This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• edited August 2012
    I mean I'm sure it's tasty Ro, but it's not BBQ if you bake it.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I mean I'm sure it's tasty Ro, but it's not BBQ if you bake it.
    Yeah, it's gotta at least encounter a barbecue for it to be BBQ. I guess you could bake it over/in coals?
  • edited August 2012
    I'm a GA resident and have lived here for six years. I also have a southern belle for a GF.
    What exactly does that mean in a modern context? I assume she doesn't wear hoop dresses and own negroes.

No slaves, but maybe a hoop dress if I'm at a certain convention. :-P

I was born and raised in Georgia, I suppose that makes me southern.

BBQ goes on ribs/brisket/pork sammiches (the more slathered on the better) and hot sauce goes on wings, end of story. Grits are a tasty breakfast side esp. with cheese, boiled peanuts are the snack from heaven, and pee-can pie is the staple dessert. Oh, and the more sugar in iced tea, the better.
    Post edited by Lyddi on
  • Well, if it's at Rym's of course I can't grill. I hear Scott has one, but grilling takes a while as well as concentration. Baking is the simplest solution. I know a proper bbq takes time, but I'm working with what I got.

If it were a perfect world, I would take you to a real Chamorro party where they prep for days and you would see platters of food on warmers on tables and the food never ends.
  • Well, if it's at Rym's of course I can't grill. I hear Scott has one, but grilling takes a while as well as concentration. Baking is the simplest solution. I know a proper bbq takes time, but I'm working with what I got.
    Fair play, fair play. Ever had barbecued tiger prawns basted with garlic? I hear it's good stuff.

• I will never understand food snobs. Life is short. Put ketchup on your green beans if you like them that way and leave everybody else the fuck alone. Deep fry your Mars bars and eat butter from the wrapper. Drink coffee made from beans excreted by exotic cats. Who cares?
  • I will never understand food snobs. Life is short. Put ketchup on your green beans if you like them that way and leave everybody else the fuck alone. Deep fry your Mars bars and eat butter from the wrapper. Drink coffee made from beans excreted by exotic cats. Who cares?
    I care, it's better the ways I say!
    I agree with the sentiment, but why settle for hot-dogs when you can have steak?

Unless the're really good hot-dogs.

I agree with the sentiment, but why settle for hot-dogs when you can have steak?

Shitty steak also exists.
  • That recipe looks like I might dig it. I will try this.

Shitty steak also exists.
    Only if you do it wrong. I can't afford awesomes cuts of steak on a regular basis so I've perfected making steak from the cheaper cuts.
  • There are cheap cuts, and then there are cuts so bad that no degree of culinary skill can save them.

That said, eating meat rare is a pretty good rule of thumb for salvaging all but the worst quality cuts. Rare meat is tender meat, most of the time.
  • I've pretty much mastered medium rare.
  • I find it funny that a debate about BBQ and now steaks has been spawned from the mere mention of a particular cut of meet.
  • It is Wednesday. We have nothing better to do. Plus Andrew sucks.
  • edited August 2012
    There are cheap cuts, and then there are cuts so bad that no degree of culinary skill can save them.

That said, eating meat rare is a pretty good rule of thumb for salvaging all but the worst quality cuts. Rare meat is tender meat, most of the time.
    Crap cuts shouldn't be served as steak. They deserve to be in fajita's or stew or some other method of preparation that's more forgiving.

There is no cut of meat so bad that you cant use it to make soup.

Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • You are all wrong unless its burnt to a crisp we Brits know how to BBQ!

Also proper Aberdeen Angus beef in any form is to die for.
  • That said, eating meat rare is a pretty good rule of thumb for salvaging all but the worst quality cuts. Rare meat is tender meat, most of the time.
    I'm actually used to the opposite logic being employed. The more gristly cheap stuff needs the most cooking to break down properly and become useful.
  • I find it funny that a debate about BBQ and now steaks has been spawned from the mere mention of a particular cut of meet.
    It's Julia Child's 100th birthday. I think it's fitting we talk about food in her honor.

• Rice cooker is of paramount importance.
    Only in a dorm room. >_>
    George is not Asian style, he does not understand the necessity of the rice cooker. Instant Kamameshi FTW.
  • Rice cooker is of paramount importance.
    Only in a dorm room. >_>
    George is not Asian style, he does not understand the necessity of the rice cooker. Instant Kamameshi FTW.
    I guess I do usually only make American long grain rice. Seriously though, a small pot and a stove has been all I've every used and needed.
  • Yesterday I made risotto with risotto rice.
  • Basmati rice is what I usually use. Though, on the whole, I prefer pasta to rice.
  • edited August 2012
    Indian and mexican style food is my preference for home cooking. It's easy, uses stuff I've already got around. Indian just takes time. Mexican is quick fix.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • I'm late but:
    Texas BBQ is the best BBQ. Namely brisket slow cooked using mesquite logs/coals marinated with a thick tomato based sauce.

• edited August 2012
    I think I've got to throw in with Andrew on the BBQ debate since north Florida is basically south Georgia. I really enjoy non-American BBQ too though.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • I am from south Georgia and I have to say most barbeque sauce taste quite bad and a lot of people here have no idea how to properly barbeque. Most seem to think throwing some random barbeque sauce from a store on some meat and throwing it on the grill is all you need to do, those people are wrong.

That said, when done right it is outstanding here. I remember my dad would barbeque when I was a kid and he made the sauce and marinade from scratch, everyone loved it. People used to invite themselves over when he would have a barbeque, which is one of the reasons he stopped doing it, but it was always great. Was it better than everyone elses way of doing it, probably not, just different. Two people may barbeque very different from one another but as long as what both make tastes great I am not concerned with labeling it one way or another.

I should also mention I have not consumed meat in 7 years so some of this is based on memory but it should be accurate unless barbecuing has changed dramatically over that time.
  • I think I've got to throw in with Andrew on the BBQ debate since north Florida is basically south Georgia. I really enjoy non-American BBQ too though.
    This offends me both as a man, and as an Australian.
  • edited August 2012
    Which part? North Florida being south Georgia (cause it is)? Or liking BBQ that's not from America? I don't see how that could possibly be offensive. Never had any Aus style so I've not got an opinion about it.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • I'm taking the piss a bit, don't worry. We're like the all-inclusive version of barbecue - We have both Texas/Georgian/South US style barbecue, along with Asian style barbecue, and some Caribbean and Mediterranean thrown in for fun.

The only barbecue we don't include is English, because English barbecue is about ruining meat above and grass below using over oven trays full of coal.