This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• It's okay to pronounce words wrong. Just go with it.

(I live in Germany, so this serves me well.)
  • edited August 2012
    I know more than one internationally trained European chef that call it "goo-dah." Same goes for every cheese maker and monger I've ever met.
    How many of them are from the Netherlands?

None, closest I've met to that was Swedish, and he hasn't mentioned Gouda around me.

Post edited by Walker on
  • Does french have any syllables that are pronounced similarly to "ow"? I don't think I have heard such a syllable in french before, but I may be wrong there. It could be the reason and the evolution of this mispronunciation.
  • edited August 2012
    Thats how my German speaking girlfriend has drilled me to say it.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • AmpAmp
    edited August 2012
    Oh you Greg....you.
    It's okay to pronounce words wrong. Just go with it.

(I live in Germany, so this serves me well.)
    I tried to do that. Being beaten by and angry person shouting at you in German changed that.

Post edited by Amp on
  • So, I recently found my old psych report from when I was diagnosed with ADD, and while reading through it (I was a crazy kid) I found I took an intelligence test and got a score that would get me into MENSA. I have no desire to be in MENSA, really, accept that it might look impressive on a resume. So, is there any chance that the MENSA boost on my resume could be worth $63/year?
  • If you think it'll help, just take the test and pay the fee before you start looking for jobs, then don't pay the fee the following year long after you've acquired said job.
  • So, I recently found my old psych report from when I was diagnosed with ADD, and while reading through it (I was a crazy kid) I found I took an intelligence test and got a score that would get me into MENSA. I have no desire to be in MENSA, really, accept that it might look impressive on a resume. So, is there any chance that the MENSA boost on my resume could be worth $63/year?
    Never understood MENSA. If you're smart enough to get in, you should be smart enough to not want to be in.
  • I've always presumed Mensa was a scam. If I saw it on a resume, I'd think less of the applicant, not more.

But maybe it isn't a scam. I've never cared enough to find out.
  • It's not a scam, just an expensive certificate of smartness.
  • What is the point of Mensa? Are they a group for the acceptance of people with problems brought on by high intelligence?
  • What is the point of Mensa? Are they a group for the acceptance of people with problems brought on by high intelligence?
    It's a non-profit composed of people in the 98th percentile according to IQ, basically. Most of what the organization does is programs for gifted children, funding education, literary programs and awards, and higher education scholarships. They also do meetings, encourage research, provide a bit of a network for qualified people to connect to other qualified people if they need their expertise, and so on. They're on the up and up, even if it's not the most useful thing to be in for all people.

• They also have their own board game convention.

http://mindgames.us.mensa.org/about/
    On my first neuro-psych exam they had to check to make sure I wasn't a genius.
  • If only high IQ was the only factor in wealth and success, geeks would be ruling the world (and sailing on yachts with hot bitches left and right.)
  • My dealings with Mensa people have been pretty mixed. Some of them have only been discernibly intelligent on paper. There's also the triple nines. A former employer of mine specifically went to meetings in some silly attempts to hook up with an extraordinarily smart girl because he had some ubermensch complex about having a genius kid.
  • Learn how to do your gotdamn laundry, eat right, and wash yourself. Go to sleep and wake up at a reasonable time. Take care of yourself.
    Did anyone really not have these skills before they went to college?
  • Learn how to do your gotdamn laundry, eat right, and wash yourself. Go to sleep and wake up at a reasonable time. Take care of yourself.
    Did anyone really not have these skills before they went to college?
    I didn't go to college, moved out on my own when I was 17, so I imagine my experience is probably atypical for the group.

Going to bed on time was probably my biggest issue. Everything else, you did or you stunk. Who wants to stink?
  • Well I'm personally still working on eating right, but I have feeding myself down pretty well. I was competent in the kitchen before college.
  • I definitely had some issues with taking on way too much caffeine on a daily basis between coffee and soda, food that was easy to get to wasn't necessarily the best, and laundry was a fucking ordeal in the dorms well beyond what it should be.

I love my private apartment, personal laundry machines, and not having to clean up after anyone else in the kitchen sooo much.
  • My dealings with Mensa people have been pretty mixed. Some of them have only been discernibly intelligent on paper. There's also the triple nines. A former employer of mine specifically went to meetings in some silly attempts to hook up with an extraordinarily smart girl because he had some ubermensch complex about having a genius kid.
    Truth. Being intelligent doesn't mean someone isn't a right dickhead.

• Well I'm personally still working on eating right, but I have feeding myself down pretty well. I was competent in the kitchen before college.
    I used to buy these frozen "Create A Meal" packs with vegetables and sauce, then some boneless chicken back before you needed a second mortgage to buy boneless chicken, and some rice. It wasn't the best thing ever, but I ate.

My cooking is still pretty simple but it's come up a bit. ;-)
  • Cooking for one, your best friends are:

1. Dinner rolls
    2. Fresh salad greens and related salad stuff
    3. Ham steaks
    4. Cans of vegetables

Other than the greens themselves, salad stuff (croutons, sunflower seeds, walnuts, cheese, etc...) lasts quite a while. Make a big salad every other day and eat it for two days alongside whatever you cook.

Ask Emily. I make a mean damn salad at this point. ;^)
  • Cooking for one with Crohn's is a little trickier, but your method is sound for most. :-)
  • Rice cooker is of paramount importance.
  • Cooking for one, your best friends are:

1. Dinner rolls
    2. Fresh salad greens and related salad stuff
    3. Ham steaks
    4. Cans of vegetables

Other than the greens themselves, salad stuff (croutons, sunflower seeds, walnuts, cheese, etc...) lasts quite a while. Make a big salad every other day and eat it for two days alongside whatever you cook.

Ask Emily. I make a mean damn salad at this point. ;^)
    Holy shit you know about the ham steak! People keep saying it's a myth.
  • Which is not a Pork Steak, which is apparently an at least slightly more midwestern/southern term in my experience.
  • Ham steak is a 1cm(ish) pink slab of already cooked ham: heat it up and eat it up. Pork is white, properly covered with pineapple.