This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• I'm going to guess, since I haven't looked up NCLB, that it was through the Commerce Clause.
  • Banta said:

I'm going to guess, since I haven't looked up NCLB, that it was through the Commerce Clause.

It's almost always the Commerce Clause. The courts have ruled time and time again that yes indeed, the Commerce Clause is indeed as broad and open as it is worded. Congress can pretty much make any law whatsoever as long as there's something about money in there.
  • Apreche said:

Congress can pretty much make any law whatsoever as long as there's something about money in there.

Their discretion is not unlimited, but the limits are very out there.

• Seems like the Taxing and Spending Clause allows Congress to spend money while attaching conditions on those funds.
  • But NCLB was a mandate (meaning states couldn't refuse it) and unfunded (meaning no money was attached).
  • Greg said:

But NCLB was a mandate (meaning states couldn't refuse it) and unfunded (meaning no money was attached).

I'm pretty sure that NCLB was only applicable to public schools receiving federal funds, and that a bunch of states have waivers that exclude them from NCLB, in exchange for the promise that they'll raise standards under their own steam.
  • Commerce clause is used even in the absence of commerce because you can't say "absence of commerce" without "commerce".
  • Ruffas said:

I know I should get a coat, but what kind? When I think coat, I think rain coat, and that probably won't cut it. What makes a good winter coat, pants, etc.?

Illinois winters can be variable. Sometimes it's extremely cold (like last year's Snowmageddon) and other times it barely gets below freezing. Prepping for them has to be just as variable.

Hats - Stocking caps/knit caps/tuques/watch caps/various other names are usually your go-to in colder weather. Your choice on whether you want one with a pom-pom on top

Scarf - Long enough to wrap around your neck a couple times and then tuck into your coat on both ends. Wool or some other breathable fabric is recommended as you'll be able to pull it over your face to cut the wind chill.

Coats - This is where the variability comes in to play. If it's on the warm side (e.g., above 20F with no wind-chill) then you can probably get away with a nice lined pea coat or trench coat. If there's any wind chill to speak of or if you think you might want a hood to pull up over your cap and scarf, go with a parka. Quilted lining is nice, as is fleece.

Shirts - Layers are key here. You'll typically have an under-shirt/t-shirt and a sweater/over-shirt at a minimum. If it's really cold, you might want to go for a thermal under-shirt instead of the t-shirt, or you may add it over the top of the t-shirt.

Gloves - another variable. If it's warmer you can get away with a thin, lined pair. If it's colder, you'll want a heavier pair that cover more of your wrist, like ski gloves.

Pants/slacks - unless it's massively bitter with an extreme wind chill, you can typically get away with regular old denim jeans. You might want to get a pair of thermal underwear (a.k.a. "Long Johns") to go under them if you do expect really cold weather.

Boots - You want something that's waterproof and goes up to at least your ankle. Higher might be necessary if you're dealing with deep drifts, but if you're in Chicago proper then you probably won't. They don't necessarily have to be rubber boots, but stay away from anything that's totally a cloth upper. Leather is your friend in this case, but be sure to dry them out properly. Also, be on the lookout for a pair with good traction on the bottom, as you may be walking on ice and snow from time to time, and you don't want to end up on your ass.

Socks - Thick, possibly wool if you're not allergic. Sure, they'll be scratchy, but they'll keep your feet warm. If it's too cold, you can always double-up on them.

You may also want to consider a nice pair of sunglasses. The glare of sunlight off of snowbanks can really tire your eyes out in short order.
  • How to winter

Is it possible to rent the outerwear? While I don't want to freeze to death, I'd also like to avoid spending a few hundred dollars on things that I'll only use for a week.
  • Why not have your friend visit you where it is warm?
  • In short: my girlfriend has never seen snow and has got a romantic idea of a white Christmas/NYE into her head (as well as wanting to get out of FL while I'm back), flights were cheap, and I haven't seen the friend in a while.
  • Ruffas said:

How to winter

Is it possible to rent the outerwear? While I don't want to freeze to death, I'd also like to avoid spending a few hundred dollars on things that I'll only use for a week.
    All you really need is a jacket. Go buy a cheap one with a removable liner and you'll be set (Columbia makes some nice ones, and there are many good off brands as well). If it's not gonna be snowing or below freezing all you really need is a hoodie or a sweater unless you're super sensitive to the cold.
  • edited October 2014
    Ruffas said:

In short: my girlfriend has never seen snow and has got a romantic idea of a white Christmas/NYE into her head (as well as wanting to get out of FL while I'm back), flights were cheap, and I haven't seen the friend in a while.

Oh hell, I assumed you were going to be here for longer than a couple weeks. Like Ilmarinen said, just go get a heavy jacket with a removable liner, a medium-weight set of gloves, and a hat. You should be good to go with those plus a pair of boots if you don't find yourself freezing your ass off.
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • If you want to go real cheap buy what you need from a goodwill store when you get there.
  • Is there any meaningful difference between 6/8 time and 3/4 time? It seems to me like if you put a line through the middle of every measure in a piece in 6/8 and change the stems, it would be completely enharmonic.
  • edited October 2014
    They're completely different beats.

This explains pretty decently: http://forum.emusictheory.com/read.php?5,1515,6769
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Alright. Funny that post calls out Norwegian Wood as being either, because that was the example my theory teacher gave us for a song in 6/8.
  • Is MAGFest still one of those events I could probably still get tickets and a hotel to in January?
  • Is MAGFest still one of those events I could probably still get tickets and a hotel to in January?

Eeyup, although this year I focus more on the tickets since there are rumors of a cap (not pax extreme).

As for hotels as long as you don't care about staying in the Gaylord (Saturday is already sold out) plenty of near by options.
  • Outside of Characteristics of Games, what are some solid books on game theory?
  • Do you actually want a book on game theory, or just a book on critical analysis of games?
  • The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses by Jesse Schell is GREAT.
  • Do you actually want a book on game theory, or just a book on critical analysis of games?

Give me math.

On an unrelated note, Animal Crossing or Fantasy Life?
  • Ikatono said:

Do you actually want a book on game theory, or just a book on critical analysis of games?

Give me math.

On an unrelated note, Animal Crossing or Fantasy Life?
    Rune Factory.
  • I actually bought Animal Crossing immediately when I saw it was $25. And I'm still a little burned out on Rune Factory games after I got my flash cart. I'll probably have to wait another year or two before I get RF4.
  • edited October 2014
    Banta said:

Both.

Ikatono said:

Do you actually want a book on game theory, or just a book on critical analysis of games?

Give me math.
    Ken Binmore's Playing for Real is a pretty solid textbook on game theory that goes into the math without being too dry.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited October 2014
    Get ready for some statistical analysis.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Does anyone know how laptops switch between ac and battery power without turning off? Do they have an internal ups?
  • Ilmarinen said:

Does anyone know how laptops switch between ac and battery power without turning off? Do they have an internal ups?

I BELIEVE (with 0 research) the battery is in-between the AC power and the motherboard. If a power fluctuation is short enough, the computer doesn't notice.

(And yes, they do have an internal UPS. You use it every time you don't plug in the laptop. It's called the battery.:P)