This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic

Comments

• edited March 2011
    I had a glance at "Suited for Success". I didn't see an image of Orion, but you're right - their constellations match up to ours.
    Here's a screenshot of Twilight's dress:

I don't know about the accuracy of all these constellations, but Scorpius and Cancer seem to match up. There's something more important to gather from this, though - there's an image of a motherfucking centaur, i.e. part human part horse.
    If humans never existed, why would there be centaurs in the MLP mythos?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • If humans never existed, why would there be centaurs in the MLP mythos?
    Damn straight.
  • edited March 2011
    Also, Fluttershy says "French haute couture" in that same episode. Yes, French. Has knowledge of France that have been passed down through the generations of ponies, or is there a separate pony France that just happens to have the same associations with high fashion?

The pony fashion capital seems to be Canterlot, and the existence of a pony France seems unlikely, so I'm inlined to think that France is the stuff of pony legend.

Does anypony have evidence against the post-apocalyptic Earth theory? If not, then:
    The question remains, why would ponies know about humans? Did they co-exist, or was there a transformation of humans into ponies?

Also, what do modern ponies know about humans? Do they only remember them as the stuff of myth and legend?
  • edited March 2011
    Given the similarities, Ponyhammer 40k mashups are clearly something there needs to be more of.

To quote some random from the Internet,
    "In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only friendship."
  • Centaur is quite easy to explain. Half pony half monster thing from legends.

And I don't see pony France to be so unlikely idea. Maybe it's a province of Equestria.

Also for the season thing. I believe that season would change and all weatherly thing could and would happen naturally, but ponies don't let it to. For ponies things happening naturally is scary, maybe mainly because they have history of at least thousand years controlling everything.
  • And I don't see pony France to be so unlikely idea. Maybe it's a province of Equestria.
    Yea the pony designer in the last eps had a freaking German accent I'm pretty sure.
  • edited March 2011
    Centaur is quite easy to explain. Half pony half monster thing from legends.
    "Monster thing from legends" doesn't cut it. Creatures from legend tend to be based heavily on real-world creatures, such as, in our world, griffin = lion + eagle. I agree with the idea of humans as a monster in pony legends, but it makes far more sense if humans are in pony legends precisely because they used to exist.
    And I don't see pony France to be so unlikely idea. Maybe it's a province of Equestria.
    We haven't seen any evidence for it. However, if it exists, are you suggesting the fact that it's actually called France and its association with haute couture are merely coincidental? That seems unlikely. You'd do better arguing that there is no "France" and "french" is just some kind of adjective in the MLP world.
    Yea the pony designer in the last eps had a freaking German accent I'm pretty sure.
    Sure, but then that could just be evidence that some ponies have German accents as a remnant of pre-apocalypse civilization.
    Also for the season thing. I believe that season would change and all weatherly thing could and would happen naturally, but ponies don't let it to. For ponies things happening naturally is scary, maybe mainly because they have history of at least thousand years controlling everything.
    They have a history of it, but that doesn't explain why they started doing it in the first place. Besides, the snow is hoof-made in a weather factory. Given that, it makes no sense at all for it to be possible for snow to fall naturally. Are you suggesting they explicitly stop snow from falling in order to drop their own?
  • And I don't see pony France to be so unlikely idea. Maybe it's a province of Equestria.
    Also when Rarity was speaking to Pony Gaga, she spoke in French while introducing the outfit.
  • RymRym
    edited March 2011
    I could make up an entire world with vast similarities to our world but which has no canonical tie to it. After all, it's just proper nouns.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Are you suggesting they explicitly stop snow from falling in order to drop their own?
    Almost, but not quite. I'd say that they stop snow falling by making their own snow, real snow and made snow uses same resources, water and cold (actually just water, cold isn't resource). Clouds move on their own in Everfree forest, but why would only a movement of clouds scare you if you still control powers like thunder. I say that Rainbow Dashes scare towards Everfree forest's is it's all natural way of working and that includes weather. Now if weather works normally there wouldn't seasons too? Well it doesn't have to, but I think it likely. So natural season change does exists in the world, but ponies don't like it.
  • I could make up an entire world with vast similarities to our world but which has no canonical tie to it. After all, it's just proper nouns.
    Sure, pretty much any made-up world is extremely similar to our own.
    However, in this kind of discussion of the finer points of the mechanics of that made-up world, you have to postulate the made-up world as real. Once you do that, the similarities to our own world are no longer the expected products of a human brain with experience of the real world; there's now a massive coincidence present, one that begs explanation.
  • RymRym
    edited March 2011
    Once you do that, the similarities to our own world are no longer the expected products of a human brain with experience of the real world; there's now a massive coincidence present, one that begs explanation.
    No, because you're assuming that our world exists in the creative space of the made-up world as a point of reference.

From an external, literary context, then there is a comparison. From from a deductive or internal perspective, the "real" world doesn't exist, as there is no way to refer to it. It's decontextual. To argue otherwise is to say that Dwarf Fortress's world is likely the same as Middle Earth's world because of occasional overlaps of proper nouns.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Now if weather works normally there wouldn't seasons too?
    I don't see why. Weather in general is caused by differences in temperature and moisture within the atmosphere, and, unlike seasons, does not require a tilted planetary axis. Sure, there are a lot of seasonal changes in weather, but there would still be weather phenomena even if there were no seasons.
  • If Lauren Faust ever read this thread I bet she would die from laughter.
    Someone should email her about this. F'serious.
  • Once you do that, the similarities to our own world are no longer the expected products of a human brain with experience of the real world; there's now a massive coincidence present, one that begs explanation.
    No, because you're assuming that our world exists in the creative space of the made-up world as a point of reference.

