This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• The only barbecue we don't include is English, because English barbecue is about ruining meat above and grass below using over oven trays full of coal.
    Fuck off thats fine British cooking your slagging of there! The grass smokes it as it burns everyone knows that.

• I'm taking the piss a bit, don't worry.
    Figured as much, but wasn't entirely sure. I figured Aussie BBQ was more or less that, you lot being the hodgepodge you are.
  • The only barbecue we don't include is English, because English barbecue is about ruining meat above and grass below using over oven trays full of coal.
    Fuck off thats fine British cooking your slagging of there! The grass smokes it as it burns everyone knows that.

Fine British cooking a is an Oxymoron. It wasn't until your empire collapsed and people with taste moved in from the colonies that flavor was introduced to the UK.
  • I am of course joking our BBQ are to cooking what the gulf oil spill was to birds. We do have some redeeming culinary qualities though yes the vast majority of us are diabolical when it comes to BBQing anything. That said a home made one of half an oil drum sunk into the ground, post either side and filled with fine oak was a great summer cooker.
    I am of course joking our BBQ are to cooking what the gulf oil spill was to birds. We do have some redeeming culinary qualities though yes the vast majority of us are diabolical when it comes to BBQing anything. That said a home made one of half an oil drum sunk into the ground, post either side and filled with fine oak was a great summer cooker.
    That's a damned fine barbecue right there. And SOME british people can barbecue, I just mean the traditional style, where you take a few disposables out to the park.

I made a pretty decent amount of money basically using my reputation of being Australian and a bit of word of mouth - By basically catering people's parties and barbecues. I'd charge them a bit of cash and a bottle of rum,

• It was brilliant worked really well. There are two extremes of the evil of British barbecuing. The first is the "lads" gathering, a collection of students and entourage getting very drunk and getting food poison as quickly as possible. The second is the back garden barbecue where everyone suddenly becomes a master at burning food and doesn't take criticism.

That said watching what the engineering department comes up with is pretty impressive save for when the reenactment lot get really drunk and start to roast. That is a master class in cooking vast quantities of good meat.
  • Hey people that know guns; how much of a difference would one of those attachable stocks from like, old broomhandle mausers make in terms of short-range accuracy and handling on a pistol? I know it would steady up your aim for longer-ranged shots, but part of me thinks it would probably be more awkward than useful for police work.

I'm statting out the upgrades for Hardboiled and I don't want to make any assumptions.
  • Well, it's a bit of a trade off.

Obviously, it's not going to be quite as handleable as a pistol would, since it's about an extra foot long. It's light, and if you know how to move, you can still shift your shit real quick, but still not quite as quick as a bog-standard pistol.

On the other hand, your accuracy and repeatability is going to go way up. When you're shooting a pistol, grip is important, stance is important. Put a stock on it, and snug it in real well to your shoulder, you're going to make a lot of that almost entirely go away, along with making recoil much more manageable for making fast and accurate follow up shots.

Now, that said, would you use it for police work, like the hard-boiled, gritty, noir style police work? Probably not. It's going to slow your draw, lower your maneuverability, and change the way you move entirely. For that kind of work, you want the speed and flexibility that a traditional pistol would offer, I would think - the situations requiring the distance accuracy you'd gain wouldn't outweigh the times you'd be getting down and dirty with someone close by, close enough that you don't need that increased marksmanship with your pistol. It's not something you'd want to carry around like that.
  • edited August 2012
    Cool, thanks. I'll probably represent it by forcing you to keep the pistol + stock in a hostler type that takes more than one round to take out, make it decrease long range penalties, and have it cut down on the autofire accuracy penalties from automatic pistols.

(I'm doing an item book that will cover... basically every single piece of armour, weapon and tech conceivable in the setting so that the rulebook won't be cluttered with items, and there'll be a universal reference for any future books I do. So lots of non-police shit like military gear and safari adventuring stuff. The PDF will be packaged with the sourcebook.)
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • Shit, I forgot about that, I was thinking semi-auto, since you mentioned the Mauser - Automatic pistols would be where it would really shine, that's what you'd really want to be putting it on. Little bit above the weight of a pistol, handling and easy recoil compensation of an SMG, plus you can convert it back to a regular pistol if you need to? That's where you'd want one - it's an alright mid-point between an SMG and a regular pistol, and it'd be cheaper and easier to get for criminals and hard-boiled detective types alike.
  • Somehow I am reminded of Leon's upgraded pistol in RE2.
  • edited August 2012
    An automatic handgun with a stock is submachine gun for all intents and purposes.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • An automatic handgun with a stock is submachine gun for all intents and purposes.
    I know. But I'm trying to frame it as this -

Versus what most people think of when they think Submachine gun, which is more like these two:

So, yeah, it's pretty much a submachine gun, but it's the different visual that comes up in people's heads that I'm trying to use to help explain. Plus, the handling characteristics are kinda different.
  • As part of my efforts to become zombie ready, I just purchased a 5 watt, 40 channel, portable cb radio for $10. What should my handle be?
  • As part of my efforts to become zombie ready, I just purchased a 5 watt, 40 channel, portable cb radio for $10. What should my handle be?
    Get an actual HAM radio license from the FCC and you'll get a handle.
    Three Dog.
  • edited August 2012
    As part of my efforts to become zombie ready, I just purchased a 5 watt, 40 channel, portable cb radio for $10. What should my handle be?
    2 Chainz.

Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Hard times... hard times...
  • edited August 2012
    As part of my efforts to become zombie ready, I just purchased a 5 watt, 40 channel, portable cb radio for $10. What should my handle be?
    This is a CB radio, not a HAM radio. You don't need a license.

Post edited by Victor Frost on
    This is a CB radio, not a HAM radio. You don't need a license.

Gold Ring.

• Why Gold Ring?
  • ... okay I feel stupid.
  • Does anyone know what the conductivity of NaOH should be at different molarities?

1M, 0.5M and 0.1M specifically.
  • Does anyone know what the conductivity of NaOH should be at different molarities?

1M, 0.5M and 0.1M specifically.
    I think 1 M NaOH should be ~40,000 PPM. So using this table, you should be able to get an estimate.

• Does anybody know who the hell these guys are? My parents brought them home from India for me.

• Anyone know which site has the best deal on Windows 7?
    You can get the system builder's edition from Newegg or Amazon. I think you may also be able to just get a digital download and key instead of DVDs in some cases.
    Thepiratebay.se, but I think you mean legally.