This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• edited July 2011
    I'm looking to get a monitor off of craigslist so I can dual monitor my Laptop. I have a bit of money to spend and have been thinking that it would be a nice little addition to my desk, provided it isn't too big.

Any tips for buying from craigslist? What should I look for in a cheap monitor?
    Post edited by JukeBoxJosh on
  • I'm trying to test out a couple things with Wordpress (from wordpress.org - deployable on your own site, not wordpress-hosted and capable of using add-ons) and I need a free host atm just to work things out before the site is actually ready. Any ideas?
  • edited July 2011
    I picked up an old ps2 phat for like $5 a while back but the dvd drive seems to be dead. Is there any way I could still hack it to play ripped games off of a hard drive? If not, how hard is it to swap out the disc drive?
    What exactly is the disc drive doing? As far as playing off of a hard drive I have only heard of a few people doing it and I have not heard many of them liking it too much.

Here is an eHow article on troubleshooting disk read errors.

If that does not work I can find an article describing how to change out the laser. It is not that difficult, much easier than changing out the PS3 laser (trust me on that one), but I would recommend instructions if you have not taken a PS2 apart before.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • A friend of mine introduced me to a friend of hers today, and I got a text just now saying "What did you say? She doesn't want to see you again, because she thinks you're "really fucking frightening""

It actually made me kinda sad, I mean, I'm not that scary, am I?
  • A friend of mine introduced me to a friend of hers today, and I got a text just now saying "What did you say? She doesn't want to see you again, because she thinks you're "really fucking frightening""

Nah, you aren't scary. Plus, at least you haven't been called "socially retarded" or "a cancerous boil on the ass of humanity".
  • "a cancerous boil on the ass of humanity".
    I don't recall being called that, ever. Weird.

I'd say you're intense, but not frightening. She's probably just uncomfortable around strong personalities.
  • What exactly is the disc drive doing?
    Its been a while since I've tried it but if I remember correctly it just wouldn't know there was a disc in the drive at all and would just try to load forever.

Were you wearing your three wolf moon t-shirt?
  • Am I the only one who gets creeped out by AKB48?
  • Plus, at least you haven't been called "socially retarded" or "a cancerous boil on the ass of humanity".
    I've had the first one, but just not from this lass. The latter isn't a new one to the ear, but most of the people who would think so lowly of me don't think in phrases that long.
    I'd say you're intense, but not frightening. She's probably just uncomfortable around strong personalities.
    That's possible.
    Were you wearing your three wolf moon t-shirt?
    I have it tattooed upon my very flesh.
  • I have it tattooed upon my very flesh.
    Which flesh exactly?
  • Its been a while since I've tried it but if I remember correctly it just wouldn't know there was a disc in the drive at all and would just try to load forever.
    Sounds like the laser could be dead but I would say trying cleaning it if you have not already.

Incase you have tried here is a link to instructions on how to replace it. The instructions are okay, and I would definitely recommend having a set of written instructions available when doing it just incase, but I recommend searching for how to do it on YouTube and watch someone do it their first. Make sure to read the written instructions too since the videos tend to leave out one or two steps, or make a step seem easier than it normally is.

I personally recommend that if you do need to replace the laser you should go on Amazon or Ebay and price the laser you will need and then price the best deal you can find on a PS2. I have seen PS2s going for $20 on Ebay and I know that some of the old PS2 fat lasers are around the same price so it may just be smarter get another PS2.
  • Did someone once make a scriptmonkey script that removed Nine's posts from the forum? If so, I'd really like a copy.
  • Did someone once make a scriptmonkey script that removed Nine's posts from the forum? If so, I'd really like a copy.
    Yes. I did.
    Yes. I did.
    Then can I please have a copy too?
  • edited July 2011
    Then can I please have a copy too?
    I don't have the Greasemonkey script on this laptop. If I still have it anywhere even. I could make one again though.

EDIT: Found it. Didn't work though, just needed a minor rewrite. Also already put in my current user ID, making it even easier for you to be a cunt. Download, open with Firefox, install, ???, PROFIT!
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • Are there any NDS emulators for android with sound? Modern devices should be capable, right?
  • Does anybody know if I could legally sell a poster of this?
  • edited July 2011
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Yes.
    Sweet.
  • For those with smartphones, how much data do you guys go through in a month? What do you consider normal? At first I was using 2GB, then 4GB. This last month I went through 6GB, and I've recently discovered the NPR app for me to listen to more news. I'm so happy I have an unlimited plan.
  • Unlimited plan so I don't even pay attention on numbers.
  • Yes.
    Sweet.
    Was the dog on the flag and the text your addition or someone else's? If either the dog or the text (or both) was someone else's work, it becomes a derived work of that other person and you need to understand the license on that work first. Adaptations of the original painting and whatnot are, as Sail said, okay.
  • edited July 2011
    For those with smartphones, how much data do you guys go through in a month? What do you consider normal? At first I was using 2GB, then 4GB. This last month I went through 6GB, and I've recently discovered the NPR app for me to listen to more news. I'm so happy I have an unlimited plan.
    T-Mobile with a phone bought outright, unlimited data/text, something like 500 mins talk I never use: $60/mo. If you have T-Mo subsidize your phone, $70/mo. Then again, the former is not on a contract, the latter is; once AT&T; gobbles up T-Mo, I don't know if they must maintain the plan for non-contracts as they must for contracts.

EDIT: I think I checked usage once and it was under 6 GiB at the end of the month. I imagine it's pretty variable, and I often tether my netbook to my cellphone for some interwebs.
    Post edited by Byron on
  • What's the term for small utility functions?
    Functions like clean_list, double_number, and so on...

I don't mean lambda functions.
  • edited July 2011
    For those with smartphones, how much data do you guys go through in a month? What do you consider normal? At first I was using 2GB, then 4GB. This last month I went through 6GB, and I've recently discovered the NPR app for me to listen to more news. I'm so happy I have an unlimited plan.
    I don't go through much data, but that's only because I connect to WiFi whenever possible. I've got WiFi at home and at school, so I don't put much stress on my data plan. I also have a separate iPod with all my music, so I don't have to stream everywhere.
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • I don't go through much data, but that's only because I connect to WiFi whenever possible. I've got WiFi at home and at school, so I don't put much stress on my data plan. I also have a separate iPod with all my music, so I don't have to stream everywhere.
    Well my work does not provide WiFi, and I'm on DoD property so any access to WiFi would be for government use only. I mainly use the 3G whenever I'm not at home.

I'm really enjoying the use of streaming podcasts that I forget or was too late to sync to my iPod.
  • Was the dog on the flag and the text your addition or someone else's? If either the dog or the text (or both) was someone else's work, it becomes a derived work of that other person and you need to understand the license on that work first. Adaptations of the original painting and whatnot are, as Sail said, okay.
    Well, I didn't make the dog or anything, but I did put him on the flag and put the words there.
  • Well, I didn't make the dog or anything, but I did put him on the flag and put the words there.
    Then you need to license the dog itself
  • Then you need to license the dog itself
    Curses, foiled again.