From an external, literary context, then there is a comparison. From from a deductive or internal perspective, the "real" world doesn't exist, as there is no way to refer to it. It's decontextual. To argue otherwise is to say that Dwarf Fortress's world is likely the same as Middle Earth's world because of occasional overlaps of proper nouns.
    You've got a point. Still, unassuming the existence of all of reality is rather a bold step.
    Without the context of the real world, how is it possible to make sense of a made-up one?
  • Without the context of the real world, how is it possible to make sense of a made-up one?
    With only the information presented in its depiction. The more self-consistent, the more complex this sense can be.
  • Without the context of the real world, how is it possible to make sense of a made-up one?
    With only the information presented in its depiction. The more self-consistent, the more complex this sense can be.
    Well, yes and no. You could look at any fictional world, find its self-consistent aspects, and evaluate it as a world based solely on that.

However, almost every fictional world has the same set of aspects as our world, just with different values for those variables. Biology, Geology, Meteorology, Physics. The fact is that a fictional world could actually have a completely different set of aspects. For example, lots of fictional worlds are "just like earth, but... it's a snow planet Hoth!" or "just like earth but... robots!" They modify just a few variables of earth and it's a new planet. Well, a truly fictional world could have entire variables that don't even conceptually exist on earth. Maybe they have some aaeoijf on the fictional planet. And when they make up fictional worlds to tell stories they imagine the aaeoijf is higher or lower than what it is for themselves. The aaeoijf of earth is null.
  • If Celestia controls the Sun, wouldn't she also control the seasons? The ponies never heated the land to end winter, did they?
  • If Celestia controls the Sun, wouldn't she also control the seasons? The ponies never heated the land to end winter, did they?
    They removed the clouds blocking the sun in the winter wrap up thus causing the warmth of sun to reach the snow and melt it.
    ...Just released that that kinda supports seasons only change because of ponies theory.
  • the states of liquids seem to have stopped responding to temperature when it comes to the process of freezing and the formation of ice crystals.
    Maybe higher atmosphere doesn't correlate to lower temperature. In Sonic Rainboom, none of the ponies had a problem with the cold when they went to Cloudsdale.
  • Maybe higher atmosphere doesn't correlate to lower temperature. In Sonic Rainboom, none of the ponies had a problem with the cold when they went to Cloudsdale.
    In dragonshy Rainbow Dash mentioned that higher you get chillier it gets. Maybe Cloudsdale has some kind of heating system going on.
  • They removed the clouds blocking the sun in the winter wrap up thus causing the warmth of sun to reach the snow and melt it.
    But if the only cause of the difference in temperatures is the presence of clouds, then any cloudy day in summer should be just as cold as a day in winter.
  • But if the only cause of the difference in temperatures is the presence of clouds, then any cloudy day in summer should be just as cold as a day in winter.
    Well ponies control the clouds so it's quite easy to make sure that there isn't any Whole sky is covered in clouds days in summer.
    Commented on her DA page.
  • edited March 2011
    This will be her response:
    Post edited by Rochelle on
    I did that weeks ago and haven't seen anything come out of it.
  • edited March 2011
    To elaborate on a topic from earlier...

I think that there probably were seasons before things got fucked up real badly. I think the reason to keep the seasons using magic (if there is science involved) is so that the land may have a chance to rest. Otherwise, the land would become infertile and the ponies would have to find an alternative source of food other than things like apples.
    Post edited by magnusrex on
  • edited March 2011
    Without the context of the real world, how is it possible to make sense of a made-up one?
    The thing is, depictions of fictional worlds are highly contingent on knowledge of the real world.
    Consider this: we know that the Equestrian ponies speak English. However, if we abandon our knowledge of English in the real world, we can't work out what ponies are saying to each other. Now, in principle we could analyse their speech and work out what they were saying, but the rabbit hole goes even deeper. After all, your ability to analyse the fictional universe requires the existence of your own brain, which is part of this reality. You cannot analyse the fictional universe independently of your own existence.

What principles does one apply in the analysis of a fictional world?
  • Consider this: we know that the Equestrian ponies speak English. However, if we abandon our knowledge of English in the real world, we can't work out what ponies are saying to each other.
    It's easily possible (highly probable, in fact) that the ponies don't speak English, but have a specialized language of neighs and whinnies. The fact that the ponies are depicted speaking English is just a translation convention by Lauren Faust and her team so that we know what the ponies are saying. If we take the hypothesis that the English in the show is translated ponyspeak, the occurrence of proper nouns from our world in the ponies' speech is simply Faust substituting a reference by the ponies that we would not get with a proper noun that we give similar connotations.

However, the fact that there are apparently mythological centaurs strongly suggests that humans existed at some point. My hypothesis: ponies and humans both gained sentience, but magic progressed faster than technology, with Celestia, Luna, and other ancient ponies having genocided the humans in the past.
  • Everyone grab your goggles, head down to Lauren Faust's DA page, and help spruce it up.