This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• If I was going to have business cards made should I do it for my company with my name on it or should I make personal ones? I'm leaning toward the latter. Perhaps "Professional badass"?
  • edited July 2012
    If you take a girl home to your small studio and have to inflate the bed, she's going to think you're a loser. If you take a girl home to your small studio and flip the bed out of the cabinets, you look like a badass.
    And if you invite a girl home and pull two traditional Japanese futons out of the closet and lay them on the nice clean floor, it will be the best sex of your life.
    Apparently we know what gets Emily going...I'll also probably never look at your living room floor the same way. :P

EDIT: Independently, this is any option I hadn't considered. Will look more into other sleeping on the floor options.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • If I was going to have business cards made should I do it for my company with my name on it or should I make personal ones? I'm leaning toward the latter. Perhaps "Professional badass"?
    Ugh. Seems like every friend who is having business cards made insists on putting something like "Dragonslayer" or "Wordsmith" at the end of their cards. Kind of put me off on the subject, even though I was going to put "Parseltongue" at the end of mine (as a nod to my preferred programming language).
  • My job title at my new place actually is something silly. It's "Backup Chris", as my job is to basically deal with the overflowing workload of another employee.
  • My neck hurts something fierce. Any suggestions besides a cold pack?
    Acupuncture. Works every time.

Homeopathic acupuncture. Just don't overdose by missing a session.

LMFAO
    Fuck you all. I laughed so hard that my neck started hurting again. ;-;

• Wise words from Twitter: Remember guys: a girl may or may not be offended if you ask her, her age. But at anime conventions, you can't afford to not take that chance.
  • edited July 2012
    Wise words from Twitter: Remember guys: a girl may or may not be offended if you ask her, her age. But at anime conventions, you can't afford to not take that chance.
    Word of advice, if she is appears under 30, always ask her age. No exceptions.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • I really mean Random Comments.
  • If you had to assemble a heist team composed of members of this forum, who would you want on your team, and what would the heist entail?
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2012
    If you had to assemble a heist team composed of members of this forum, who would you want on your team, and what would the heist entail?
    Gomidog = Jewel/Money/Treasure Runner
    Churba = Driver & Arms Dealer
    Rym = Strategist
    TheWhaleShark = Science Officer
    Conrad and Apreche = Hackers
    Anrild & Ryan = Disguise Masters
    jtvh, Constantine, and Greg = Kani Goalkeeper wranglers
    Post edited by Geo on
  • During the planning stage I'd get Churba to help me draw up a plan and round up the equipment we need. I'd consult with Rym on bank security, just in case he's picked up a thing or two working in the financial sector. Joe Boomer would provide comic relief all the while.

Once we're on the ground I'd have Churbs (cool headed, thinks on his feet, knows the plan), Code (willing to hurt people, intimidating, good with computers/electrical systems), and Nineless (he's a talking cat) in the bank first. Grey would be in the discreet TV van parked a block away, feeding instructions and intelligence to those on the ground. Joe, WuB, and I would be two blocks away hotboxing the getaway car.
  • I think it kind of goes without saying that Churba is pretty much the backbone of any FRC forum heist.
  • edited July 2012
    Pretty much Walker's plan, but I'm a decent driver, too. At least, good enough to be the wheelman if Churba can't be.

Also, I'm about as good in a chem lab as I am in a bio lab. Which is to say, very good. Whatever you need for a heist, my friend, I could probably make if Churba can get me the gear (which he probably could).
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Pretty much Walker's plan, but I'm a decent driver, too. At least, good enough to be the wheelman if Churba can't be.
    That is why you're in the car.

• edited July 2012
    I've always wondered how much thermite you'd need to pop a bank vault. Thermal lance, drill charge holes instead of cutting a hole? Easy.
  • I've always wondered how much thermite you'd need to pop a bank vault. Thermal lance, drill charge holes instead of cutting a hole? Easy.
    The mythbusters tried that and burned up all the money. And went through like five thermal lance charge thingies.
  • Did I mention I'm working on being a radiologist? Get me a portable x-ray unit. I'll be your box jockey on the mechanical side, Grey can work out the electronics.
  • edited July 2012
    I was going to say that if I had a heist WindUpBird would definitely be on the list, for the reasons he is pointing out. I would agree with Churba being a big part of any FRC heist.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • If you had to assemble a heist team composed of members of this forum, who would you want on your team, and what would the heist entail?
    Churba. That's all you'd need.

OK, maybe Churba and Kerr_2.0. Though I'm not sure what happens when you put an Aussie and a New Zealander together in the same place.

• edited July 2012
    ...maybe Churba and Kerr_2.0. Though I'm not sure what happens when you put an Aussie and a New Zealander together in the same place.
    Magic or rugby, flip a coin.

