This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• Well, doing a little homework is expected, but the GM explaining things to new players is pretty much par for the course.

Also, handy tip - if you have any sort of powers and shite for combats and general use, chuck it down on an index card or the like, with a quick description of the relevant rule, and where you can find it in the book. It's seriously helpful, especially when you're starting out. I also tend to put said cards facedown on the table when I've used them, if I can't use them again until a certain condition is met - for example, if something is "once per encounter" or "once per day", after I use it, chuck it down, and that way I don't have to remember if I've used it that encounter or not, and neither does anyone else.
  • Well, doing a little homework is expected, but the GM explaining things to new players is pretty much par for the course.
    I think if an RPG at a con is going to require pre-con homework, it should be listed as such at the place where people sign up, or at the very least say that it's a prerequisite to be familiar with such-and-such gaming system.

Also the GM's sending mixed messages. First he's all "sure, no problem that you're a novice RPGer," and now when I ask a more detailed question he's "here's the 226 page rulebook, I'm too busy at work to explain."

• Also, Ponies with World of Darkness? Seems to me that it's a case of a GM who has one favorite system and uses it for everything, suited or not.
    Well, doing a little homework is expected, but the GM explaining things to new players is pretty much par for the course.
    I wouldn't expect any homework out of a con game. In con game you should be able to sit down with bunch of strangers to play a system you have never played before and have a good time.
  • Also, Ponies with World of Darkness? Seems to me that it's a case of a GM who has one favorite system and uses it for everything, suited or not.
    Or maybe it's going to go all creepypasta, which I prefer it not.

I am admittedly spoiled on good RPGs. I haven't played many, but those I've played have had fabulous GMs. Such as the games at NerdNYC Recess, which I wish were every weekend, and in my state.

• edited July 2012
    Well, doing a little homework is expected, but the GM explaining things to new players is pretty much par for the course.
    I think if an RPG at a con is going to require pre-con homework, it should be listed as such at the place where people sign up, or at the very least say that it's a prerequisite to be familiar with such-and-such gaming system.

Also the GM's sending mixed messages. First he's all "sure, no problem that you're a novice RPGer," and now when I ask a more detailed question he's "here's the 226 page rulebook, I'm too busy at work to explain."

Oh, I mean like super basic stuff, like what dice or other pre-requisites the system requires, a rough idea of your character(if you're rolling one up rather than going pre-gen), a very rough idea of the setting or system as put forward on the sign up sheet, y'know, five minutes and a bit of googling sort of stuff, nothing too strenuous or in-depth.

It's not 100% nessassary, it's just one of those things that's a good idea, going into the whole deal.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Churba, yeah, I totally agree with that level of homework. And for a longer campaignI'd be willing to study the rulebook, design my character, etc. My objections are mostly the mixed messages and the mismatch with the usual expectations for a 4 hour game at a con.
  • Churba, yeah, I totally agree with that level of homework. And for a longer campaignI'd be willing to study the rulebook, design my character, etc. My objections are mostly the mixed messages and the mismatch with the usual expectations for a 4 hour game at a con.
    My apologies, it's my fault, I didn't state myself very clearly.

My apologies, it's my fault, I didn't state myself very clearly.

No worries, we're good -- I actually thought we were mostly agreeing anyway.

And I like the tip about the index cards.
  • edited July 2012
    If you cannot find the relevant things in the book and asking him for at least relevant page numbers is too much for the guy, just drop it. MLP + WoD is already a disaster waiting to happen.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • Does anyone here have a custom 401k plan? Is it better to just go with a pre-determined plan?
  • It's better to read all the reading material your 401k has to offer and do research before making the appropriate choice.
  • This bugs the shit out of me hearing it all the time so I want to ask:

what is the minimum gross income to be considered "rich" and what do you think is the appropriate tax percentage for them to have paid their "fair share?"
  • One of those days?
  • One of those days?
    Unfortunately it was going to be a good day till my jimmies got rustled by the radio at 10:30 AM.

what is the minimum gross income to be considered "rich" and what do you think is the appropriate tax percentage for them to have paid their "fair share?"
    Minimum? Let's pull a number out of my ass and say "100 times the poverty line." $1.1 million per year for an individual. 70% top income tax rate around that point sounds fair. "Middle class" could be 10x poverty and 35%. Poverty line pays 0% income tax.

Done.
  • One of those days?
    Unfortunately it was going to be a good day till my jimmies got rustled by the radio at 10:30 AM.
    Sad that morning radio personalities will put less work into the conversation than TheWhaleShark just did. :P

• One of those days?
    Sad that morning radio personalities will put less work into the conversation than TheWhaleShark just did. :P

Wasn't the personalities. By and large I agree with them, and at least the ones I listen to want an answer as well. It was a commercial for the station that played a clip of a woman saying "The rich don't pay their fair share!" At least Whale Shark quantified it, rather than give some pie in the sky generalization.

Well, the minimum amount one must make to be in the top 1% of income is 500,000 so that might be a good number to use (source: Planet Money).
  • It's probably time for me to start getting serious about my salary negotiations. So many of my friends doing similar jobs to me are getting paid so much better, and I've been adding to my responsibilities regularly... so it's time to buckle down and grab a cert or two, while figuring out what I need to ask for.

That said, do you guys have any resources on determining what average wage is for a particular job title in a geographic area? I used to have resources like this, but not anymore.
  • glassdoor.com has pretty decent estimates.
  • It's probably time for me to start getting serious about my salary negotiations. So many of my friends doing similar jobs to me are getting paid so much better, and I've been adding to my responsibilities regularly... so it's time to buckle down and grab a cert or two, while figuring out what I need to ask for.

That said, do you guys have any resources on determining what average wage is for a particular job title in a geographic area? I used to have resources like this, but not anymore.
    I agree glassdoor.com is decent. Though it sounds like your friends are showing you already what you should be making. There is no set number for anything, it depends on the employee upon hiring, the company, and the location, but there should be a general range expected. I went through the same thing with my old job. Just inquiring about my friends' salaries and doing a little Googling made me realize how underpaid I was. Then I got a new job for more than double, that was more like it ^-^.
    Difficult part is negotiating when they know your previous salary, because they think you're only worth that much, even if it was just the company being cheap and shady. You have to be confident about it and know the comps to use as a bargaining tool, and be willing to turn them down if its not high enough. Because the lower you take, the harder it is to get more in the future.
  • edited July 2012
    Anyone know the word for things that are referred to by brand names instead of the generic name for that thing (Kleenex, Q-Tips, etc.)?

EDIT: Nevermind? I think there's a less fancy word for it, but this'll do.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Tissues, cotton swabs, and adhesive bandage.
  • Trademark dilution? ;-)
  • My neck hurts something fierce. Any suggestions besides a cold pack?
  • Tissues, cotton swabs, and adhesive bandage.
    Those are the generic names, not what I was after. There's a word for things that are referred to by brand names, instead of generics, and that's what I was after.
    Acupuncture. Works every time.

Homeopathic acupuncture. Just don't overdose by missing a session.

+1

LMFAO