This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• Databases are very critical to web applications and generally any application that handles a lot of data. I've used SQL and document databases and just learned both on my own. SQL is kinda a weird concept to wrap your head around at first but the more you work with it the easier it gets. Our school had a Databases class that I didn't take but a friend took it and he switched classes. I remember others saying it was an "easy A" class. My friend said it was a joke so he didn't want to take it.

There's important concepts to know about databases (especially SQL) though. Two scripts can do the same thing but the way you write them can drastically change their efficiency. Indexes are also a pretty big deal. I'm fucking terrible at that stuff and I've tried to learn it a couple times only to forget it almost immediately. I would probably recommend just reading a book on the subject at some point in your studies. I think a course may be a waste of time.
  • Probably not.
  • Thanks for the insight.
  • Do any 4X games take into account the tactical significance of rivers?
  • People in IT/CS, is it worth joining the ACM?
  • Omnutia said:

Do any 4X games take into account the tactical significance of rivers?

Civ and Paradox give you penalties for attacking over a river, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.
  • Has anyone invested in a franchise? I've got some money that I'd like to invest, and partial backer of a franchise/bar sounds decent.
  • edited September 2014
    What's the best key exchange website? The MIT one? Or is there something more modern?
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • I can invite you to keybase if you like.
  • Yes please. I thought I had seen something like that before but it's impossible to find with google.
  • I'd also appreciate it, if you still have a spare.
  • Looks like I'll be moving on to using PGP as Australia's Government continues it's shitty moves towards setting up firewalls and implementing metadata harvesting.
    Pegu said:

People in IT/CS, is it worth joining the ACM?

If you have the time and coding is the only geekery you're into, go for it otherwise it's not worth it. Especially if you have significant travel time to get to competitions (usually on weekends).
    It helps you flex problem solving muscles or it shows you that other people just know perfect solutions off by heart.
  • As far as programming contests are concerned, Google Code Jam requires significantly less of a commitment than the ACM competitions do.
  • Would it be better to start a grocery delivery company that delivers anything you could buy at a grocery store, or it only delivers fresh goods like meat, poultry, seafood, and produce?
  • Would it be better to start a grocery delivery company that delivers anything you could buy at a grocery store, or it only delivers fresh goods like meat, poultry, seafood, and produce?

Assuming you don't live in range of Amazon Fresh, Amazon already delivers all the shelf-stable items in the grocery store. If you can find a location where there isn't competition from Fresh Direct, Peapod, etc. and deliver just the perishables, it could be successful among those who already buy everything else from Amazon.

Fresh Direct exists and delivers both.

• edited September 2014
    Apreche said:

Would it be better to start a grocery delivery company that delivers anything you could buy at a grocery store, or it only delivers fresh goods like meat, poultry, seafood, and produce?

Assuming you don't live in range of Amazon Fresh, Amazon already delivers all the shelf-stable items in the grocery store. If you can find a location where there isn't competition from Fresh Direct, Peapod, etc. and deliver just the perishables, it could be successful among those who already buy everything else from Amazon.
    Granted I haven't done the market research yet but I'm within 30 minutes drive of two Amazon distribution centers, so probably the ultimate endgoal is to be bought out by Amazon. I'm trying to target the people who don't have access to fresh food and thus have to rely on shelf stable and frozen foods to get by in the first place. I know for a fact there isn't Fresh Direct or Peapod in my city, though, so I guess I have done a little preliminary market research.

Edit: And yeah Amazon Fresh is out on the West Coast while Fresh Direct and Peapod are on the East Coast.
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • Some questions are more random than others. Why are dentists' offices always playing Judge Judy or Dr Phil?
  • Why do you always visit when those shows are on the air?
  • They're never not on during business hours.
  • Over here it's always The Price is Right or else on the 50's game show network.
  • I'm going to visit a friend in Chicago this winter, but I've never had winter before. What clothes should one be wearing to stay warm? Coat, pants, warm undies, etc. Assume I know nothing about winter clothes, and you'll be right.
  • Ruffas said:

I'm going to visit a friend in Chicago this winter, but I've never had winter before. What clothes should one be wearing to stay warm? Coat, pants, warm undies, etc. Assume I know nothing about winter clothes, and you'll be right.

You know those PAX scarfs? This is where you can use them, also get a good pair of gloves and a hat for your head in addition to the aforementioned items.
  • Staying indoors is your best bet.
  • Coldguy said:

You know those PAX scarfs? This is where you can use them, also get a good pair of gloves and a hat for your head in addition to the aforementioned items.

I know I should get a coat, but what kind? When I think coat, I think rain coat, and that probably won't cut it. What makes a good winter coat, pants, etc.?
  • How are Federal Mandates constitutional?
  • I believe because of the Supremacy Clause.
  • edited October 2014
    Herp derp.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Banta said:

I believe because of the Supremacy Clause.

But first Congress has to have the power to make the law in the first place. Take, for example, No Child Left Behind. There's nothing in the Constitution that allows for Congress to make laws about education. How was it legal?
  • Greg said:

Banta said:

I believe because of the Supremacy Clause.

But first Congress has to have the power to make the law in the first place. Take, for example, No Child Left Behind. There's nothing in the Constitution that allows for Congress to make laws about education. How was it legal?
    It's legal because the states don't have to accept the federal education funds, but if they do...