• ...maybe Churba and Kerr_2.0. Though I'm not sure what happens when you put an Aussie and a New Zealander together in the same place.
    Magic or rugby, flip a coin.
    Both, magic rugby.
  • edited July 2012
    I've always wondered how much thermite you'd need to pop a bank vault.
    A lot, and you'd have to drop in on from above, too hard to contain and focus it if you go from the sides. And you have to resign yourself to the idea that you're going to loose some of the contents of the vault, if you can even get through the steel reinforced concrete outer. A Thermal lance is a better bet, you'll still lose some potential loot, just less of it. But let's face it, that's an inevitability with an outside-to-inside breach method of gaining entry.
    Thermal lance, drill charge holes instead of cutting a hole? Easy.
    Unlike a small safe, it's a viable method, if difficult. Your best bet is to get through to the rear or sides of the vault, and torch out a section. The concrete is too well reinforced to go in with explosives alone - well, not quite, but you need a shitload of explosives. The fastest but noisiest way would be simply making your own doorway with a shaped RDX charge - High enough brisance to shatter the concrete, but you'd still need a fair bit, and it would be noisy as hell.

Slightly slower but a hell of a lot quieter, instead of cutting a hole, I'd bore or drill a large amount of holes, in a larger rectangle shape, and with an inner pattern to break up the "door" section so it doesn't have to be dragged out, then plug them with NoNex(a low explosive used for breaking rock and concrete) and pop it. One ready-made doorway.

Slowest of all, but super quiet, I'd drill the same pattern of holes, but use a non-explosive expansive demolition agent, like Dexpan. It's a substance that simply expands with great enough force to shatter the concrete surrounding it. The Reinforcing would be a problem, since unlike the more explosive options, it doesn't do much to the reinforcement structure, but that's a surmountable problem. Also, it can take anywhere from three hours to 24 hours do finish doing it's business, but let's face it, quiet, effective, quick, pick two.

Unless you want to go in the front, of course. In which case, your best bet is to lance a nice big circle around the edge of the door to get through the concrete-and-steel cladding that protects the locking bars, then go through the locking bars with a cutting charge or charges - it would have to be hefty, but easy enough - along with the hinge, if accessible, then tear the door open. That's what I'd call the stupid way, since it requires going in through the front, which would be an easily noticeable operation. Especially if you had to run a nice thick cable to the door, to rip it out, if it didn't come open when you popped it with the cutting charges.

Note, don't stand in front of the door, till you know it's secured. Just because you're now an incorrigible criminal taking advice from questionable Australians, doesn't mean you shouldn't be thinking safety third. That big fucker will turn you into raspberry jam, if you get in it's way.

Also, you'd have to put in the work beforehand, because you'd need to either deactivate or spoof the vibration, heat, and motion alarms, and whatever else they have, I've heard tell of vaults that have...well, it's either capacitance or conductivity based alarms, but basically, if you disrupt the metal reinforcement, it trips the alarm, because either there is a measurable drop in conductivity or capacitance, I can't remember which.

And of course, this is the simplicity of a single step, getting into the vault. This does not even consider yet the acquiring and extraction of one's soon-to-be ill-gotten gains. Not to mention the information acquisition and planning necessary to get to that stage.

Of course, we're open to ideas, here. I'll wager y'all have plenty, and we still have plenty to plan. Maybe we should make a thread for this, it's entertaining mental exercise.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Churba is speaking from experience. He practices with Payday.
  • edited July 2012
    Churba is speaking from experience. He practices with Payday.
    Lies, if I was going to perform a heist, I wouldn't have something conspicuously go wrong every time to provide excitement. Nor, ideally, would there be a body count.

It's not that hard, really. Do you know about concrete? Do you know about explosives? Do you know a bit about construction and demolition? Congratulations, you've got most of the tools necessary to figure out a plan module like that.
    Post edited by Churba on

• Gomidog = Jewel/Money/Treasure Runner
    Rym = Strategist
    WOO HOO!!!!! Oceans Crustacean.
  • edited July 2012
    Gomidog = Jewel/Money/Treasure Runner
    Rym = Strategist
    WOO HOO!!!!! Oceans Crustacean.
    WHY THE FUCK DID I NOT SEE THIS BEFORE? Don't answer that, instead answer WHY THE FUCK AM I NOT ON THE LIST? I hope I am not alone when I say that the Breakfast Club won't let its members just wander off to almost certain death (Rym's strategy will result in him having the most possible money) all by themselves!
    Lies, if I was going to perform a heist, I wouldn't have something conspicuously go wrong every time to provide excitement. Nor, ideally, would there be a body count.
    You lie!
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • The reason that you haven't seen it before is that it doesn't exist outside Japan. It has no foreign releases, and no torrents of it subbed in any language or raw exist as far as we can tell. It also isn't in print any more. We haven't found any way to get it short of going to Japan and finding a second hand DVD brick and mortor store that sells it and buying it there. I know it is oft that I say something is impossible only for one of you to show me I should've used slightly different search terms, but I don't think this is the case.
  • edited July 2012
    Yeah, don't care at all about the fictive Oceans # film (I would've seen it already anyway), I was more concerned about not having seen Geo's comment. Gotta stop being lazy when I point out people are lazy.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • Payday is pretty much the only thing that makes me slightly regret selling my PS3.
  • Nine if I ever plan bank heist you can be the guy who gives the motivational speech before the heist. It probably won't be very motivational, but it could be entertaining.

Alternatively you could be the guy who walks in the bank and shouts "This is robbery" while the real heist happens in another bank.