This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic

Comments

• I was watching Cartoon Hangover stuff then saw this video on the side. It wasn't what I was expecting.

I like the song.
  • What the fuck did I just watch?
  • edited November 2013
    Post edited by Dromaro on
  • Sorry now I've got Sabaton's Nuclear Attack in my head from that gif.
  • that is lucky...I was reminded of When the wind blows:

(Which I just found out when searching for it was written/drawn by the same person who wrote "The Snowman".)
  • edited November 2013
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited November 2013
    Holy shit new pony already. I was wondering if, over the years since october 2010, I would ever find myself drawn away from pony, and while certainly it's been relegated to a background, I am just as interested in watching it as ever.

This is going to be a big momment especially with their dynamics and twilight achieving a new station in life. We certainly need more of this in TV entertainment, especially cartoons.

Any of you guys believed you still would be as invested 3 years later?
    Post edited by lifecircle on
  • I am nowhere NEAR as invested as I was 3 years ago. I used to be all "OMEFFINGGEE I NEED NEW EPISODES!" But now I'm all, "Oh, is the new season starting soon? Okay. I'll try and remember to DVR it but, eh, whatevs."
  • I'm definitely less invested than I used to be, though I was never all "OMEFFINGGEE" before, and I'm not quite that blasé now.
  • edited November 2013
    I'm nearly completely disinvested at this point. I didn't look at anything pony-related since a few weeks after EqG, I'm fairly sure, other than when the first S4 spoiler leak popped up on my Reddit front page.

That said, I still woke up early to stream the S4 opener, despite giving it no thought until I was going to bed last night. Coming in with zero expectations and only a bit of spoiler info, I thought it was pretty darn good. The characters felt right and there were a handful of really good jokes and a lot of solid ones, with no cringeworthy misses like the S3 opener. Very good handling of the mythology and world, which was a real minefield given how much they did, and finally no icky toy inserts, thank goodness. It felt like a reset and return to origins in many ways. There were a couple of rushed narrative hiccups, like many other pony episodes, but nothing too bad. The bottom line was that while it didn't blow my mind, I really enjoyed watching it and it appeared to put the show back on a sound footing moving forward. Actually, this might be my second favorite two-parter behind RoH (keeping in mind I don't love the two-parters in general, and rate ACW much lower than most.)

I'm doubtful the magic is really coming back - I've got lots of other stuff I'm following/working on at this point - but I'll definitely be watching all of S4. I'm no longer urging the show on to hit some kind of artistic perfection, but this morning I found out I'm on board for some more pony. Yes sir.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • edited November 2013
    I'm just amazed they managed to nail down a good old magical adventure type story, this was basically taking what they learnt from the Return of Nightmare Moon, and dialing it up. Sure there were small hiccups, but overall, well paced and really well directed. As episodes go, this is up there with the best of them.

I do wonder what the Tree of Harmony IS though. It is definitely older than the princesses, and reacts to those who bear the elements; seeing as how the Cutie Marks of both the princesses are carved onto its trunk, and how it gave twilight the box thingy. How and why equestria works as it is with friendship as the most powerful magic, the Tree and its species has something to do with it no doubt.

From what I gather, the pulse of the online community is very positive with this opener. Great tone for season 4, let's hope it stays that way!

Also...Discord was the REAL winner here. Just saying. If this was his plan since a thousand years ago or more, well yeah, badass.
  • edited November 2013
    Yeah, I didn't want to post spoilers earlier in the day but I'm super happy with the mythology and worldbuilding here. Discord was very smartly written such that his intentions and actions could be repeatedly interpreted in two very different ways all the way through the end of the episode. He can go in pretty much any direction from here and KCaFO is retroactively upgraded as an episode in my books if we're meant to feel this uncertain about his intentions. Plus the group got a big, and needed, nerf by losing the EoH - let's not see them again until the series finale, or at least next season, please. Plus there's all the questions the tree opens up. Perhaps something that emerged from the planet when the warring tribes settled down together? Could we sometime see a story from an ancient era when others used the elements? How did Celestia and Luna find the tree and learn to use the elements? Do the other races have their own trees? Is there more than one in every civilization? Does the magical mystery box contain a seed for a new tree? Why did the tree finally go weak right when Twilight transformed?

Lots of stuff to speculate about, a decent amount of symbolism to play with, and for the first time in a long time it doesn't feel completely dumb or pointless. It seems like at least some of the questions I posted may have really been thought through and might actually get answered.

Can I just repeat how glad I am that Hasbro didn't try to ram a new toyline that's an awkward fit for the core story down our throats here as in the S2 closer and S3 bookends? If this is what synchronizing the show and toyline means, bring it on. Protect that goose laying the golden eggs.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • edited November 2013
    "Can I just repeat how glad I am that Hasbro didn't try to ram a new toyline that's an awkward fit for the core story down our throats here as in the S2 closer and S3 bookends?"

While I have not much violent objection against those hasbro tied in stories, this opener really feels as if Hasbro has come to let DHX run things how they want since they have seen how well the show is doing and the amount of money it makes for them.
  • Aside from the manufactured minutes of drama, it was a really solid premiere. I'm genuinely interested in what new can develop in Season 4 with all of these new things in place and being practiced. (This new lockbox, Discord, more Princesses?) My main concern is that Twilight still remains the same, and I still really enjoyed everything. But it needs to be consistent with this quality for me to get that big level of hype again.

Also, I have been reading the comics. The main-series is fantastic, especially with the art, visual gags, and the return of villains. The arc of Queen Chrysalis and the arc of the Moon were both unbelievably cool, satisfying, and entertaining.
  • I watched about 5 minutes before I decided that I'm going to wait until the whole season is on Netflix.
  • What with the keys, I'm hoping this season is going to revolve around a quest and/or traveling the world. It's not, but a girl can dream.
  • At least one page on facebook seems to have latched onto the scepter with Twilight's head on it.
  • 4chan's had 4-5 capped cane threads already. Fun new piece of artwork to play around with, I guess.
  • That's going to be modded in skyrim or team fortress 2, if it hasnt been already :P
  • A Draconiquis came to make mischief in my empire.

Unfortunately, I am the High Alicorn of Equestria.
  • OK, that was pretty solid. I guess I'll be watching this season.
  • edited November 2013
    Oh gods XD

photo BZ3PqkKIQAA8_hZ_zps5ccbd499.png

photo 479989__safe_exploitablememe_meme_spoiler-colon-s04e02_princesstwilightsparkle-dash-part2_twilightscepter_popebenedictxvi_zps611a3fd4.jpg
  • Oh gods XD

Skyrim?
  • Oh gods XD

Skyrim?
    Team Fortress 2 and Gary's mod apparently.