This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• I think I'll make a less shitty comic with the same moral.
    Every Moral is better with Hobo King.
  • I think I'll make a less shitty comic with the same moral.
    Go for it! I would reply to the above comic with one of my own, but I'm too busy clubbing my brother as if he were a baby seal.
  • edited May 2011
    I'm going for it. This is gonna be adorable.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Another question: So I have that scratchy/slimy feeling in the back of my throat. I'm afraid I may have caught the bug my mother has. What does one do to try to help prevent it from getting worse? I know those Airborne/Zycam stuff is all hooey, but anything other than taking lots of vitamin c and liquids?
    I had an upper respiratory infection with post-nasal drip and to take care of phlegm I took Mucinex D (and motrin to bring down my fever), two steamy showers a day and salt water nasal rinses before bed. If there is a lot of phlegm I'll double the salt content of the rinse. Hot tea and throat lozenges helped with the swallowing knives feeling.
    I spread my plague to James and because I knew he got the same thing as me I started him on the Mucinex/steam/motrin much earlier than I got to and his was much easier to deal with as a result.
  • Mucinex D is the shit.
  • Mucinex D is the shit.
    Be on FNPL today. I wanna hear you up on antihistamines.
  • Mucinex D is the shit.
    Today? imokwiththis.jpg
  • edited May 2011
    I had an upper respiratory infection with post-nasal drip and to take care of phlegm I took Mucinex D (and motrin to bring down my fever), two steamy showers a day and salt water nasal rinses before bed. If there is a lot of phlegm I'll double the salt content of the rinse. Hot tea and throat lozenges helped with the swallowing knives feeling.
    I spread my plague to James and because I knew he got the same thing as me I started him on the Mucinex/steam/motrin much earlier than I got to and his was much easier to deal with as a result.
    Thanks for the advice.

I'm currently at home now. I mostly have a few body aches, no fever, and a cough has developed. I also have congestion but I figured it was due to the seasons and have been taking psuedophedrine off and on for a while now. No phlegm, but still a mild irritated throat.

I do have throat lozenges and even though I don't like tea, I warm up apple cider to help out with it. I may try tea. I do like green tea whenever I go to Japanese restaurants. Perhaps I should check the tea thread for some suggestions.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Does anyone else find that bayer asprin comerical racist? The one where the guy is on a japanese plane and asks the flight attendent for something for pain? She gives him some asprin and he then explains to her like she is a moron that he is not having a heart attack? And for that matter we found out about asprin as good for a heart attack after it was already out....
  • Mucinex D is the shit.
    It's Wednesday you crazy kid.
  • You know, if I had the exact same schedule, but lived on the east coast, I could actually record on Friday.

As it is, Time zone fail on my part.
  • Who's on this FNPL?
  • Who's on this FNPL?
    Rym, Scott, Luke, Sonic and I.
  • Good, good, good, host, ... oh god.
  • edited May 2011
    So I'd like to obtain a German Army Jacket. Does anyone know what they really look like? I do not mean Nazi Germany. I mean contemporary. Luke maybe you can help....
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • So I'd like to obtain a German Army Jacket. Does anyone know what they really look like? I do not mean Nazi Germany. I mean contemporary. Luke maybe you can help....
    What, like the field coats with the German flag patches that are so trendy these days? Google for Army Surplus stores. You'll easily find one.
  • Is there a website similar to monoprice for cheap memory cards?
    DealExtreme.
    Newegg.
  • Hypothetically, how would one go about removing a weld without any sort of fancy tools?
  • Hypothetically, how would one go about removing a weld without any sort of fancy tools?
    What type of metal and what type of weld?
    Kick and punch the shit out of it? Or get some HCl?
  • What type of metal and what type of weld?
    Unknown. We're trying to take an engine mount from a scooter and attach it to a bicycle without any tools suited for such a job (they're a few towns over and that would require driving).
    Kick and punch the shit out of it? Or get some HCl?
    I was wondering if there was a way more clever way of going about it than hammer and chisel.
  • What type of metal and what type of weld?
    Unknown. We're trying to take an engine mount from a scooter and attach it to a bicycle without any tools suited for such a job (they're a few towns over and that would require driving).
    If it's stainless, galvy, or chromed, DON'T weld it. But, you can (and this is an incredibly risky enterprise) link several car batteries in series, clamp one electrode to the frame with a jumper and clamp the other to an arc cutting rod. Look for tutorials online.

Best bet: Buy a $100 arc welder from Harbor Freight and invest in a decent helmet. Weld away.
  • We're not looking to weld here. We've got no training or tools. We want to unweld it or destroy the welds.
  • Dry ice/liquid nitrogen and a big hammer? Do you know anyone that has an electric drill or saw?
  • edited May 2011
    You need a welder to cut. You can learn to cut in about 30 minutes.

EDIT: Or get a handheld grinder with a cutoff wheel.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • We can get a grinder, but that's almost an hour away.
  • Hacksaw.
    Hell, if a hacksaw is your option, you should just drive, get the grinder, and then head back and use that. You wouldn't be a tenth of the way through a hardened steel engine mount with a hacksaw by the time you got back with a proper grinder. A reciprocating saw with a metal-cutting blade would do it, though.