great mental and technical fortitude. I myself do not claim that fortitude, and I really see no reason to when my proudest creative momments are finishing large projects with a team, seeing everything fall together like a jig saw.

I have tried to analyze the show, but my lack of 2D Flash knowledge presents a roadblock. However that does not discourage me from analyzing and trying out the actual animation style in traditional cell or 3D rigs. We can always learn something, and learning should be a great motivator regardless of whether you "pull back the wizard's curtain". As to whether I feel to be disenchanted by the show, I daresay my work with the community in game and animation projects, as well have my own studies, have made me appreciate it, and the creative community around it, that much more.
    Post edited by lifecircle on
  • edited April 2013
    Tomodachi wa Mahou!

Also, awesome Tavi:
  • @lifecircle
    Thanks for your input, I enjoyed reading it. You seem like you're very aware of where you are in your studies and where you're headed.

But I thought I'd get more opinions on the issue. Maybe there are just too few animators here or the question was irrelevant.
  • My Little Pony: Tomodachi wa Mahou Episode 1 (RAW)
    -Link- https://home.comcast.net/~nebstv/nebstv/mlp.html
  • edited April 2013
    The Japanese voice acting seems pretty good - Twilight's in particular - although I think the English dub is better.
  • edited April 2013
    The Japanese voice acting seems pretty good - Twilight's in particular - although I think the English dub is better.
    Flutershy was pretty spot on (though sounded like a feminine version of Kyubey which was kinda creepy). AJ seemed to play on the old "Cow(girl) = Yank" stitch that japan likes to wheel out and RD was Bokuko-Max (and therefore perfect).

Honestly the JP lives or dies on how it handles "yay" to me. That and not "Fixing" Derpy. The first time makes sense, as it was an animation error and they tend to fix those, but let's not get too crazy.
    Post edited by Conan-San on

• Sweetie Belle X Hatsune Miku
  • Sweetie Belle X Hatsune Miku
    I don't think this means what you think it means.